Raptor Forum banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Don't use synthetic oil for break-in. It's too slippery. Also, over here YamaLube has a bad reputation. We use RotellaT4 for break-in, and 2 oil changes after that. Then either continue with it or switch to RotellaT6, is a synthetic. I think it's made by Shell and may be what you're talking about, but whatever you use be sure it's "wet clutch" compatible, labeled as JASO as Morphrider says.

There is a sticky about float adjustment called "clear tube method". No need to remove carbs to check the float level.

Listen to Morph about batteries as I have no clue what's good or bad.

I purchased a 4L yamalube oil bottle, put half in for the breaking and now the first oil change i think ill have enough as i have 2.5 litres left in that same bottle. I will just use that.

I also checked the oil bleed hole at the top head and when it was started i unscrewed the bolt a little bit and oil poured out ! :) PERFECT it has oil where it needed to be.

I will adjust the floats then give the quad a proper break in and assemble all the lights, plastics back on.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,041 Posts
I purchased a 4L yamalube oil bottle, put half in for the breaking and now the first oil change i think ill have enough as i have 2.5 litres left in that same bottle. I will just use that.

I also checked the oil bleed hole at the top head and when it was started i unscrewed the bolt a little bit and oil poured out ! :) PERFECT it has oil where it needed to be.

I will adjust the floats then give the quad a proper break in and assemble all the lights, plastics back on.
It's best to ride it for break-in. Just revving it won't put a proper load on the rings. And, don't let it idle anymore then possible. Just start it, warm up for 30-60 seconds and ride. After 1/2 - 1 hour you can put a load on it, also known as "ride it like you stole it", lol.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #223 (Edited)
It's best to ride it for break-in. Just revving it won't put a proper load on the rings. And, don't let it idle anymore then possible. Just start it, warm up for 30-60 seconds and ride. After 1/2 - 1 hour you can put a load on it, also known as "ride it like you stole it", lol.
Hi, tore the carbs down, when i checked the float height it was around 9mm haha ! found the problem straight away.

Adjusted them to 13mm on both sides and then took out all the jets and properly cleaned them , assembled back together and then they was not leaking.

However when i took the bike out and started it up on idle, i could see oil seeping out the bottom, i checked and its this oil pipe thats leaking ? Where can i get a replacement of these? I also need a replacement fuel like that goes from the tank to the carbs? Any idea where to order?

Thnaks

·
11,041 Posts
Good job on the floats.

Is it the pipe that's leaking or the gasket? Is there a pipe on your old motor to use? Or does it need a gasket? You could make a new gasket. Or some gasket maker like non hardening Permatex. You could use silicone but not all are compatible with oil. Use any sealer sparingly so it doesn't plug part of the passage.

Your fuel hose may be generic hose, available at most auto or cycle shops. Take your old hose as a sample. Be sure it's rated for gas, not vacuum hose.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Good job on the floats.

Is it the pipe that's leaking or the gasket? Is there a pipe on your old motor to use? Or does it need a gasket? You could make a new gasket. Or some gasket maker like non hardening Permatex. You could use silicone but not all are compatible with oil. Use any sealer sparingly so it doesn't plug part of the passage.

Your fuel hose may be generic hose, available at most auto or cycle shops. Take your old hose as a sample. Be sure it's rated for gas, not vacuum hose.

The oils coming out of the pipe area not the gasket, theres not a old one on the other motor as this is off the old motor.

What shall i do?

·
11,041 Posts
The oils coming out of the pipe area not the gasket, theres not a old one on the other motor as this is off the old motor.

What shall i do?
Chances for you to find a replacement may not be good. Message the guy you bought the motor bottom from, tell him about the problems you had to repair, and see if he'll give you his pipe. You could also try ebay. Message anyone parting out a 660. Is it leaking where the flange is welded to the pipe or a split or hole? You maybe could have it brazed or welded.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Hi, tore the carbs down, when i checked the float height it was around 9mm haha ! found the problem straight away.

Adjusted them to 13mm on both sides and then took out all the jets and properly cleaned them , assembled back together and then they was not leaking.

However when i took the bike out and started it up on idle, i could see oil seeping out the bottom, i checked and its this oil pipe thats leaking ? Where can i get a replacement of these? I also need a replacement fuel like that goes from the tank to the carbs? Any idea where to order?

Thnaks
I think there is supposed to be an O-ring on that pipe under the plate. Id replace that or make sure there is even one on it before i get a new pipe. Unless you can plainly see a hole or crease in it...

And what DEZ said about the fuel line. Any auto store should have it, make sure its for fuel or the petrol will break it down

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
11,041 Posts
How many other people are still following this thread? Give a like on this post, #229. THANKS!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I just checked a parts fisch. Sure enough, there should be an O-ring in there. Heres a screenshot, #35.

·
11,041 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
It would be better to get a O ring.
okay i will check this soon.

I took the bike out today and it kepts cutts out when i was trying to ride it. I literally move a little bit and it cuts out.

I have to start it up on a jumper as the battery are so weak even after charging them.

·
11,041 Posts
It would be better to get a O ring.
okay i will check this soon.

I took the bike out today and it kepts cutts out when i was trying to ride it. I literally move a little bit and it cuts out.

Cutting out can be caused by a low battery not taking a charge. Also there are some forum stickies about reverse and maybe parking brake issues that may apply. Maybe 4stroker or QuadManiac can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Agree. Without a good battery you might be chasing a problem that doesnt exist. After that id bypass the reverse and parking brake rev limiters and see if that does the trick. When i got my 660, the reverse rev limiter was a problem in any gear. QUADMANIAC has an excellent write up on doing this. I believe its a forum sticky called "common 660 problems" Maybe if MORPHRIDER is watching, he might be nice enough to post a link to it. I would but i always screw it up! Lol

·
Super Moderator
8,007 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Ok thank you very much, have charged the battery and will add a new fuel line on friday and then fire it up. I think the temporary fuel line i put on is abit long and bends upwards then goes down into the carbs, could of been a issue?

i think the reverse limiter is done because the wires are all jut up and joint using connectors or something

and then i will fire it up

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
Ok thank you very much, have charged the battery and will add a new fuel line on friday and then fire it up. I think the temporary fuel line i put on is abit long and bends upwards then goes down into the carbs, could of been a issue?

i think the reverse limiter is done because the wires are all jut up and joint using connectors or something

and then i will fire it up

The new battery was a AGM battery, charged it fully and put it in the bike, installed new fuel line and changed oil. Oil was like brown slush, looked like mud had been blended in with the oil it was that dirrty.

Changed oil filter and put fresh premium unleaded fuel in.

Started up and rode good,

Need to fit indicators and horn now (

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi how you getting on with it? Looks like youve done loads of work on it with a few hurdles on the way. Hopefully it will be like a new bike soon.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Hi how you getting on with it? Looks like youve done loads of work on it with a few hurdles on the way. Hopefully it will be like a new bike soon.
Hi mate sorry just seen your message. I did pm you about a little problem with the solenoid fuse blowing...

Other than that i guess the bikes actually good now, have not really tested it more than gear two as we live in a quite residential area and people complain etc lol. Need to find somewhere to take it for a good run in, not many places near oxford.

I regret not painting the frame and replacing other parts whilst engine was out, A company wants £1700+ for Powder coating frame and replacing bushing and bearings.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts