Raptor Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,194 Posts
Is a couple hour ride worth the possibility of a melted piston?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys new to the forum and was looking for some advice, I have a 2006 Yamaha raptor 700 with dual dmc exaust, dmc efi control and k&n intake, I was looking to purchase pro tec air box lid for my stock box to get more air flow is it worth it or just run it lidless? I mostly run trails and some dunes riding.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Most of us go lidless. If you are currently running a lid and decide to remove it or even use that other lid, check your tune so you don't run lean.

Reactions: mattzila

·
Registered
14 Posts
Most of us go lidless. If you are currently running a lid and decide to remove it or even use that other lid, check your tune so you don't run lean.
Thanks for the reply, I'll try it lidless for now and just keep a eye on it, if I see to much dirt and dust I'll go with the lid

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Lidless with the K&N prefilter. Not just the paperish filter and no lid. At least I don't roll like that.

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I even like to use a pre-filter that goes over my K&N so it helps a little more. Ive been lidless for about 8-10 months and im still nervous.

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've just removed my lid with K&N. I only ride tarmac and dry weather is it safe to keep lid removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Do you have a fuel programmer?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Might need to change the map on it for no lid unless your map is already set up that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pro Design

Just wanted to chime in and say I really like the Pro Design setup that I just installed.
2006 Raptor 700 with a PCV and Lexx MXe (46mm race tip baffle removed) and using six 1 1/2" frogzskin's on my lid.
Much better response from my stock air filter.
Now I just have to keep trying maps to get it just right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just picked up a couple machines for my son and I to start riding this year.

Anyone pick up one of those $12 plastic air filter adapters for the stock airbox? There are tons of them on eBay. I ordered the plastic adapter, K&N RU-3130 filter, and a filterwears pre-filter. All in for $54. Not a bad price to start a Big 3. Much cheaper than the $100+ aluminum ones in the O.P.

Also have a used set of Barker duals and a MSD tuner coming as well.

Wondering if there is any known negatives to the plastic adapters? Going to be running the stock box and stock lid for now. Clean>Power in my opinion. I'll wait and see how dirty my trails are and maybe I'll consider taking off the lid and get a Filterwears cover for the box.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jumping in here a little late, but wanted to add a few things. FCI is a great intake ( I owe one), but I would not use it on a big 3 bike. You will see maybe 1 or 2 peak HP and some gains up top, but will lose more than that in lower and mid range rpms. It really doesn't work well with the stock cam combined with low compression. FCI seems to work best on 6 mod and up to around 80hp. After that I would say the intakes that come with the bigger TB's are the best. Kenz makes a 52mm that matches their port work for good gains. WK makes a 54mm (really 52 also) DL700 has done some work on the tube to maximize airflow. If your wallet is big enough and you are crazy enough, Barker makes some insane TB/intakes.Steve and others have more knowledge about the adapter intakes, but from what I have seen they all run pretty close in performance and work well with a 3mod bike. Not 100% but I think pro-design may have the best performance, but again gains are minimal. KDS is coming out with a 50mm intake, but not sure if he will design a intake or just recommend the FCI tube. Hope this helps some people. Merry Christmas!
I’d like to emphasize this comment. I definitely wouldn’t want to sacrifice low end grunt for 3 extra hp at the top. The low end is my favorite thing about the 700, and without a new cam or pistons designed to handle that much air, I think it’ll feel generally less powerful while actually riding. I have no experience in this as I have the stock intake and am trying to decide on a new one, but I think I’m gonna go with the Monster.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello I’m new here. Going to buy a new raptor this week. Wondering what the best big 3 combo is the best or should I get it all from one company. I know Dasa has full exhaust , intake and power commander as a package. Any one have any info that could help me with a purchase

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hello I’m new here. Going to buy a new raptor this week. Wondering what the best big 3 combo is the best or should I get it all from one company. I know Dasa has full exhaust , intake and power commander as a package. Any one have any info that could help me with a purchase
There are many big 3 bundles. Empire Industries, Monster, Rossier, Barkers are great!

121 - 138 of 138 Posts