Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need a special hone to hone the cylinder on a 700?

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
If it needs to be honed more than likely it needs to be replated. You can hone them with a diamond hone but the factory Yamaha coating is only like .004" thick.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it needs to be honed more than likely it needs to be replated. You can hone them with a diamond hone but the factory Yamaha coating is only like .004" thick.
Im replacing the piston and didn't like the idea of not giving it a light hone before doing that. Its not scratche or scared in any way that I can see

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Some like to hit it with a scotchbrite pad, others will tell you not to touch it. Either way, steer clear of the traditional ball and bar hones, they'll remove way too much.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Yep, just use some brakeclean and a Scotchbrite pad and clean it good. Dont go up and down the bore, go around the bore in that motion.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well since you guys are raptor guys ill probably do that. though, i just got off the phone with alba (was ordering other parts) and they told me to make 4 passes with a ball hone. considering the scotch brite meathod isnt going to cost me 70 bucks ill probably go that route lol.

·
Registered
555 Posts
well since you guys are raptor guys ill probably do that. though, i just got off the phone with alba (was ordering other parts) and they told me to make 4 passes with a ball hone. considering the scotch brite meathod isnt going to cost me 70 bucks ill probably go that route lol.
OUCH. If they're telling you to use a ball hone I would seriously question their knowledge about this and steer away. You definately don't want to use a ball hone as that will only follow and exasperate any iregularities in the bore squareness and taper.
As a shadetree mechanic tactic when you can't get it done properly with a diamond hone you can deglaze the cylinder using some scotchbrite. Try and follow a crosshatch 30* X 60* pattern and wash the cylinder clean with hot soapy water. If you find anything on a white cloth when drying, wash it again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts