Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Monster or TRF which one do you recommend.

I have been reading a lot of intake questions for the Raptor 700 on this forum lately so I figured I would put some time into analyzing and discussing most of the options out there all in one thread. Hopefully this is something that can get pinned to the top.

Lets start off with the billet adapter intakes that utilize the OEM box. All of these intakes will run the KN filter the pro design and GYTR are the only ones that will run a foam filter (unless you special ordered your own.

From left to right we have the Pro Design, Trinity, and Monster Flow

The pro design and GYTR are essentially the same unit when comparing adapter and filter size . They both come with a 3" Billet adapter ring, your choice of foam filter and wrap (pro design only) or KN Filter and outerwear.

The Trinity and Monster kits use a 3 1/2" billet adapter ring and a larger KN style filter. These kits also come with the outerwear.

Prices on billet adapter kits tend to run as follows

Pro Design with foam filter: $89.00

Pro Design with KN filter outerwear : $95.00

GYTR with foam filter: $90

GYTR with KN filter and outerwear: $125

With that being said it really does not make sense to purchase the GYTR brand when you can get more from the Pro Design brand for less money. If your looking for a foam filter there is no doubt that the Pro Design kits ARE YOUR BEST OPTION.

Now lets compare the Trinity and Monster intakes. As I said before both use a 3 1/2" billet adapter ring. That is about the only thing in common they now have. Trinity has started to use a cheap Knock-off brand of filter rather than the KN brand. Monster is still using the YA-3502 KN filter. Since they are both priced the same I HIGHLY recommend for you to purchase the Monster brand.

Prices on these 2 options are

Trinity paper filter kit with Outerwear: $140

Monster Flow KN Kit with outerwear: $140

Now we will move on to Drag style intakes and intakes that eliminate the box.

First for this section would be the LTE Airbox Eliminator Intake

Now I have no experience with this intake and no testing. All I can say is what I see in the pictures and it seems to have a very large filter, an aluminum intake tube, and outerwear. The only thing that worries me about this intake is the aluminum intake tube which in my mind would be prone to cracking. However if your a straight drag bike this may not be a concern.

Price:

LTE Drag style intake: $399.00

Next up is the FCI Intake. FCI has created an intake that gives you the option to run an aftermarket box or no box at all. The filter is very large and will not fit in your box. This is another kit that comes with an aftermarket intake tube, 8 ply paper filter, outerwear, and box if you choose. The FCI intake tube is made of a composite material that is very strong and guaranteed not to crack.

Price:

FCI Intake with no box: $234

FCI Intake with box: $289

Lastly would be Team Rocket Factories own personal intake that eliminates the airbox.

I dont have any pictures of this kit but I have been told it comes with a very big billet adapter and a huge filter for a very low price. Maybe someone can tune in with more info or pictures. I could not find any on their site.

Other intakes you may want to consider are the velocity which is found on ebay, CFM, and V2Products.

Now you may be asking what is the best option for you? I can tell you that we sell Monster and Trinity intakes with 75% of our big 3 kits. If you want a KN style filter and want to keep your stock airbox then these are what we highly recommend.

If you want a Foam Filter go with the Pro Design.

If you want a complete intake system that will give you the absolute most power with any future mods you may do my biased opinion is go with the FCI. FCI builds a quality intake that you cannot go wrong with.

If you want to keep your stock intake boot but want the biggest filter you can put and dont mind not having an airbox go with the TRF Intake. The price on this kit is very hard to beat and TRF has always been known to put out some quality parts.

Hopefully this helps a few of you out. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Im getting ready to put on a +3 TB. Which intake do you recommend. I currently have a Team Rocket Factory intake with K&N filter. Im I going to see any gains if I go to a MONSTER?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
So FCI or my Team Rocket Factory intake? With my +3TB that im just about to put on, which will be best?

Team Rocket Factory intake OR FCI?
If you have this intake

I think you should stick with it. I seriously doubt there are any serious gains to be had in switching to the FCI, if any. The only benefit I see is FCI's 8 ply filter, which won't help with power.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Idk nothing about the TRF intake. It maybe the one that flows more. I read there's one out now that does, but I'm not sure who makes it though.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Looks about the same to me now that I look at them ones billit though maybe not sure side by side would be the best way to see if they look a like. I know the FCI will flow enough cfm for 1,000HP V-8.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Looks about the same to me now that I look at them ones billit though maybe not sure side by side would be the best way to see if they look a like. I know the FCI will flow enough cfm for 1,000HP V-8.
Are you sure about that...? Maybe the engine will run, but will it have enough air to run correctly?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Nah my rappy 350 has a FCI and chevy 350 in it I skim the great lakes once. I'm just poking some fun in here. My bad.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have this ...the TRF Intake below. Im adding a +3 TB, and wondering if I should keep the intake that I have or change to a FCI intake.

Will I get any gain by changing to the FCI?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
that just an adapter style intake the FCI unit comes with a big ass filter and a intake tube about 1/3 bigger than the stock unit thats why stock airbox can't be used.I have the FCI my buddy has the Monster intake thats the only differince exsept he got barkers also. and in 300" drags my bike starts pulling away big time at the top of 3rd and keeps pulling away from there on up thats all I know about this subject.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I have this ...the TRF Intake below. Im adding a +3 TB, and wondering if I should keep the intake that I have or change to a FCI intake.

Will I get any gain by changing to the FCI?
Go FCI I don't think you'll be disapointed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, you will definitely benefit going to the FCI. I had no idea TRF made their own adapter.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I have the Pro-Design K&N kit on mine right now. Would it be worth it to switch to the FCI w/box?? Would there be any noticable power gains?? Also I encounter some muddy trails and I need a lid over the filter. Does the FCI come with a lid, or is an open box??

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I have the Pro-Design K&N kit on mine right now. Would it be worth it to switch to the FCI w/box?? Would there be any noticable power gains?? Also I encounter some muddy trails and I need a lid over the filter. Does the FCI come with a lid, or is an open box??
It's according what other mods you have. If you just got the big3 not alot but if you got cam ignition high comp piston all the goodies switching is probably worth 5-10hp depending on your set up but on a 3 mod bike you'll only gain slightly in the over rev I would think I could be wrong though. You don't need a lid I ride in some pretty nasty stuff. Swamps off north Florida south goergia mountians in Kentucky where I cross creeks that come up over tires. I try to avoid but I have no choice at times I've been just fine some far.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's according what other mods you have. If you just got the big3 not alot but if you got cam ignition high comp piston all the goodies switching is probably worth 5-10hp depending on your set up but on a 3 mod bike you'll only gain slightly in the over rev I would think I could be wrong though. You don't need a lid I ride in some pretty nasty stuff. Swamps off north Florida south goergia mountians in Kentucky where I cross creeks that come up over tires. I try to avoid but I have no choice at times I've been just fine some far.

I have the big 3 and a stage 2 cam. I do plan on an ignition, 11.5:1 piston, and ported TB. And trust me, I need an airbox lid...lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is that a SUBMARINE or a Raptor. WOW!

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I have the big 3 and a stage 2 cam. I do plan on an ignition, 11.5:1 piston, and ported TB. And trust me, I need an airbox lid...lol

You can say goodbye to FCI. The filter won't fit in a stock airbox. The seat barely goes on after the FCI unit was installed with box. The only way to get water in the box is to go above the top of the box which is at seat level so you'd have to sink it damn near. If you cross water that deep you need to learn to skim it. I've seen raptors cross water 10'-15' deep and a 100' wide lakes rappy just skims the top look like a jet ski or sumin'. Idk a box that'll keep water out after being sunk.

21 - 40 of 138 Posts