Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2009 raptor 700 se i have like 1700 miles on it now and like 230-280 hours cant remember exactly but last september 4th gear siezed up on the main shaft and broke like 4 gears and some other things in the trans well i got that all fixed costing me a grand total just a little shy of 1200 dollars and they claimed i had been running it low on oil which i know i dont keep up with it like i should but im sure it wasnt real low and i couldnt come up with service records or reicepts where i bought oil and filters so i ate this one and paid the bill.....well they told me to keep my reciepts of oil changes and work done to it and when i buy oil and filters and all well i have changed my oil twice since then and have hardly ridden and i had the valves adjusted and now the connecting rod is siezed up on the crankshaft....once again they claim that i have run it low on oil again but i know for sure i havent...and this is yamaha extended service that has denied my claims....has anyone else had this much trouble outta their raptors and or the yamaha service? im so fed up with it i went today and looked at the new can ams.....i hate to leave yamaha cause thats all i have ridden since i was like 8 but if they gonna do me like this im gonna switch.....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, many people on here have had lots of good experiences with the rappy motors. If you are sure that the oil was full, and correct type i might look into the oil pump for issues. Not likely that you have two seized failures just coincidental.

And for the record, Can-am breaks more than yamaha. My buddy has a outlander 800 and renegade 800. Both are broken, and they always run hot.

Not sure with the warrenty bc ive never used them. But it seems like dealer BS to me. Try a second opinion.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dang....more bad news lol might be time to just throw in the towel....i thought about something like a 250r also cause i mean 2 stroke so its simple and i could re do it if something messed up but they are kinda old and are gonna be gettin tough to find parts prob......

·
Registered
664 Posts
Maybe they didnt clean all the metal out of the cases or even check the oil pump when the trans went out. Rod bearing failures seemed to occur more on the 06s, mine uncluded. Good luck but I would fight that one. There is no way to tell if they cleaned all the metal out now because that bearing just filled it up pretty good again. Screen in the tank is prolly packed full along with the oil pick up.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
If it did run low on oil the first time you very well may have done damage to the top end and crank bearings before the transmission was replaced, in which case Yamaha didn't do a very good job in finding all the problems the last time.

You're screwed with extended service warranties, you absolutely need complete documentation of regular service if you don't have the dealers do it. It's completely ridiculous that they are able to deny you for this, but it's common practice.

You should be able to get a used stock motor for what you've already paid yamaha to fix yours.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah for all the repairs i coulda bought that trinity big bore motor that some one had for sale on here but its too late now i guess if i have another problem with it i think im gonna see if i can raise some cane with them and tell em i got a lemon motor and see if i cant just get a new one all together

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Wow.....that's gotta be the longest sentence I've ever tried to read. My head hurts now. :lol:

Do a search on siezed cranks. It's not unheard of in the 700. I've noticed it happens more frequently to those who ride long wheelies.

How often are you changing the oil and what type of oil are your using?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have an 06 outlander 800 and has about 3000 hard miles, it has been up to the racks many times in mud and water and it has been really good to me. If they both are running hot have your buddy check the radiator, muddy water hits it, the water evaporates, then your left with dry mud caked to the radiator fins and it can't cool.

Most of your extended warranties are underwritten by a 3rd party and will not be directly through yamaha and most of my dealings with these 3rd parties is they use every excuse they can to get out of doing the service, the other thing that goes against you is the dealerships are contracted as to how much they can charge that company for each repair and make a lot less than they would if the job was for a regular customer so I have seen some dealerships that will say warranty will not cover it when it actually would have.

My advice is those warranties are a scam, your better off getting a service manual and learning to do the work on your own. If I was in your situation, I would do like Mad Dog said and just buy a used engine. There still could be other damage from the first time it was run low on oil.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow.....that's gotta be the longest sentence I've ever tried to read. My head hurts now. :lol:

Do a search on siezed cranks. It's not unheard of in the 700. I've noticed it happens more frequently to those who ride long wheelies.

How often are you changing the oil and what type of oil are your using?
lol yea i know my writing skills arent the best but it gets me by

i try to change it like every other month or so like every 30-40 hours im guessing and i use yamalube 20-40 i think

but the wheelie part that might have something to do with it cause i ride in some nice flat looong corn fields and its nothing to start in 1st and go all the way to 5th on the back wheels what would be a fix for this other than just not doing it anymore?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The wheelie issue has been long debated and the general consesus is that it will not harm your motor because th oil pick-up is in the rear of the case.
That being said, I have heard really bad things about yamalube!!! I saw a cylinder with 300 hrs on it that ran yamalube which was changed every 20 hrs. It was egg shaped and WAAAYYY out of spec. Then I saw a cylinder that ran amsoil for 1100 hrs. and it looked brand new. I use amsoil religously and others swear by mobil1 and rottela. Also I haven't found an honest dealership yet. They are all out to make money and could care less about you. I learn as much as I can and do all of my own maintenance. I bought my bike new in 08 and still have 3 pit passes that I never used LOL. I don't trust those dealership monkeys to tighten a lugnut on my quad. I think I paid 300 each for the pit passes and I asked to have them refunded to me. They offered me 60 dollars for all 3 LMFAO!!!! I told them to keep it and I'll never be back. They ALWAYS find a way to blame the issue on you so they are not liable regardless of your warranty. Fine print, fine print, fine print.

Reactions: Natural

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i hear ya man the local dealership is small here but i swear he is the most honest person i know if he thinks its something else wrong with it then what it is he will tell you even if it cost him a sale i took my quad to him first cause he is the best i know at working on this stuff expensive but you bet your ass when you get it back its gonna be right and he told me straight out after looking at it that the crank was shot in it and would have to be replaced and that he would work on it but if its got the extended service he wasnt gonna touch it if i wanted to try to get it covered cause he wont deal with them so i took it to another dealer which is bigger and sells the extened plans and they told me that the piston was wore out and the cylinder was too and that they had like gawded up and the top end would need to be replaced....well 2 weeks later they call and ask me to stop by....so i did and they show me the quad and was like well it looks like the connecting rod has sieze one the crank...and i look at the mechanic and said no shit? thats what i told you was wrong with it when i brought it in lol and he goes what you want us to do with it and i said hell fix it its not doing me any good like that lol im sure i sounded like a dick but my gosh they have me drive and hour and 15 mins to show me that its broken....

once again yeah i know loooong sentence lol

·
LOOK UP IN THE SKY ITS A BIRD, A PLANE, THAT'S THE
547 Posts
ya hell they could have told ya that over the phone .with the gas prices what they are.goodluck on gettting it fixed sorry to hear about your trouble's.oh ya don't worrie about the long sentence heck i read to my self out load and when i run out of breath then i put a period ,lol:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
700 raptor

Hear that Carpenter! Don't trust the dealers, they just want to move product and service. Take advantage of their ignorance and use them to get a good buy, but after that do your homework.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts