Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys, I want to know if someone had shave your raptor 700 seat to make it lower just in the middle, where we all ussually seats when we ride, so its sits your body lower and it also helps with the body movement side to side on fast and tight turns. I think It can make a pretty good contribution on handling. Im not a fat boy, my weight is about 168Lb and Im 5.9foots tall, so I think there is too much foam in the middle of the seat for my weight So, Im looking for some experiences, so post your's opinions. Thank you!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Hello Guys, I want to know if someone had shave your raptor 700 seat to make it lower just in the middle, where we all ussually seats when we ride, so its sits your body lower and it also helps with the body movement side to side on fast and tight turns. I think It can make a pretty good contribution on handling. Im not a fat boy, my weight is about 168Lb and Im 5.9foots tall, so I think there is too much foam in the middle of the seat for my weight So, Im looking for some experiences, so post your's opinions. Thank you!
I am basically your size, and really like the seat, and that is just it about seats...they are 100% a personal preference.
I like it, you don't, or vice versa.
I have done several custom sportbike and 4wheeler seats over the years, and they have all turned out well.
The best advice I can give you is to use an electric knife(cooking section of store) to trim the foam, measure and mark the foam Before you cut it, and take away small amounts at a time.
You can use spray glue to replace or repair pieces of foam if need be.
Cutting a 1" deep and wide(or larger) groove completely down the center can also relive pressure and increase comfort.
And, if you go too thin, even if it's comfortable at first, the medium to soft density of the stock foam will compress even more(as there is less of it to support you), the seat will then feel very firm, and can quickly become uncomfortable.
The solution is firm density foam, or firm and medium or soft combined.
You will also need a quality stapler.
If the stapler is pneumatic, you must be careful with the air pressure, because if the psi is too high, the staple will go in too deep, with too much force, and it will literally tear through the cover material, leaving you with little or no room at all for a staple on that edge of the cover material.
Make sure the staples are not too long either, otherwise they will punch right through, especially at the front sides and top where the foam is thin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am basically your size, and really like the seat, and that is just it about seats...they are 100% a personal preference.
I like it, you don't, or vice versa.
I have done several custom sportbike and 4wheeler seats over the years, and they have all turned out well.
The best advice I can give you is to use an electric knife(cooking section of store) to trim the foam, measure and mark the foam Before you cut it, and take away small amounts at a time.
You can use spray glue to replace or repair pieces of foam if need be.
Cutting a 1" deep and wide(or larger) groove completely down the center can also relive pressure and increase comfort.
And, if you go too thin, even if it's comfortable at first, the medium to soft density of the stock foam will compress even more(as there is less of it to support you), the seat will then feel very firm, and can quickly become uncomfortable.
The solution is firm density foam, or firm and medium or soft combined.
You will also need a quality stapler.
If the stapler is pneumatic, you must be careful with the air pressure, because if the psi is too high, the staple will go in too deep, with too much force, and it will literally tear through the cover material, leaving you with little or no room at all for a staple on that edge of the cover material.
Make sure the staples are not too long either, otherwise they will punch right through, especially at the front sides and top where the foam is thin.
thx u very much for the reply, I will keep that on mind.

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 4 of 4 Posts