Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 245 Posts

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
Must be great out there all the places you can go quadding unlike here in England.

Yamahaspecial where are you at? If your local to me i dont mind popping over to help ya out.
Haha, I knew what you meant. I was just messing with you.

If you guys could get together that would be great. It's hard to type complete teardown instructions. That's why the manual is so important.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, im from Oxford, UK myself. Are you a quad bike mechanic by any chance?
Hi mate thats a shame im in Nottingham ive rebuilt loads of 660's and wouldn't of minded having a look for ya but unfortunately your not just down the road. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ah thats a shame, I am going to take a look to see whats wrong with it soon, never have time. I got the manual now as well so can follow that.

I want to rebuild my quad but i cant even get it started lol - wanted to give it a good overhaul, clean every bit and refresh it up.

Also, if you can give me any tips on how to diagnose the problem etc that would be good?

·
11,054 Posts
First you need to find out what's wrong. Start by checking timing marks, follow your manual. Take the valve cover and head off.

Second determine what parts need replaced. Normal top end rebuild includes timing chain, gaskets, bore the cylinder and new piston. You would take the cylinder to a machinist who would bore it and determine the size for the piston. This is in your manual.

Check the head, in the manual.

You should read the rebuild procedure in the manual a few times to familiarize yourself with how it's done. It may sound hard but only takes basic mechanical skills and the manual.
The above is what you need to diagnose the problem;

Line up the timing mark on the crank and TDC.

Remove the timing adjuster bolt and check the timing chain adjuster for length.

Remove the valve cover and check timing marks on the cam.

Remove the head and look for damage.

And so on.... Follow your manual for disassembly. If you have trouble, let us know. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of it, it might be best to sell it as is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The above is what you need to diagnose the problem;

Line up the timing mark on the crank and TDC.

Remove the timing adjuster bolt and check the timing chain adjuster for length.

Remove the valve cover and check timing marks on the cam.

Remove the head and look for damage.

And so on.... Follow your manual for disassembly. If you have trouble, let us know. If you don't feel comfortable doing any of it, it might be best to sell it as is.

Ok thank you very much Dezerado, I will do all of this tongiht after work for sure then i can see what the actual problem is ! ill let you know how it goes

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So i took off the valve cover, aligned the I mark with the groove on the thread and the valves looked fine.

Went to take off cylinder head, 3 of the bolts have been stripped by previous mechanic, took two off but the third just wont come out because i cant hammer in the allen key, so just left it and will just not do anymore work on it anymore.

Dont have the time to do anything else with this quad bike or the correct workshop to carry out the repair , so im going to sell it . Let me know if anyone is interested.

Please private message me if your interested. I am based in the south of England, (Oxford)

It is a special edition 660 2005, with a 06 plate.

thanks

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Lots of ways to get that out. Try hammering a star bit into that wore out hex hole. No go? They sell a tool for removing rounded off nuts, hammer it on and as you turn it left, the teeth inside cut into the bolt head and it breaks loose. Still no? CAREFULLY weld a nut to the top and just use that. Stripped thread holes? Heli-coils work great...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lots of ways to get that out. Try hammering a star bit into that wore out hex hole. No go? They sell a tool for removing rounded off nuts, hammer it on and as you turn it left, the teeth inside cut into the bolt head and it breaks loose. Still no? CAREFULLY weld a nut to the top and just use that. Stripped thread holes? Heli-coils work great...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I hammered the star key into two of them, this one is situated just below the frame at a awkward angle. Its the bold in front of the spark plug. I cant get any hammer or anything in the gap to hammer something into the bolt.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi mate thats a shame im in Nottingham ive rebuilt loads of 660's and wouldn't of minded having a look for ya but unfortunately your not just down the road. Hope you get it sorted.
Hi mate, do you do rebuilds for customers at a cost etc? or would you come down and do the rebuild here if i of course pay you to carry out the work. Or i can come down for the day early morning or something and then we can both carry out the rebuild? Or would it take longer than 1 day?

There are literally no garages nearby Oxford that will even touch a quad bike, contacted several places to get the engine rebuilt and they all say no etc.

Your my best bet atm otherwise ill just sell it how it is due to no time to get it fixed my self.

Thanks

·
11,054 Posts
Hi mate, do you do rebuilds for customers at a cost etc? or would you come down and do the rebuild here if i of course pay you to carry out the work. Or i can come down for the day early morning or something and then we can both carry out the rebuild? Or would it take longer than 1 day?

There are literally no garages nearby Oxford that will even touch a quad bike, contacted several places to get the engine rebuilt and they all say no etc.

Your my best bet atm otherwise ill just sell it how it is due to no time to get it fixed my self.

Thanks
It would be so much better if you could do the repairs. As 4stroker said, get a tool with spiral teeth that would bite into the stripped part and remove the bolt. The tool is about 17-19mm long and fits in a socket or wrench. Getting the head off is the hardest part. Once it's off it gets easier. Be sure to remove the cam chain tension bolt before removing the head.
Don't despair, we're here to help. If you try to sell you'll most likely loose money.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It would be so much better if you could do the repairs. As 4stroker said, get a tool with spiral teeth that would bite into the stripped part and remove the bolt. The tool is about 17-19mm long and fits in a socket or wrench. Getting the head off is the hardest part. Once it's off it gets easier. Be sure to remove the cam chain tension bolt before removing the head.
Don't despair, we're here to help. If you try to sell you'll most likely loose money.

Okay ill try and get it off since the bikes all opened up

First time coming across these forums and the help from you and others is unbelievable and i appreciate it all !

Thank you very much ! Ill keep you all updated

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi mate just seen your post im not a full time mechanic unfortunately ive just stripped and rebuilt quite a few of these i would gladly help out if i was closer but with work commitments its hard. Just try and stay persistent with it as its already striped down.thers is always a way round things. And like deparado says a broken down quad aint worth owt so dont sell it. If you have any pics of the damage we can always try to advise you if it helps.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Hi, So today i have been defeated by one single bolt. that same bolt as not come out !

I have tried everything

- hammering star key
- using flat screw driver hammering in
- cutting with saw on top to make flat screw driver way to unscrew
- chizel from the side to try make it loose
- ordered special bolt extractors from amazon for same day delivery, they dont work at all.
- cant get a socket to fit over the bolt as the cylinder head is in the way.

I have tried everything, this bolt has been fighting with me for 3 DAYS! !!! THIS BOLTS stopped be from doing anything else or carrying out further tests.

Im afraid if i try anything else the cylinder head will crack which will cost me too much to replace.

Now, can someone please tell me how to get this off safely as i have literally accepted the defeat from this bolt. PLease it would be so much help so i can try tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,017 Posts
Tried putting any heat to it?

·
11,054 Posts
Did you try the multi spiral type ez-out and lots of heat from a propane torch or heat gun. Do you have a welder? As said before, weld a nut on top. Or, can you get a drill bit in there. Use a bit slightly bigger the bolt, then drill the head off. Slide the head off then remove the bolt with vice grips.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi, So today i have been defeated by one single bolt. that same bolt as not come out !

I have tried everything

- hammering star key

- ordered special bolt extractors from amazon for same day delivery, they dont work at all.

I have tried everything, this bolt has been fighting with me for 3 DAYS! !!! THIS BOLTS stopped be from doing anything else or carrying out further tests.

Im afraid if i try anything else the cylinder head will crack which will cost me too much to replace.

Now, can someone please tell me how to get this off safely as i have literally accepted the defeat from this bolt. PLease it would be so much help so i can try tomorrow.
Soaked up with PB Blaster,apply Heat and shock the bolt a few times with a hammer and a solid steel rod and then make that cut a bit deeper but not to wide so the bolt wont brake.... That's how I've taken them out!!!!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts

I have tried everything

- hammering star key

But soaked up with PB Blaster a night before you are going to work on it!!!! So the Blaster can penetrate,that bolt has to have Loctite I bet

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts

I have tried everything

- hammering star key

Now if you was me i would drill it,get your easyout on it and apply some serious heat as that will expand the aluminium around the bolt and hopefully will make it a little looser,and try shocking the bolt with a length of steel and hammer,your nearly there mate.its always the last bolt that gives you a hard time.

21 - 40 of 245 Posts