Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 raptor 660 that I cant get to run right
I bought it and the issue was it would only run at idle on choke, cant rev it or it will sputter and die. heres a list of what ive tried already

Replaced carbs with set off ebay that came off a running machine, and did a quick clean, still same issue
Replaced spark plug
Checked valve clearances, all within spec
messed with electrical, nothing out of order
Checked carb boots, looked fine, even sprayed ether around them and sealed them up with rtv sealant, and nothing

Another thing to add is it smokes alot when its started cold on the choke and me and my friend held a rag to the end of the carbs and it was able to rev a little bit so i dont think its a rev limiter from the reverse wire or parking brake wire.
and we also held a rag to the exhaust end when it was cold and running on choke and there was no oil, so the smoke is not from the oil

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have an 02 raptor 660 that I cant get to run right
I bought it and the issue was it would only run at idle on choke, cant rev it or it will sputter and die. heres a list of what ive tried already

Replaced carbs with set off ebay that came off a running machine, and did a quick clean, still same issue
Replaced spark plug
Checked valve clearances, all within spec
messed with electrical, nothing out of order
Checked carb boots, looked fine, even sprayed ether around them and sealed them up with rtv sealant, and nothing

Another thing to add is it smokes alot when its started cold on the choke and me and my friend held a rag to the end of the carbs and it was able to rev a little bit so i dont think its a rev limiter from the reverse wire or parking brake wire.
and we also held a rag to the exhaust end when it was cold and running on choke and there was no oil, so the smoke is not from the oil
Welcome to the forum.................
As I tell everyone with this type of problem, clean the carbs properly, which means dismantle the carbs completely, remove all jets and soak them in carb cleaner, rod the jets with fine wire and blow them out with air. Pay attention to the pilot jet circuit and to the fuel screw passages..........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes im planning to do that, but my reasoning to the situation is, i had a set of carbs on it when i bought it, and they acted the same, with only runs on choke and no reving off idle
so i bought a new set of carbs cause the guy i bought it from said he messed with them alot, so i figured a new set of carbs would fix it off a running machine, but i get the same problem with a different set of carbs

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
yes im planning to do that, but my reasoning to the situation is, i had a set of carbs on it when i bought it, and they acted the same, with only runs on choke and no reving off idle
so i bought a new set of carbs cause the guy i bought it from said he messed with them alot, so i figured a new set of carbs would fix it off a running machine, but i get the same problem with a different set of carbs
And have you cleaned this bought set of carbs

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
1) Clean them, regardless of what condition you may think they're in
2) read sticky on "common problems with Raptor 660 explained" in the general 660 discussion section - pay attention to the section on reverse and parking brake rpm limiters.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Follow the previous advice, but I have got to wonder if its jetted right. Is there any kind of modifications done to airflow? exhaust? filter/airbox?
If it is stock...
Since you say the rev limiters are not the problem you are clearly lean on idle because it needs choke meaning the pilots are dirty or it is incorrectly jetted.

Meticuously clean EVERY passage/jet in the carbs. I would also bet it will be fine after doing so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok so i let the carb and all parts sit in the carb cleaner for almost two days and it cleaned it up real good, ran a wire through all the jets, blew all parts out with compressed air and hooked them up and now it idles and revs, but it stumbles around 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. i rode it around for a bit and it seemed to get better, i put some seafoam in the gas
and then i remembered i didnt oil the filter, cause its a k&n and i just cleaned it,
so i oiled it and it ran better, but theres still a stumble in acceleration
when i turned the mixture screws out on the bottom, i did it according to the book
which is 3 turns for one carb and 2 turns out for the other, i cant remember which now but i know it was correct when i did it,

any ideas what it could be now

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Okay, so cleaning again did improve things significanlty. You won't believe how often, here, people say they cleaned the carbs when, in reality, they weren't cleaned fully or properly... and the Raptor is very susceptible to this due to the dual carbs - all passages are half size!

Now we need to know what your mods are (exhaust and airbox), and what main jets, pilot jets, type of needles you are running.

Is your airbox open or closed (and if closed have you been doing your testing open)?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ok so i let the carb and all parts sit in the carb cleaner for almost two days and it cleaned it up real good, ran a wire through all the jets, blew all parts out with compressed air and hooked them up and now it idles and revs, but it stumbles around 1/2 or 3/4 throttle. i rode it around for a bit and it seemed to get better, i put some seafoam in the gas
and then i remembered i didnt oil the filter, cause its a k&n and i just cleaned it,
so i oiled it and it ran better, but theres still a stumble in acceleration
when i turned the mixture screws out on the bottom, i did it according to the book
which is 3 turns for one carb and 2 turns out for the other, i cant remember which now but i know it was correct when i did it,

any ideas what it could be now
Also, did you remove and clean the emulsion tubes.........

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pipes are stock, has k&n filter, no airbox mods
my testing was done with the lid on, everything hooked up
it seems to get better when its hot, i have an inline water temp guage and when it reads around 200 it seems to have more power
my pilots are stock 80 and 150
and my mains are stock too 140 and 145
the needles are set on the third place down with a plastic washer and then a small metal washer below it, the needles dont really have a sharp point to them, its not rounded at all it has a point just not like a pin needle

and yes i did clean the emulsion tubes

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You are describing the Pilot AIR jets (80, 150) - these are not wetted with fuel and almost never are an issue. The PILOT JETS are wetted, sitting in the float chamber and tend to get plugged up with varnish. The Pilot jets, stock, are 22.5

The Mains, stock, are 140 (left) and 145 (right).

THe left carb also has a 95 choke jet.

You need to remove and clean the pilot jets (the fuel wetted ones) and remove and clean the emulsion tubes (called 'needle jet' in manual).

Is your intake snorkel intact with no internal mods to the baffles?

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
any ideas anyone????
Yes - listen to what we are telling you!

yea i cleaned all i can (we are suggesting that this, perhaps, is not the case), i think im gonna buy a rebuild kit and see what that does
All using a rebuild kit will do is replace your wetted jets with new ones... if it now works, it means you didn't clean your old jets well enough.

If it doesn't work it means that you haven't cleaned the carb body's passages well enough, yet.

We can't tell you enough about how important a thorough hand cleaning (not soaking in carb cleaner for a day, week, month or year) truly is. A 'quick cleaning' just doesn't cut it on the Raptor.

BUT - so we're all on the same page and caught up with where, exactly, you are at - can you please re-state your current symptoms and what, if anything you have done to correct them - and the results, so far, of those actions?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Yes - listen to what we are telling you!

All using a rebuild kit will do is replace your wetted jets with new ones... if it now works, it means you didn't clean your old jets well enough.

If it doesn't work it means that you haven't cleaned the carb body's passages well enough, yet.

We can't tell you enough about how important a thorough hand cleaning (not soaking in carb cleaner for a day, week, month or year) truly is. A 'quick cleaning' just doesn't cut it on the Raptor.

BUT - so we're all on the same page and caught up with where, exactly, you are at - can you please re-state your current symptoms and what, if anything you have done to correct them - and the results, so far, of those actions?
+3....:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so the last cleaning i did i forgot to take off the air cut off diaphragm, which is what the manual calls it, and i did see some junk in there so i took it off and i have them soaking right now, and i took all the jets last time and cleaned them with a welder tip cleaner which is like a wire with abrasions on it, then i took compressed air to all jets and the carb body and blew everything clean, i swear ive never taken more time and more attention to this cleaning. and the sypmtoms of it last time was it would run and rev but it had hesitation around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, if you gave it full throttle it would sputter and then take off, when i would drive it, it was almost like it was a certain rpm again no major mods, just k&n air filter, no airbox or exhaust mods

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Let us know what, if any, issues are left when it's back together.

I'd suggest raising needles a notch to see if hesitation changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok so i got it back together, i thoroughly cleaned everything, and i added new piolots, new mains and new mixture screws, and it runs good now up until 1/2 throttle and above, it wants to bog down like it was doing before on lower rpm, so i raised the needle one notch like you suggested and it seemed to get a little bit better but still far from running perfect, still getting alot of backfiring and popping on acceleration

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
so - what are your mods and what jet sizes are you now running?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts