Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2004 raptor 660. I was riding the other day and in the middle of my trip out of no where it suddenly died on me. It was full of gas and I also have a new carburetor on it that I’ve been using for about 4 months now with no problems. It will crank over just fine by the starter just will not start. I got it home and did some testing and there is absolutely no power getting to the spark plug. I’ve previously replaced the stator, ignition coil, plug wire, and the regulator because of a previous issue of the stator going out. What else could stop me from getting spark?

·
Master of the Electron
15,316 Posts
Unplug the regulator. Does spark return?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unplug the regulator. Does spark return?
No it does not, and I have previously replaced the stator around 3 months ago. Could the CDI have anything to do with this? Or does it sound like there could be a short in the wires or even the spark pickup inside the stator case might have broke lose?

·
Master of the Electron
15,316 Posts
There is nothing in your posts that will help in determining the cause of loss of spark.

Why did you replace all four items if the stator was at fault? Give more history and as much info as you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is nothing in your posts that will help in determining the cause of loss of spark.

Why did you replace all four items if the stator was at fault? Give more history and as much info as you can.
I only replaced all of the items because it all came in a kit so I figured I might as well just go all of the way. It was all just $50 off eBay but had done the job for me so I didn’t see a problem with it. After this new issue though the battery still has almost 13 volts and using a multimeter the stator isn’t showing that it has any shorts so I think that the stator would be fine. When installing the stator though one of the bolts holding the spark pick up box in snapped and I did need to use an extractor to get the rest of it out. The hole was not damaged while doing this and I did buy oem bolts to put it back in along with high temp lock-tight on all of it. Using the meter there is no power getting to the ignition coil but I don’t know how to trace it back any further.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And when it shut off I had previously turned the idol screw down and it had no issue staying running but while i was driving I had quickly let of the throttle while pulling the clutch in and it slowly died off without being able to bring it back which made me originally think that it wasn’t receiving fuel. But after I got back I could clearly smell gas as if it was flooded. And while pulling it back to my truck I tried push starting it which it did feel like starting but was not running off of its own power. Just from being pulled.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then to test if it’s getting power to the starter coil I have been using a snap on 12v circuit tester light but I also have used the multimeter didn’t show anything either.

·
Master of the Electron
15,316 Posts
Have you checked for spark?

$50 for the whole kit? I have to tell you that often you get what you pay for. Chinese parts that are glutting eBay seldom perform well or for long.

What exactly was wrong with your original stator? Trade your original parts back in (one at a time), except for your stator if you had no spark with it, and see if you recover.

I'm making a side bet that it's a short between windings in your new stator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I have tested to see the spark by holding the plug next to the block and I didn’t see any, but to rule out the possibility of a burnt up plug I used a circuit tester as well.

the original issue I had with my stator was that once I turned it off, it could not turn back on without unplugging the regulator.

If I plug the multimeter into the connector for the stator is that a possible way to test if there is a short? Or is there another way to test without taking the stator out and connecting it to the winding itself?

I will try to replace out the original parts and get right back with you

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you checked for spark?

$50 for the whole kit? I have to tell you that often you get what you pay for. Chinese parts that are glutting eBay seldom perform well or for long.

What exactly was wrong with your original stator? Trade your original parts back in (one at a time), except for your stator if you had no spark with it, and see if you recover.

I'm making a side bet that it's a short between windings in your new stator.
After putting back the factory regulator and coil there is still no spark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts