Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a raptor 700 that seems to run very well. It shifts nice and easy through all gears but the issue is it makes a knock in second gear... It almost sounds like the lower end bearing... has anyone else seen or heard of this and what it might be?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
from what it sounds it could be your carrier bearings. Put your quad on a jack stand so both tires are off the ground. when they are take both your hand on each side of the axle and try to move it side to side and forward and backward. there souldent be any play at all trying to move it forward or backwards. It could even be as simple as the chain roller. its hard to diagnose with your description. If all seems well try to run it a little bit through the gears and try to find the problem that way.

If still cant find it u can try to take a short video of where u hear it and let us hear it also. it would help 100% with a vid of it.

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts
I just had a tooth come off my 3rd gear output and it made a thumping/knocking type sound,only in that gear.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
right and now that i think of it, check your chain. for any rollers that are out.

·
Desert Racer
679 Posts
right and now that i think of it, check your chain. for any rollers that are out.
the clue in this case like mine is it is only making the noise in 2nd gear.:D

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I just had a tooth come off my 3rd gear output and it made a thumping/knocking type sound,only in that gear.
A broken tooth getting picked up and getting jammed between 2 teeth can lead to this.

That's not what happened here. That's called shifting from second to third at wot then a second after I hit third it catches all traction and boom I did hear a knock right before I shifted though.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
jeez i would imagine that would take some force to snap something of that size in half lol.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A friend of mine had the exact same thing happened to his, and it only knocked when in that particular gear. I think his was 3rd also.

I think there is something inside the tranny with your 2nd gear, if it was the chain, sprockets, or carrier it would do it in all gears, not just one of them.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
When my carrier bearings were going out it would always clunk when i would give it gas while in 2nd and 3rd. After i replaced my carrier never heard the noise again. It would be worth the $$ for a new clutch gasket just to look over his tranny though if its not the carrier or chain.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
jeez i would imagine that would take some force to snap something of that size in half lol.
Big3 bike with +3tb hc3 dynatek FS

I had 20/11/9 8 paddle haulers on it playing in about 10"-12" of snow. I went flying across the back yard of a empty house it spins down and catches a sidewalk right as I shifted it went from very little traction to 100% in .000009 seconds. Then boom it's all over lol

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
from what it sounds it could be your carrier bearings. Put your quad on a jack stand so both tires are off the ground. when they are take both your hand on each side of the axle and try to move it side to side and forward and backward. there souldent be any play at all trying to move it forward or backwards. It could even be as simple as the chain roller. its hard to diagnose with your description. If all seems well try to run it a little bit through the gears and try to find the problem that way.

If still cant find it u can try to take a short video of where u hear it and let us hear it also. it would help 100% with a vid of it.
Yup bearings is deff the problem creating the noise inside the MOTOR..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts