Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a long post to fully explain. I've have a raptor660 with a 673 big bore kit. 11:1 wiseco piston and machined oem jug. Everything is brand new oem or performance name brand parts no cheap China junk. Except the harness was purchased used. When I crank the bike it doesn't start or even try but sometimes backfires through carb. I just put a brand new set of valves and springs in again and lapped them in and same thing.
I've checked spark and I have it. I've checked timing so many times I don't care to think about it I've even compared my timing to photos and videos and it's dead nuts on. I've cleaned my brand new mikuni carbs 3 times with a thin wire and carb cleaner and even put a jet kit in and same no start no matter what. I've unhooked and even got a second rectifier to try and same no start. Pulled the head and piston still looks new (as it should) I've also checked if the woodruff key was broke and it's not.
I tryed a different oem cdi (used but known to be good) and had to jump the solenoid to get it to crank and that's weird because my new cdi it cranks so I swapped back to my cdi still no start
I have brand new fuel in the tank the carbs are definitely getting fuel. Also tryed starting fluid with no luck as well. I've bypassed and grounded the pain in the ass sensors that are known to fail or cause problems and even added an extra ground wire. I've also tryed using a jump pack on battery while trying to start thinking the engine wasn't turning fast enough. I have litterly no idea why this bike will not run and no idea why it's acting like the timing is off. Compression test shows over 114lbs of compression and doesn't leak off so what am I missing here any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have
Air
Fuel
Spark
Piston was a TDC and cam set perfectly

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same exact situation! Once I figure it out I'll let you know (I'm on a mission) I'm leaning on pickup coil sending the spark at the wrong time on mine... if you find out what it is let me know. Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
16,110 Posts
This is going to be a long post to fully explain. I've have a raptor660 with a 673 big bore kit. 11:1 wiseco piston and machined oem jug. Everything is brand new oem or performance name brand parts no cheap China junk. Except the harness was purchased used. When I crank the bike it doesn't start or even try but sometimes backfires through carb. I just put a brand new set of valves and springs in again and lapped them in and same thing.
I've checked spark and I have it. I've checked timing so many times I don't care to think about it I've even compared my timing to photos and videos and it's dead nuts on. I've cleaned my brand new mikuni carbs 3 times with a thin wire and carb cleaner and even put a jet kit in and same no start no matter what. I've unhooked and even got a second rectifier to try and same no start. Pulled the head and piston still looks new (as it should) I've also checked if the woodruff key was broke and it's not.
I tryed a different oem cdi (used but known to be good) and had to jump the solenoid to get it to crank and that's weird because my new cdi it cranks so I swapped back to my cdi still no start
I have brand new fuel in the tank the carbs are definitely getting fuel. Also tryed starting fluid with no luck as well. I've bypassed and grounded the pain in the ass sensors that are known to fail or cause problems and even added an extra ground wire. I've also tryed using a jump pack on battery while trying to start thinking the engine wasn't turning fast enough. I have litterly no idea why this bike will not run and no idea why it's acting like the timing is off. Compression test shows over 114lbs of compression and doesn't leak off so what am I missing here any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have
Air
Fuel
Spark
Piston was a TDC and cam set perfectly
Did this EVER run? Some history always helps!

1) you failed to mention year. CDI / harness need to match each other: 01 to 01, any 02-05 to any 02-05. Engine/quad year doesn't matter, just the CDI and harness. Was the 'different OEM CDI' matching in this way? Was it a borrowed used unit? The push button start issue may or may not be a can of worms unless you know for sure that the original quad hasn't been re-wired slightly due to a common CDI problem.
2) as long as you have CONTINUOUS spark, 90% of what you describe is unnecessary - CDI, stator, rectifier, coil, harness, etc. are fine!
3) There are only a few things that can be at issue - cam timing (you claim perfect), SPARK timing (claim of proper woodruff key installlation says no) BUT what about fuel delivery? I don't see any results of tests here - use starting fluid - what happens?

You have been so complete in your descriptions of the rest, Imy first guess is fuel delivery...

·
Master of the Electron
16,110 Posts
I'm in the same exact situation! Once I figure it out I'll let you know (I'm on a mission) I'm leaning on pickup coil sending the spark at the wrong time on mine... if you find out what it is let me know. Thanks
The only way this can happen is if the Woodruff key between the crank and flywheel is sheared or missing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts