Raptor Forum banner

Raptor 700, 5 gallon desert tank update

11K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  trentk 
#1 ·
Some people have already seen the custom aluminum fuel cell we have been running at last few the Best in the Desert races. The tank holds 5.25 gallons of fuel and utilizes the stock in tank pump and wiring with a custom pickup and filter inside the tank.

This extended our range to about 90 miles but the first version of the in tank filter got clogged with contaminants during the Silver State 300 which caused the engine not to run as strong. For Vegas to Reno Kelly at KMS put in a much larger in tank filter and during testing it worked great but after 200 miles of racing the engine was running weird again and eventually it stopped running. We were leading our class by 15 minutes and we were the 2nd or 3rd quad overall on the course.

It turns out the filter was clogged again with junk. Most people hide their failures but I like sharing everything we learn in hopes of helping others. I believe this tank can work if we can get it properly cleaned out but we can't afford another DNF so we are going to try the pre EFI 5 gallon IMS tank with a custom inline fuel filter and pump setup. I will keep everyone posted and if we have success with it I am sure Kelly at KMS would make a package deal that you can purchase through him. Look for another update by me after the Parker 250 in January.

If you want one of these aluminum tanks the guy who made ours will make one for anybody and it includes the custom pickup and filter and your stock pump and electronics bolt right onto it. There is more info and pics here:

http://kendallrace.com/tech/raptor gastank.php

We are stepping up to the BITD pro class in 2012 and running one of KMS's ridiculous 108mm super engines. If it can survive our abuse it will survive anything and it should be the highest horsepower quad being raced in BITD or SCORE.

Thanks,
Trent

See less See more
#2 ·
any idea on the price?

#3 ·
I have that info listed on my site linked above. I don't want to post prices and stuff like that on here, I run a large forum and we frown on non sponsors hocking products and I want to respect the owners of this site. I don't get a dime from these things, I am just passing the word on to other Raptor owners.

#4 · (Edited)
New fuel system is going in today. The new chrome moly center section of the frame was finished yesterday. henderson 250 starts at 6am saturday. I will let you guys know how the new fuel system and 5 gallon IMS tank works.

The new KMS 770 ? bada$$ engine goes in today. This race has a long paved straightaway, we will see how fast it goes on the GPS. :)

#5 ·
Hey Trent, Thanks for the update!

If you have any issues, I don't mind bringing my Raptor down to help you out. It's set-up for Desert and ready-to-run if I get new ball joints from LSR (or just switch your arms). The motor is Kenz, custom built and assembled by Ken himself for running Desert and puts 78 on Kenz dyno.

Good luck out there, hopefully I can catch up to you this weekend to talk.

#6 ·
My team mate joe is camping in the pit area, he will be there friday with the quad. I won't be there til race time sat morning. it is going to be cold!

I will be at tech/reg at around 5pm tomorrow. i will be in an orange kendall racing shirt/hat.

#7 ·
Wish I could meet you guys at the race but I gotta work. Good luck.

#11 ·
couldn't get the IMS 660 tank to fit so we ran the stock tank. The new engine makes more horsepower and sucks way more gas. ran out of gas at mile 44 out of 45 on lap 1. cost us a lot of time, think we got 4th, so we ended up 3rd for the season.

Hit a top speed of 101 on the GPS though, that is 13 mph faster than i've ever been on a quad. thanks to KMS for the badass engine!

I am running pro for 2012 on this raptor. need to get the fuel tank and suspension dialed.

#13 ·
The only race in AZ we will be doing on the Raptor is coming up in a few weeks. The parker 250 on Jan 7th. It will be our first race in the pro class on this machine. Come on out if you want, it is also one of the few desert races with an infield section that is spectator friendly.

#14 ·
Sucks to hear about the first lap, I get about the same fuel mileage on mine out where you were running. I know for a fact I can't hit 100, the current set-up I have won't rev-out in 5th. What gearing are you running? I run 15/37, 22x11-9.

#16 ·
Oh okay, that's making sense for me now. I was running 5th on the asphalt in Jean, NV after I got the motor built and let off the gas after a few seconds.. scary fast. I didn't have all my armor on.

I think with the big KMS motor you'll probably be able to run a little taller on the gearing also and still accelerate out of the corners hard.

#17 ·
Update, Tyler at Metal Tech has been building these tanks for a while now based on the design he did for us. He makes about 1 per month mostly for guys in South America and Europe. They go for $850 without a dry break.

I'm parting out my raptor to pay for baby stuff and I will sell my oversize tank (approx 5.2 gallons) with the IMS dry break, with fuel lines, fuel*pump, fuel regulator and the 2 fuel filters.*I also have a spare fuel pump and filter for it.*The price is $1200 USD plus shipping.*This fuel system has about 40 hours on it and works like a champ.*Subtract $200 if you do not want the dry break.*Please email me if interested.*trelken@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.