Raptor Forum banner

241 - 245 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Result! Well done mate big confidence boost aint it when youve done it yourself.have you shopped around for powder coating? Seems pretty steep to me £1700

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Result! Well done mate big confidence boost aint it when youve done it yourself.have you shopped around for powder coating? Seems pretty steep to me £1700
Yeah it feels great, I have shopped around and £1500-£1700 is the prices, they say that everything comes apart etc.

If i was to do the frame painting etc myself, i wanted to know what are all these bushings, bearing etc that need to be replaced and would i need a press machine to do it or can it be done at home?

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are bushings in the A-arms, and bushings and needle bearings in the swingarm.
You will need a press, or threaded rod and big washers to properly do the swingarm.
No press needed for A-arms.
The steering stem bearing is the only thing needed to remove from the frame for powdercoating the frame.
The new bearing and steering nut are around $15.
You may need an impact wrench for removing the steering nut.
It doesn't get alot of torque going back either, I think it's around 30' lbs, but definately check, that needs to be right.
In the frame where the new bearing goes needs to be masked off for powder coating too. That surface needs to be bare metal, or else the new bearing will not fit.
Same for inside A-arms and swingarm if you those.
If they've never been done, it's worth doing, just based on age at this point, let alone how much use.
And, if you've never pressed or drawn in a roller bearing, take your time, and be careful, they are very easy to ruin.

·
Registered
628 Posts
You can also do a great paint job on that steel frame with rattle cans.
Just scotchbrite scuff and alcohol clean it.
Primer it.
Let it dry as recomended, and apply a 2nd coat.
Let dry for a day or 2, give it another 2 coats.
Give it a few days before you handle it, give the paint time to cure.
If you paint it in layers with good dry times, it will be more prone to dent than chip.
I am no painter, just someone who has rattle canned alot of bicycle, dirtbike, and 4wheeler bare frames, and with really good results.
Powder coat is much better, but spray paint is a fraction of the cost.
Last frame I did was a 660.
2 cans of primer, and 3 cans of metallic gray, under $40.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
You can also do a great paint job on that steel frame with rattle cans.
Just scotchbrite scuff and alcohol clean it.
Primer it.
Let it dry as recomended, and apply a 2nd coat.
Let dry for a day or 2, give it another 2 coats.
Give it a few days before you handle it, give the paint time to cure.
If you paint it in layers with good dry times, it will be more prone to dent than chip.
I am no painter, just someone who has rattle canned alot of bicycle, dirtbike, and 4wheeler bare frames, and with really good results.
Powder coat is much better, but spray paint is a fraction of the cost.
Last frame I did was a 660.
2 cans of primer, and 3 cans of metallic gray, under $40.

Thank you for the detailed response about the bushings and frame paint.

I think that i will leave it to a garage to do all that work as i dont have a press etc or any experience with bearings.

241 - 245 of 245 Posts