Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm very new to the raptor scene and have an 01 raptor 660R. I wanted to get some opinions on exhaust. I know a full system seems to be the consensus on the way to go around here, but what brand, model, etc? You can see the mods I plan on doing in my signature if that helps guide your opinion and I do almost all of my riding exclusively in the dunes. If its not in the dunes than its on the streets around my house. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
i have a CT racing exhaust system and am very satisfied with it. huge improvement over stock,sounds great and fit really well. everyone is going to tell you to get duals or a sparks x6 system. if i were you i would do my own research and make my own decision. and also if you dont mind buying used stuff theres some good deals in the for sale section

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a CT racing exhaust system and am very satisfied with it. huge improvement over stock,sounds great and fit really well. everyone is going to tell you to get duals or a sparks x6 system. if i were you i would do my own research and make my own decision. and also if you dont mind buying used stuff theres some good deals in the for sale section
I really don't need duals, at least not yet. I only have any sort of experience with the Yoshi RS3. I rode a raptor 660 with a RS3 slip on and it sounded really good. My bike actually feels just as fast, but its because mine is freshly rebuilt with only about 2 hours on it. I am wanting to spend around 300 tops for a full system so used is probably going to be my only option, but if there in good shape I don't mind. I am only planning on doing the intake and exhaust for now though. I wanted to do a CDI but most of the responses I have gotten on here have been that they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Yosh isn't a bad pipe. Talking new prices, one of the better bangs for your buck.

Yeah, put that CDI money toward the pipe. Only serious drag 660's will really benifit much from the CDI.

LIVE on e-bay and the forums as much as you can. A good used single generally goes for $250-350 depending on condition. That Sparks I had I got for less on E-bay...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yosh isn't a bad pipe. Talking new prices, one of the better bangs for your buck.

Yeah, put that CDI money toward the pipe. Only serious drag 660's will really benifit much from the CDI.

LIVE on e-bay and the forums as much as you can. A good used single generally goes for $250-350 depending on condition. That Sparks I had I got for less on E-bay...
I have been checking like crazy on ebay, craigslist, on the forum here in the classifieds. Hopefully I'll find something. Would you say the sparks is better than the yoshi as far as performance? I am really just after the absolute best performing pipe that I can get for the best deal possible. So, what do you think is "The Best" single full system? If I know that then I can skower the earth on a good deal for that particular system.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
That's what I meant- LIVE on the forums/e-bay :lol: You gotta be quick and have your money ready, because there's about 60 other guys on this forum doing the same thing at any given time, and countless others as well. Be patient, and don't settle. :beer: I've waited MONTHS for a good deal to come around before...

Sparks is the best straight performer to my knowledge.

CT is GREAT as well and offers some tunability with the disc-style ends. This makes them the best in some people's eyes.

Yosh is a great pipe for the buck and a good performer no doubt.

Sparks and CT are LOUD though, FYI

The CT (to me) seemed like the best built and most durable of the pipes I've seen in person. Also, I believe the newer CT's (at least for the 700, not sure on 660?) Have gotten a larger core recently. CT will replace your old core with a new one and repack it all for about $75 i believe as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I meant- LIVE on the forums/e-bay :lol: You gotta be quick and have your money ready, because there's about 60 other guys on this forum doing the same thing at any given time, and countless others as well. Be patient, and don't settle. :beer: I've waited MONTHS for a good deal to come around before...

Sparks is the best straight performer to my knowledge.

CT is GREAT as well and offers some tunability with the disc-style ends. This makes them the best in some people's eyes.

Yosh is a great pipe for the buck and a good performer no doubt.

Sparks and CT are LOUD though, FYI

The CT (to me) seemed like the best built and most durable of the pipes I've seen in person. Also, I believe the newer CT's (at least for the 700, not sure on 660?) Have gotten a larger core recently. CT will replace your old core with a new one and repack it all for about $75 i believe as well.

Which model in particular of the CT and Sparks are you referring to? I don't mind the noise. I like it. haha. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
CT only has 1 model, sparks has 2 but the only difference between them is the core size.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
You might like the noise, but your neighbors might not. Keep local laws in mind...

In general, they don't have 382 different styles like the Yosh :lol:

Think CT only offers one style, though they may have options now with the bigger core. They used to use a turndown style endcap, but use the 'supertrapp' disc style for tuning and as a spark arrestor now.

Sparks has used a couple different style ends as well, including a quiet tip. The X-6 is their standard pipe, the big core simply has a larger core in the muffler and I don't think you can use the quiet tip on it ? I could be wrong there though. The Big core is more for built engines, and is pretty damn loud.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You might like the noise, but your neighbors might not. Keep local laws in mind...

In general, they don't have 382 different styles like the Yosh :lol:

Think CT only offers one style, though they may have options now with the bigger core. They used to use a turndown style endcap, but use the 'supertrapp' disc style for tuning and as a spark arrestor now.

Sparks has used a couple different style ends as well, including a quiet tip. The X-6 is their standard pipe, the big core simply has a larger core in the muffler and I don't think you can use the quiet tip on it ? I could be wrong there though. The Big core is more for built engines, and is pretty damn loud.
Cool. All really good info guys. I appreciate it. I will keep an eye out for either of these 2 if you say they will perform better than the yoshi. Oh and my neighbors don't mind. I hardly ever ride at home anyways. In kermit there are no noise rules. I've seen a blown ls1 sandrail running open headers out there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just put a Yoshi Full RS3 on my 660R and it sounds great with the Stage 1 Cam. The pipes are larger than stock and all the bends are smooth... No 90 degree corners like the stock pipes or even like my friends Trinity Pipes. I haven't done much riding since it's 30 degrees outside but I'm expecting a big improvement over last years stock setup.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just scored a full yoshi set up off ebay for $187.50 plus like $22 shipping off ebay last week. Keep checking you will find a deal sooner that later:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just scored a full yoshi set up off ebay for $187.50 plus like $22 shipping off ebay last week. Keep checking you will find a deal sooner that later:)
was that a no reserve auction?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
But in hindsight I wish I would have focused on the suspension before I bought exhaust and all that. I see you have that stuff on your list to do. If I were you I'd begin with a arms, an axle and shocks then move onto engin mods. Probably just me though...

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
90% of your power gain is going from stock to aftermarket. The other 10% is slight varances from pipe to pipe. It won't be earth shattering difference between aftermarket pipes. You might notice a little more difference going from a fmf or dg system to a sparks or ct pipe.

The top 3 singles are sparks, ct, and yoshi. Sparks and ct have a little edge over the yoshi in performance. But the yoshi has a way better edge on the other two in the price department.

Sparks and ct are the top preforming singles. I have a 6x big core that has been jet hot extreme sterling coated. I am sure the ct pipe is just as good. I haven't ever had or rode one, but it is fun teasing guys about buying one due to it "winning" cough, cough, cheating, cough, cough, the dirtwheels pipe shoot out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes it was a no reserve auction, it was on the last page of exhaust systems and it ended at like 12:30 at night and it only had a couple bids on it. Nice system easy to mount and sounds great:)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it was a no reserve auction, it was on the last page of exhaust systems and it ended at like 12:30 at night and it only had a couple bids on it. Nice system easy to mount and sounds great:)
WOW! That is a great deal. I have a question for you or anyone else who can answer it. I have been looking at a pro-tec mach 1 header that a guy is selling for 100 bucks. Would it be a good or bad idea to buy that and then buy a slip on like a yoshi and mate the two together? Or would it be better to buy the yoshi complete system? I just didn't know if the mach 1 header would be any better than the yoshi header the system comes with and if it would be any cheaper for me to piece it together like that. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts