Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got this raptor 660 of my friend and all it needed was a camshaft. so i bought a new stock cam and ive put it back together. i lined the I mark on the flywheel through the hole on the side cover and lined the cam with the two punch marks level with the engine head and the one punch mark facing up. i have the cam lobes are facing down. I bought new gas and carbs are cleaner then a whistle. she turns over but wont fire. what am i doing wrong someone please help me ??

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You first removed, and reset and then replaced and tensioned the timing chain tensioner after replacing the cam, and buttoning everything down, right?

Why did it only need a camshaft - what were the symptoms and how did you verfiy that nothing else was wrong?

Have you performed a compression check?

Have you checked for spark?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Welcome to the forum.............

Check all what Quad has said..........
Are you sure the valve lash is set properly..............

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah shes got spark and i relized all i needed was a cam because when i was riding it it lost power and stalled but it wasnt seized i pushed her home and removed the valve cover n ireka there the cam sproket bolts snapped off so i bought a new sprocket and cam set. i put it all back together again and it backfires once in a while but it just floods itself it sound so close to starting but im sure i dont have the timing out n does it matter if the cam chain has jumped i dont understand how to find tdc compression??

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
when at tdc according to the I mark on the flywheel the valve rockers are touching the valve spring and the cam lobes are facing down is that right??
TDC is when the piston is at the top of its travel, usually indicated by the I on the flywheel corresponding with the pointer in the small window, when this is aligned, line up the cam gear so the three dots are above the head valve cover mating surface, with the two bottom dots as close to parallel with this mating surface when the cam chain is tight a the front, keeping the cam lobes downwards, then install the valve cover with sealant and then install the tension with out bot and spring with the ratcheting plunger all the way in, then install the spring and bolt into the tensioner, you can also adjust the valves in this position.............

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Use the I - it is TDC, the H is for ignition timing. The three marks on the sprocket must all be visible - one centered at the top and the other two even with the head's flange - if I recall, the two at the head flange get covered by the decomp weight retainers, so you have to line it it up before installing these.

Make sure to pull the tensioner out when you're messing with the sprocket timing and reset the plunger to minimum extension before putting it back in (without the spring and bolt). Don't put the spring and bolt back in until everything else has been cranked down, including the head cover.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Download the manual (free in a sticky at top of 660 Maintenance section) and read the posts above, that's why we took the time to type them - you've been told "I" several times.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
right on boys i gott her running but now im wondering if the cam chain is no good just saying cuz theres is a noise comeing from the head how can u tell if its no good??
Check the tensioner, if it is all the way out, the chain is no good, remove the tensioner after you remove the bolt and spring........

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Remove center bolt and spring from tensioner, then remove other two bolts and tensioner - how far out is the plunger? If it's to the last few clicks, chain is stretched, if not, try adjusting the valves.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.