Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just joined the raptor club! Woohoo. Ive read on this forum that the raptor was first introduced in 2001. Reading the VIN number on my frame the last four numbers are 2000. Does this indicate my raptor is a 2000 model? Also the model number sticker is missing from under the seat, is there any other way of finding out what exact model raptor i have. Any help would be great. Thanks all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what i thought. So there seems to be no truth behind the fact that there ment to start from 2001.
However when looking for parts etc and you choose year it always says 2001-2004 never any mention on 2000!!!

·
Master of the Electron
14,493 Posts
Are you saying that your 10th digit (from the left) is a zero?

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
First model year of the raptor is 2001, they were introduced in 2000 as a 2001 model, I had the first in the area, I received it in late August of 2000
You are missing the first three digits of the serial number which would make the 10th digit a 0, so something is amiss, my serial # is 17 numbers long so I am not sure what is up with yours

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does your vin number indicate that it is a 2001 model then. Im prob just being a biff and not reading the vin properly on mine

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
you have to start with the very fist thing stamped into the frame( normally a letter ) look at yours again and post it.. it should start with a jy4AM0 ( i beleive ) just relook at it, because there is no 2000.. im sure its just a reading or typing error... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope just checked it again and it reads AMO1W0013382000. The frame is quite badly scratched in that area so the three (JY4) numbers you were talking about that should be infront might be missing and worn off !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
17-digit serial numbers were assigned to almost all vehicles, motorcycles manufactured after 1981.

The first digit "J" indicates the quad was manufactured in Japan.

10th Character - Year of Manufacture

1981=B
1982=C
1983=D and so on to the letter "Y" which would indicate 2000

The vin's then changed the 10th Character to numbers (in 2001) 1=2001, 2=2002,3=2003, and so on.

The 11th digit indicates the final assembley plant.

the 12th through the 17th digit indicates actual serial number of that particular quad, which makes that quad unique. This number represents the actual sequence of production. For example- Lets say the last six digits on your quad were.....000001. This would indicate the FIRST quad produced in that year, make and model.

Just for the record Character's 2 through 9 are make, model, specific. Most Yamaha Raptor 660's will have almost exact VIN's for the first 9 characters.

This would also apply to 700 models and their first 9 characters, and other models of quads as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea but that makes the VIN only 15 digits long!
I found a good website for cecking VIN numbers, If i was to use this number in the checker it says its built in africa! not likely!
i tried puting a JY infront of the AMO1W-0013382000 and looks more promising but says the check number is invalid. Tried some other
VIN numbers of other raptors in there and a few of them came up with incorrect check number also.
heres the link have a try urself and see what u think?
http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/vinview.htm

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
Your vin should start with JY4 then AMO then a #, then a letter, then 2 more #s, then a letter, then 7 more #s. If that is not the case then something is weird, there should be a decal on the front upright frame member, under the rad roughly and it should be stamped in the lower frame rail under the engine on the left side I believe. This is the one the cops want to see should they happen to check on the bike

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rebel said:
17-digit serial numbers were assigned to almost all vehicles, motorcycles manufactured after 1981.

The first digit "J" indicates the quad was manufactured in Japan.

10th Character - Year of Manufacture

1981=B
1982=C
1983=D and so on to the letter "Y" which would indicate 2000

The vin's then changed the 10th Character to numbers (in 2001) 1=2001, 2=2002,3=2003, and so on.

The 11th digit indicates the final assembley plant.

the 12th through the 17th digit indicates actual serial number of that particular quad, which makes that quad unique. This number represents the actual sequence of production. For example- Lets say the last six digits on your quad were.....000001. This would indicate the FIRST quad produced in that year, make and model.

Just for the record Character's 2 through 9 are make, model, specific. Most Yamaha Raptor 660's will have almost exact VIN's for the first 9 characters.

This would also apply to 700 models and their first 9 characters, and other models of quads as well.

Hope this helps.
what he said, had to go through a lot of b.s. with the vin# on a chinese wheeler i bought that did not have a title, after three time to the dmv and two trips to the police to get the vin checked i finly go a title,,, 17 digits, tenth being the year :thumbsup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
had me courious?? so i went out side to look at my vin #'s. this is what i found
2005 raptor 660
jy4am01y15-------, start with jy4, 10th digit 5(2005) 17 digits long

2008 raptor 700
jy4am14y48-------start with jy4, 10th digit 8(2008) 17 digits long

i would say check the title and see what it says
if theres no jy4 at the start then you have a problem, good luck ever selling it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
even if his does have a JY4 in front.. something else is wrong because it would make his 10th digit a 0 and there is none like that... so i think something is up with that bike, or some of the numbers have worn or something...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts