Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, 2008 raptor 700
Had a few problems not many,
But I was going to sell it and have a guy coming tomorrow and ya…
A couple days ago I noticed it would idle real slow and then it just died and would barely start. I replaced the battery and it ran fine for a week and so I posted it and then just today I took about an hour ride and it just died on me again. It will start and stutter but just die again. I was thinking alternator but it turns over fine so how could that make sense?
tuner???
spark plug?
fuel injector?

·
Super Moderator
8,935 Posts
It loves you and doesn’t want to leave you….

In the meantime, check the gas cap vent as an option. It might be the injector though, run some sea foam through it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If you can get it to run; does it srumble or stall at certain rpms?
Or is it just random?
A bad fuel pump either dies all together, can stumble at idle, but usually just chokes out and dies at high rpm, because it can no longer maintain the rising pressure and flow rate needed.
The change in fuel pump priming sound is a sign it's on it's way out too.
I would see if the sparkplug looks lean.
I would not think the problem is eletrical/heat expansion related, as it takes too long to occur.
I would buy a new fuel pump
Pm Dez too, he had one for sale at a Great price, and may still.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
If it was a sensor going out would it?
Any failing sensor should overheat long before an hour, usually as soon as they get warm.
In most cases, something like a crank or throttle position sensor is going to throw a code.
So that would point back to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was REALLY thinking fuel pump.
But it runs fine for a while. Till it doesn’t run at all. And then after you turn the key back on the fuel pump doesn’t pressurize right. Spark plug is perfect tan.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Anybody have aftermarket fuel pumps they’ve tried? I don’t really wanna pay a bunch…
Ive heard good things about the quantum pumps... no personal experience though

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nathannewbie

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just unplug it.
It will keep the map stored in the PC, but it's changes will go away when it is unplugged.
So it’s ok to ride my quad for an hour plus without a tuner? I’ve got an intake and exhaust…. It’s gonna be running pretty lean. What are symptoms of bad tuners?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts