Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
;) What do you guys think about having independent rear suspension on your raptor
A buddy of mine is having it put on his raptor.
He test drove the Quad Racer LT R450 with this set up on it and said it was unreal..

I will post back some picture and a report when he gets it back..

Here is a picture of the Quad Racer LT R450
and the unit off the quad..

·
Registered
841 Posts
thats pretty pimp but the price tag on them are crazy, like aything there will be pros and cons though depending on how u ride

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anyone that rides consistently in the crap that polaris had featured in their advertisment DVD should consider this mod. Seems to work pretty good.....as its known to do with the utilities.

For the sport application though and fast trails/woods racing/ hill climbing/mx/fast fireroads......I think it would be a wast of time and a lot of money!

My question is why on earth would you buy an LTR-450 MX quad.....specifically designed and setup for MOTORCROSS....then put a utility quad rear end on it?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that was my question too
but you got to see this phucker go..
I think this kid sponsors a pro racer that runs the GNCC I think the class is 40+
Out of the 2 races he ran he finished 1st and it was by more than 30 yards ..
I will pull the videos out and you can watch them running some fast trails and you can see how more more power to the ground this think has around corners.
It's not going to be good for the people that run dunes
as far as the repairis (Polaris) there IRS system is one piss poor design
I think the rims are even hitting the control arms .. How? I have no idea but thats what I hear.

Just like the Banshee and the rest of the 2 strokes..
15 years ago, If someone told me they would be antiquated in 15 years
I would of said they where nuts
This is what I have been hearing about the manual trans
and the solid axles :(
Not good for the old timers
But it may just happen

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I gotta say....for certain types of riding I can see that thing doing pretty well....but to me, with the way i ride, I would be giving up a lot in other areas.
ALSO...has anyone considered how much power is being lost by the time it hits the tires. Instead of having a straight axle in there where the power is being applied to the fullest extent possible (straight line)...now its being ben over at a like a 40 degree angle. Ever use a wrench with a swivel head on it. YOu cant get near the torque/power. Anyone ever mod a truck. I have....and when you have a 300 hp truck at stock level with the stock drive line angles...then lift the truck 3-4 inch's and totally change the drive line angles...it not only causes a lot of stress, but power is lost going to the rear wheels.

I am up in the air on this technology......good in some scenarios....bad in others.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Huh :3question: You're up in the air on lift kits....... :lol:

It seems to be popular opinion that a straight axle ute can pull better than one with IRS, so yes, you are definitely losing something in the IRS. I can see it for a trail machine, maybe for a 2WD quad built for cruising trails and a cushy ride. Something someone would buy for a "mid" level quad, something that snowmobiles and utes have, but we seem to be lacking in 2WD quads. 2WDs seem to be all sport or nothing, just choose your engine size, and there's a big jump between sizes.
In my limited opinion I think it would be nice to have a torquey (sp?), 600cc +-, IRS, 2WD, automatic quad. If my Yamaha dealer had something like that sitting there, it's probably what I would have boughten, even though I've always loved shifting.
Don't hate me for it ;)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
pacanis said:
Huh :3question: You're up in the air on lift kits....... :lol:

It seems to be popular opinion that a straight axle ute can pull better than one with IRS, so yes, you are definitely losing something in the IRS. I can see it for a trail machine, maybe for a 2WD quad built for cruising trails and a cushy ride. Something someone would buy for a "mid" level quad, something that snowmobiles and utes have, but we seem to be lacking in 2WD quads. 2WDs seem to be all sport or nothing, just choose your engine size, and there's a big jump between sizes.
In my limited opinion I think it would be nice to have a torquey (sp?), 600cc +-, IRS, 2WD, automatic quad. If my Yamaha dealer had something like that sitting there, it's probably what I would have boughten, even though I've always loved shifting.
Don't hate me for it ;)

????huh......I was referring to lift kits to give an example of what happens when you dick with the angles of the drive line or in this case the loss of a straight axle, to approx 40 degree cv joints. You cant get near the power or torque with those kind of angles. Straight is going to be by far the most efficient way of transfering power to the wheels.

I wouldnt hate anyone for being interested in this....but I dont see it as the "future of sport atv's" like some say. Not for a long time. It may be better in some cases...but hardly for all!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Miscommunication, Boom.
I thought you were making a pun mentioning being up in the air right after talking about lift kits. My bad. I also meant don't hate me for possibly not wanting a Raptor. I was saying that if there had been a Yamaha at the dealers like the non-existent quad I described, I probably would've leaned that way for my first quad. I love my rappy, but it doesn't get used/ridden to its potential. There aren't any wide open spaces or tracks around where I live, so bouncing along the trails at a quick but leisurely pace on an IRS would have suited me just fine... had it been available.
I think there would be a market for it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
yeah.....I think so too!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with ya boom.... I'm for the old school sport quads. I've never ridden a trail yet that I could honestly say that I would prefer IRS. Usually the most fun is had when they get the squirliest, kinda separates the weak of heart from the adrenaline junkies...lol

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to take her out for a test ride this weekend
I didn't notice any loss of power but it's hard to toss around like a straight axle
It's like the front wheels are not digging in, because of the rear roll and or the tires
stay square with the ground. Hard to make sharp turns under serious power too.
But in the rocky trails it's a way cool experience, Super nice, soft ride.

Probably take a few weekends to get the feel for it ..

I can see it catching on with the boy's that race GNCC etc
But it's not for me. I had a open mind about it as well but I was not converted
Still a old school guy

It sure is a conversation piece tho , turns lots of heads

I attached a couple of pictures of it
Got to admit tho
It sure looks sweet

·
Registered
273 Posts
It does look tight. Does it complicate wheelies(cuz I like a good wheelie every now and then) but I don't race anything besides straight. Is it tough accelerating out of a corner, because that would be a problem? :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
i live very neer the rubicon and ride ther some times i have run the skids into so many rocks. i would love to pic this up. does it say how much more clearance i gets ?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wheelies no problem at all
accelerating out of a corner is wicked fast
but accelerating into one is a little ruff only if it's a tight one

I am not sure of the ground clearance
I can measure it for you
you can't touch the ground clearance with a straight axle
this puppy is high even with stock size tires

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Looks like fun. I would love to take one for a spin. I ride dunes too much to go for IRS, but would not mind riding one.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
maybe its just the angle....but that doesnt seem like much more ground clearance if you ask me? :3question:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts