Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading a lot of intake questions for the Raptor 700 on this forum lately so I figured I would put some time into analyzing and discussing most of the options out there all in one thread. Hopefully this is something that can get pinned to the top.

Lets start off with the billet adapter intakes that utilize the OEM box. All of these intakes will run the KN filter the pro design and GYTR are the only ones that will run a foam filter (unless you special ordered your own.

From left to right we have the Pro Design, Trinity, and Monster Flow

The pro design and GYTR are essentially the same unit when comparing adapter and filter size . They both come with a 3" Billet adapter ring, your choice of foam filter and wrap (pro design only) or KN Filter and outerwear.

The Trinity and Monster kits use a 3 1/2" billet adapter ring and a larger KN style filter. These kits also come with the outerwear.

Prices on billet adapter kits tend to run as follows

Pro Design with foam filter: $89.00

Pro Design with KN filter outerwear : $95.00

GYTR with foam filter: $90

GYTR with KN filter and outerwear: $125

With that being said it really does not make sense to purchase the GYTR brand when you can get more from the Pro Design brand for less money. If your looking for a foam filter there is no doubt that the Pro Design kits ARE YOUR BEST OPTION.

Now lets compare the Trinity and Monster intakes. As I said before both use a 3 1/2" billet adapter ring. That is about the only thing in common they now have. Trinity has started to use a cheap Knock-off brand of filter rather than the KN brand. Monster is still using the YA-3502 KN filter. Since they are both priced the same I HIGHLY recommend for you to purchase the Monster brand.

Prices on these 2 options are

Trinity paper filter kit with Outerwear: $140

Monster Flow KN Kit with outerwear: $140

Now we will move on to Drag style intakes and intakes that eliminate the box.

First for this section would be the LTE Airbox Eliminator Intake

Now I have no experience with this intake and no testing. All I can say is what I see in the pictures and it seems to have a very large filter, an aluminum intake tube, and outerwear. The only thing that worries me about this intake is the aluminum intake tube which in my mind would be prone to cracking. However if your a straight drag bike this may not be a concern.

Price:

LTE Drag style intake: $399.00

Next up is the FCI Intake. FCI has created an intake that gives you the option to run an aftermarket box or no box at all. The filter is very large and will not fit in your box. This is another kit that comes with an aftermarket intake tube, 8 ply paper filter, outerwear, and box if you choose. The FCI intake tube is made of a composite material that is very strong and guaranteed not to crack.

Price:

FCI Intake with no box: $234

FCI Intake with box: $289

Lastly would be Team Rocket Factories own personal intake that eliminates the airbox.

I dont have any pictures of this kit but I have been told it comes with a very big billet adapter and a huge filter for a very low price. Maybe someone can tune in with more info or pictures. I could not find any on their site.

Other intakes you may want to consider are the velocity which is found on ebay, CFM, and V2Products.

Now you may be asking what is the best option for you? I can tell you that we sell Monster and Trinity intakes with 75% of our big 3 kits. If you want a KN style filter and want to keep your stock airbox then these are what we highly recommend.

If you want a Foam Filter go with the Pro Design.

If you want a complete intake system that will give you the absolute most power with any future mods you may do my biased opinion is go with the FCI. FCI builds a quality intake that you cannot go wrong with.

If you want to keep your stock intake boot but want the biggest filter you can put and dont mind not having an airbox go with the TRF Intake. The price on this kit is very hard to beat and TRF has always been known to put out some quality parts.

Hopefully this helps a few of you out. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

·
Are Ya Jealous
393 Posts
Thanks a lot for this TQS...if you had thrown the modquad one in there i would have called you a mind reader...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I thought the TRF intake was a complete intake, not just an adapter and filter??

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I completely forgot about the Modquad.

Modquad intakes are very similar to the prodesign as well.

Price that I have seen is $139 for the KN kit and $109 for the foam kit.

Because of the size of the adapter (around 3") I would still go with the prodesign kit over modquad because of the lower price.

·
Are Ya Jealous
393 Posts
im sure steve is tired of me buggin him but, lol....i jus dont see how the monster flow has more air flow than the 3 inch adapters when its 3 inches on the backside, 3 1/2 inlet and 3 outlet....

·
Rocky Mountain Raptor Rider
111 Posts
Great post TQS. Wish I would have had a post like this back when I was in the market!! Would have saved me $100.

im sure steve is tired of me buggin him but, lol....i jus dont see how the monster flow has more air flow than the 3 inch adapters when its 3 inches on the backside, 3 1/2 inlet and 3 outlet....
I've thought this same thing! Seems to me that it doesn't matter how big the adapter is on the inside of the airbox if the outsides are all the same 3" diameter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Has anyone used the velocity intake system? Its priced similiar to the billet adapters w/filters, but to me would be a better option for power that is.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
I have a GYTR w/ outerwear...would the air intake gain be worth going to the larger monsterflow intake ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
do u run the velocity intake with a power commander if you do, would i be alright without a power commander? (everything on my bike is stock an intake would be my first mod)

·
Registered
473 Posts
do u run the velocity intake with a power commander if you do, would i be alright without a power commander? (everything on my bike is stock an intake would be my first mod)
I would make the power commander your first mod. It would make it too lean.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I run alot of trails I live east of the mississippi so I went FCI w/box. There's all kinds of condictions I see from mud to dusty to water crossing,this is all in one day no matter if it's rained in a month or not. This is why I ran the box to keep water from splashing in from bottom. If I get in deeper than top of the box I'm screwed no matter if got a box or not? So it's up to you and your plans for future mods.

·
Speed's Best Friend
1,321 Posts
This was a great post, I have a question. I have a velocity filter with a plastic adapter, Im not sure of the diameter of the adapter. After reading another intake related post a couple of days ago, I felt like a foam filter would probably be better for the dusty riding I do. My velocity is pretty warn out anyway and should be replaced. Does anyone know if any of the foam filters will fit my adapter or will I need to buy a whole kit?

·
Registered
549 Posts
This was a great post, I have a question. I have a velocity filter with a plastic adapter, Im not sure of the diameter of the adapter. After reading another intake related post a couple of days ago, I felt like a foam filter would probably be better for the dusty riding I do. My velocity is pretty warn out anyway and should be replaced. Does anyone know if any of the foam filters will fit my adapter or will I need to buy a whole kit?
Measure the outside diameter of your intake and call up UNI. They may have something for you.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Nice! I wish you had those before I bought foam from UNI and made my own.

Although one concern is that that wrap will be a little difficult to use if you have an air box. The foam I used to make my wrap is about half as thick and it is sort of hard to put the filter (wrap included) inside my air box. I'd like to use thicker foam though.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts