Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
New Here
So my raptor 660 has been sittng for a year. I went to get it ready for the summer. It was working perfect before it sat. I cleaned the gas tank, cleaned the air filter, charged the battery, changed the oil, took apart the carb needles, springs, jetts, pilots, and choke and cleaned it Like I do every year. I changed the spark plug right before the last ride. However now it will not start. The starter makes the normal crank sound but wont start. When I spray crab fluid or pour gas in the engine it cranks over when I press the start button. but when I put the crabs back on, nothing? just the starter making the normal noise. Its like the carb isnt shooting the gas in. The carb is definitly getting gas, because I have to drain the float bowls, I have takin the carb apart 8 times now, its just not pushing it in to the engine? When looking in to the carbs and pressing the throttle should gas be shooting out? Because it is not. Please help help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
No gas shoots out - the Rappy has no accelerator pump.

Did you clean the pilot jets well enough to see light coming through their tiny center passage? When this plugs, it usually requires a fine strand of wire (copper stolen from a speaker wire, for example) along with lots of spray carb cleaner (and then blow out with air) until you can see that light again. With dirty pilot jets it will never start.

Spray starting fluid into the carb's throats and if the engine will sputter and try to start then the carbs are not clean enough or fuel isn't reaching them at all (check fuel line and tank). If it doesn't sputter and try with starting fluid, then check for spark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I can see light through the pilots and the gas is getting to the carbs just nothing getting to the engine. But when i put gas or spray starting fluid into the engine and press the start button, it turns on for a few seconds so that tells me the there is spark. But if I take off the card and press the throttle no gas comes out whatsoever but there is gas in the float bowls.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
You have proven that the problem is carb related - they have fuel in the bowls, but engine is not firing up and running, yet it does with starting fluid...

TIme to revisit the carbs and find out what is wrong - still dirty somewhere (they usually are), or a jet or two in the wrong place, leaky carb/manifold boots, etc.

It's there somewhere - good luck finding it.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Where are your air/fuel screws set? Maybe if they were all the way screwed in it wouldnt wanna start or idle. Just a thought. Good luck. =)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a question what jets or what screw do you have to count the # of times you turn it. I know its one of them like the pilot jets or the main jet. New to it and wanted to know before I take them out to clean

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
The jets are all tightened into place (tight, but not CRANKED!). The fuel screws (bottom front of carbs) are typically seated (gently) and then turned out somewhere around 2 turns each, depending on the mods to your engine.. stock was around 2 1/4 turns.

If your bike was running good, then turn the screws in while counting turns until they gently bottom out. Then return them to the same number of turns out after you've dismantled and cleaned everything.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I say the same thing, clean the carbs, and passages, remove the fuel screws and clean those passages as well............

·
Registered
73 Posts
What about when you remove the floats. Do you have to measure were it is before you take them out. And if the carbs are leaking gas does that have something to do with the floats?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys for the help. Going to get back into the carbs and do what you suggested I will let you know how it goes. As for the carbs leaking gas most likely the floats are stuck in or not allowing the gas to shut off so you need to clean the floats out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
R these floats good or the seats good? The 1 on the right just hits the bottom and the 1 on the left like bounces and recoils and it kind of makes a bounding sound. The right float doesn't bounce like the 1 on the left I don't know if you can see that it in the video.

Also when the pecock or fuel on off reserve valve is in the off postion its not suppost to leak fuel right? And I want to rejet cuz I dont think its the right set up for a t-4 pro circuit exhaust with the header and a k&n air filter and k&n powerlid as the cover for the air fliter. The set up now is left carb main jet 140 and right carb main jet is 96 and both piolt jets are 22.5

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Uh your right carb should be like 145 main jet. =) i think i would go with 145/150 main jets and maybe 25 pilots. The larger jet goes in the right carb. =)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I just bought a vitos jet kit but you might just wanna start a new thread and see what you come up with. Im kinda interested to see witch one is best to. =)

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Quadman- You should be running 160L/165R Mikuni mains, aftermarket needles at middle or so, 25 pilots and screws around 2 turns out, with those mods. Vitos kit has all you need.

Read about 'clear tube method' to see if your float level is set correctly.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Yes thats it. =)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts