Raptor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just bought one 30 minutes ago, and can confirm it is indeed 10mm.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Great write up thanks

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,600 Posts
Good job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello

I have a question.

Quantity in crankcase
1.30 L (1.14 Imp qt, 1.37 US qt)

Quantity in Oil tank
1.00 L (0.88 Imp qt, 1.06 US qt)

Is any problem to change the settings?

·
11,600 Posts
Hello

I have a question.

Quantity in crankcase
1.30 L (1.14 Imp qt, 1.37 US qt)

Quantity in Oil tank
1.00 L (0.88 Imp qt, 1.06 US qt)

Is any problem to change the settings?
How do you want to change it?? Basically, just under 2 1/2 quarts. It can be split between the motor and tank in most any percentage.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok I made a mistake and just drained the oil pan and the oil filter housing then I put 2 quarts in the oil pan where the dipstick goes. Can I just drain the motor and let it circulate from the pan?

·
Super Moderator
8,277 Posts
Just start fresh....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 700R SE 2016. Is it same Procedure? becouse in the owner manual they did not mention to add any oil through crankcase filler!
In fact I poured 1.85L in oil tank filler, and the dipstick still show low level of oil. Any help Please?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Done. I poured 2.2L, And now the oil level is Okay. But I don’t know why they did not mention that quantity in the owner manual!!!
Actually, I rode the ATV for 40 hours with low level of oil "1.85L".So I don't know if that will affect on the engine in the future?

·
11,600 Posts
Done. I poured 2.2L, And now the oil level is Okay. But I don’t know why they did not mention that quantity in the owner manual!!!
Actually, I rode the ATV for 40 hours with low level of oil "1.85L".So I don't know if that will affect on the engine in the future?
Your motor should be OK. It works as a dry sump, when running, the oil in the motor is all pumped in the tank. Then circulated thry the motor. As long as there is oil in the tank, oil goes thru the motor.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

Reactions: Fahadcom

·
Registered
72 Posts
ha success! i was so worried about stripped drain plug etc, but done and cleaned the oil screen too!

i love this forum..lol

now on the service the grizzly!

Reactions: Mad Dog

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Owners manual says add to Oil Tank only, not crankcase because of the whole dry oil sump mechanism which I'll spare the details of... Do I agree with manual? No! I change my oil pretty much how Mad Dog took the time to post with excellent pics too, even though the manual makes no indication to put oil in crankcase.
My 2017 Raptor 700R Owners Manual specifically states after removing oil and tightening all the bolts: "Add 1.37 US qts through Oil Tank filler hole (Only There). Start engine, rev several times, turn it off, then gradually fill oil oil tank to correct level on dipstick."
No no no, do it the Mad Dog way... better for your engine's innards after an oil change to have oil in the crankcase for immediate lubrication. (I know how dry-sumps work differently)
Think of it this way: You drained oil out of the crankcase after ~20 +/-hrs riding it, so the engine naturally retained oil in crankcase as it was obviously engineered to retain oil in crankcase, so put some back there too after an oil change. Maybe Yamaha thinks we're just a bunch of dummies out here in good ole USA, and we'd be confused if we were told to put oil in 2 places instead of 1...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Need help with oil change just drained my crank case not reserve put about a qt in there till it over filled started it and it went down like half a quart but no oil in crank case the dipstick shows more then enough oil does this mean my crank case has good enough oill???

·
Registered
427 Posts
Need help with oil change just drained my crank case not reserve put about a qt in there till it over filled started it and it went down like half a quart but no oil in crank case the dipstick shows more then enough oil does this mean my crank case has good enough oill

I'm a little confused on your posting. If your changing the oil, you should drain case and Reservoir tank and change filter. Once you do that, there is a couple ways to do this. One is put one quart in res tank and start the engine for 20 seconds. Then ad the other quart. Another is pull the hex clutch cover bolt and pour a quart in there and the other quart in res tank.

I put in two quarts total on a oil change and call it a day. If you jack up rear of bike, a little extra will run out. If that's the case, then I add 2 quarts plus an 1/8 .

·
11,600 Posts
Yep, drain the motor and the reservoir tank. Then put a 1qt in the tank, and 1qt in the motor. You're done, the level is inconstant because it self levels between the motor and tank. Just start it and ride, BRAAAAAAAAAAAPP!!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Need help with oil change just drained my crank case not reserve put about a qt in there till it over filled started it and it went down like half a quart but no oil in crank case the dipstick shows more then enough oil does this mean my crank case has good enough oill???

Drain your oil from the crankcase and reservoir and start over, as said, 2 quarts with filter replacement. 0.5 in crankcase and 1.5 in oil tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just did my first oil change tonight, thanks for this great thread. Here in Canada we use liters, I added some oil to both the crankcase, and oil tank, poured in exactly 2 liters, went for a 35 minute ride, after 2 minutes idling and looking for leaks. Reads just under the full mark by a tiny amount. For no particular reason, I chose to use Bel Ray EXT Synthetic Ester Blend 4T 10W40, and an original Yamaha oil filter from the dealer.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts