Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a cheap one that i bought in a workshop..the lighting is great until it overheats and shuts off :p so i dont recommend cheap ones, my ballast units are connected to the headlamp mounts

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Cheap ones suck mine are great until hot also :mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
My cheap ones run fine. I have 2 cheap sets in my truck, 1 set in my wife's car, and 1 set in my raptor. I ran the ones in my raptor for 4+ hours the other day and no issues. Paid around $40 per pair for them.

My ballasts are mounted to the headlight brackets too. And I run the relay harness on them so they only use the stock wiring to switch them on.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
It could just be my ballast. Was fine until one night I lost one light since then they both come on then one goes then five minutes later the other.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
+1 on the cheap ones. 40 bucks on fleabay. 30 for the kit and 10 for a relay (seperate). Zero issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks like im the only unlucky person on here that has cheap HID that dont work :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Spider-Lōc;997299 said:
It could just be my ballast. Was fine until one night I lost one light since then they both come on then one goes then five minutes later the other.
Do you have them on a relay Spider? Because mine acted very funny before I put the relay on them.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I've got Xentec? ones. Ballasts are between the headlight brackets and the frame. Almost perfect fit. Think I turned 'em on maybe 3 times though so I dunno if they have any heating issues...
I did wire in a relay. I'll get some pic tomorrow if I can remember.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Do you have them on a relay Spider? Because mine acted very funny before I put the relay on them.
I can build the bikes engine and stuff but idk how to wire in a relay I'm dumb to wiring. I burned a caddy down after I installed a system in it. Id rather have no lights than fry my wiring harness or set rappy ablaze. Can some one break it down to me like you would a kindergardener lol.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Do you run one relay or one per side?

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
spider, its a relay for a car so the wiring will seem longer than normal. but one relay will work for both healights/ballasts. my relay was plug and play. hardest part was just getting the wires to tuck nice. all your doing is relaying power from the battery to your HIDs. your starter has a relay...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
A relay is nothing more than a electric switch spider. Ya wire your lights to one side and a switched power/ground to the other. I can't draw on the computer so I can't draw ya a picture... LOL BUt it's actually pretty simple if ya think of it as 2 completely seperate circuits. Just with the relay in the center connecting the 2.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I'm sure I can get somebody to wire it up I guess.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
So I buy a relay and run a 12v to it then run Ti to the wires that the lights hook to in front of ballist will there be a extra switch?

·
Registered
115 Posts
All you have to do is buy pretty much and HID relay harness. It's plug and play from there and then hiding the extra wire. If you can install the HIDs themselves, you can install the relay. Its much easier.

It has 2 wires that go to the battery, a positive and a ground, then you unplug both of the wires that plug into the ballast, the wires that supply the power to the HIDs currently, then you plug the wires from the relay to each ballast. Then plug one of the wires coming from the raptor, the wire that were supplying power to the HIDs (but only 1 side), into the the harness with the relay. And it's done. That might seem more confusing but I promiss you if you order an HID relay harness you will be able to tell what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
115 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Pics of my ballists;

relay; (have ta excuse my lovely wiring... I'll clean it up someday)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts