Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im kind of new to the sport quad world. I have a Grizzly 600 which I piurchased new in 2000. It has always been unimpressive. I recently picked up a Kawasaki KFX 700. That thing is awesome.

Somebody always has to come out of the woodwork and ruin it for me. A neighbor stopped by and said his Raptor 700 is 100 lbs lighter and would destroy my KFX. I looked it up and found the raptor is indeed much lighter. I guess it only stands to reason that the raptor would rule the roost so to speak.

I was so intrigued with the thought that the raptor could be that much better than my beloved KFX that I purchased a very clean 660 raptor. Now that I have rejetted it to better match the modifications, its a BEAST!

Another neighbor stops by and says his Suzuki 700 King quad would destroy both the KFX and the Raptor. I also hear the the YZF450 is faster than the big bore raptors.

There is always somebody faster. I understand this. I am just curious if the YZF450 or the King Quad are really faster. Any input on this?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Stock for stock they are all about the same with the YFZ having the edge(Raptor 660-700,YFZ) but with intake exhaust and jet kit(fuel controller for the 700) the raptors will beat up on the 450s. King Quad :rofl: not a chance but rider makers a big difference to. My old DS650 could beat many quads that it should not beat just because of the rider.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
your raptor should walk all over that king quad and if he beats you just ask for a race with some corners.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A stock 660 raptor isn't verry impressive at all, but once you start modifying it you will be verry impressed. first thing probably to do is full exhaust intake mods and jet kit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Actually my 660 has a full exhaust, a Pro Design intake kit (K&N filter, open top air box) and I just finished jetting it properly thanks to the input found on this site!

I ride on my property and on the many miles of winding dirt road around my area. While the KFX will wheelie, the 660 stands on its back tires out of every corner. I often have to back off the throttle as the front will keep rising. I think I would like to find a longer swingarm and lengthen the wheelbase a bit. It came with a +2 +2 wider axle and wheel spacers. I removed the front wheel spacers in the interest of correcting the steering geometry and not stressing the front end components.

I have alot of toe out which has scared the bejesus out of me on the 5th gear - flat out straights; it will veer left or right about 3 feet randomly. I will fix that in the morning by dialing it in to 1/8" toe in.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
widening it up with a-arms will be a night and day difference in stability and cornering performance. there are people who can extend your stock swinger fairly cheap or if you keep your eyes open you can buy a swingarm extension on ebay...

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Raptors in general are pretty much the king of the 4-pokes currently... dunno that much about stockish bikes, but built it's pretty obvious...

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts
Im pretty sure the majority of the fastest bikes in the west are 700's. But I have seen that the DS's are damn fast when fully built. YFZ's can be fairly fast but 700's can be much faster. The honda 450 can be extremely fast though, Ive ran with one than can put drag raptors to shame, but thats the 1 450 ive seen that will outrun a drag 700. And ive seen 1 660 that defenitley hauls ass too, but the 700 has the largest group of fast bikes in the FSA.

Big bore championship race, notice no king quad's or kfx's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts