Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - so, its been a sad weekend for me, found out that my cylinder and piston are done for, and need to be replaced. Some background - its a 2010 700R, stock except for sand tires and in 2016 I got a stock Yamaha 700 exhaust. I live in Abu Dhabi, we ride half the year, the summers are too hot. All the riding has been in the sand dunes, about 20-30% are easy rides guiding new riders, the rest are normal/proper rides up steep slopes and along the crests. I'd only done 5,500kms, about 3,500miles, which to me seems low for sure. The mechanic said it can happen due to the desert conditions, though its still earlier than he expected. What did the engine in was the sand which somehow got through the air filter and messed up the engine.

I'd been quite diligent about getting it serviced twice each season, but evidently it wasn't enough - I first noticed it burning some oil about a year ago, and smelling some in the exhaust too. Thankfully it didn't die on me in the middle of the dunes.

Just curious to get your guys thoughts on how long should an engine last? It seems mine went sooner than it should have, but would like you hear your experiences and views.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Keep a clean oiled filter in it and change the oil frequently. Those are the 2 best things you can do to extend engine life. Sometimes, I change my filter after each ride, I inspect it after each ride. I have an extra filter to rotate in, good to have an extra filter for 2 day rides. You can store the spare filter in a sealed large ziploc bag already oiled ready to use.

Reactions: SVS

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,564 Posts
If you are using a K&N filter throw it away and get something else. And, always use a Outerwear's pre filter.

Reactions: Sazjun and SVS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep a clean oiled filter in it and change the oil frequently. Those are the 2 best things you can do to extend engine life. Sometimes, I change my filter after each ride, I inspect it after each ride. I have an extra filter to rotate in, good to have an extra filter for 2 day rides. You can store the spare filter in a sealed large ziploc bag already oiled ready to use.
Thanks, will do. Just curious, which filter do you use?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are using a K&N filter throw it away and get something else. And, always use a Outerwear's pre filter.
Been using a stock filter. Thanks for the Outerwear suggestion, will likely do that, just curious if it affects air-flow?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,564 Posts
If you're getting sand in the motor the air cleaner or something else is bad. A pre filter will have minimal effect on the air flow.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In my experience a foam filter works better than a cotton filter in ATV's if you ride in extreme dust. I have used both and the a cotton filter lets the very fine particles past until the filter starts to get a build up of dust on it. I will never use a cotton filter in a very dusty environment. If cotton was best, you would think they would come on the machines stock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts