Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been a couple of relatively minor issues found by Yamaha concerning the new 700 Raptor.

1) Vapor locking. Winter fuel with lower boiling point is blamed but they have changed out the fuel pump mid-production to fix it. The new fuel pump now has a 0.8mm vapor bleeder hole. If you don't have a fuel pump with part number 1S3-13907-02-00 you have the problem pump. If you do have part number 1S3-13907-02-00 then obviously you are ok. These were on early quads only.

2) There are two bullet connectors in the fan circuit that may not be fully connected fully causing the fan not to come on occaisionally (short circuit). The fix is simple. The connectors are located in the rear of the quad near the relays. They are wrapped up so you will have to cut open the tape sheathing, push the connectors all the way together and then tape the sheathing back up. No problem.

3) Power washing the quad is leading to corrosion in the TPS sensor plug. This is rare and is only happening when people get too aggressive with the power washing and get water in the plug. The fix is simple. Put a little bit for dielectric grease in the plug and don't get happy with the powerwashing.

I can post scans of the service bulletins if and when I get someone to post them somewhere so I can link them in. :help:

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Thanks for the update, if we can be of any help in getting these online let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maddog56,

You are definately right about #3. I just took my raptor 700 in because it wouldn't start. They said I had a faulty TPS. I bet it was from power washing. At least warranty covered it!!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend on another forum has already checked his quad and had the following to say. He did have the fan connector issue and corrected it.
"The PN# for the fuel pump should be on top of the fuel pump just under the fuel tank cover. Just remove the grill and cover to check.

The barrel connector for the fan unit is located under your seat. If you look just behind the manual holder slot you will see three relays. Underneath those three relays is a small plastic pouch wrapped with electrical tape. Inside that pouch is the barrel connectors referenced in the service bulletin"

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maddog56 said:
Thanks for the update, if we can be of any help in getting these online let us know.
I just need a volunteer to post the service bulletins online. I can e-mail them. The service bulletins are fairly detailed and have picture associated in them for more details. :thumbsup:
The fan connector issue should be attended to by everyone as soon as possible. 11 of 11 quads have had the issue that I know of. Looks like a very widespread issue.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I e-mailed the service bulletins. Thanks for the assistance I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. You did the hard part. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
1) Vapor locking. Winter fuel with lower boiling point is blamed but they have changed out the fuel pump mid-production to fix it. The new fuel pump now has a 0.8mm vapor bleeder hole. If you don't have a fuel pump with part number 1S3-13907-02-00 you have the problem pump. If you do have part number 1S3-13907-02-00 then obviously you are ok. These were on early quads only.

I checked my fuel pump and have the fuel pump #1S3-13907-01, which is the older one. I called two yamaha dealers and they haven't heard of the service bulletin for this problem, they even ran my vin number which should show any service bulletins and recalls and they came up with nothing. Do you have a service bulletin number?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I don't have a bulletin number. You can print this one off or I can e-mail it to you. Ask your dealer to look at the part up and ask them if they can explain why it has a different number. Not all dealers have access to this information. They only get it if they attend the classes. Then again they could be shooting a line of BS. To my knowledge there is no official recall on this issue.

·
Registered
105 Posts
First and foremost, thanks a bunch!!

1. got the "good" fuel pump.

2. found the two connectors this morning, looked like they might not be all the way together. Shoved them together, went riding all day, and WOW, I have a fan.
Now this pissed me off because the "experts" at the dealership told me they checked front to back and found NOTHING wrong with the fan. In fact, I think we are going to have a little chat about their $899 extended RIP-OFF!!

Anyway, thanks for sharing great info, and one last thing...where is the TPS sensor plug so I can check it out??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TPS connector is on the right side at the throttle body. It is the plug that has the female facing the rear of the quad. Black long oval shaped and right under the side frame rail.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
OK, I went and check the fan wiring, you need to pull off the seat, pull out all the relays behind the airbox, you will see a pouch thats all taped up, untape it and inside is a couple connectors both of mine were half way pushed in. I pushed them together, Now i just need to let it run for awhile to see if the fan kicks on.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
stlraptor said:
First and foremost, thanks a bunch!!

1. got the "good" fuel pump.

2. found the two connectors this morning, looked like they might not be all the way together. Shoved them together, went riding all day, and WOW, I have a fan.
Now this pissed me off because the "experts" at the dealership told me they checked front to back and found NOTHING wrong with the fan. In fact, I think we are going to have a little chat about their $899 extended RIP-OFF!!

Anyway, thanks for sharing great info, and one last thing...where is the TPS sensor plug so I can check it out??

Thanks
Thats the funny thing about the fan connector. It was throwing everybody off because the loose connection made an occaisional short circuit. It may have worked find when the checked it but bumping around from riding would short the connection. It's not really the Yamaha techs fault. They get a bad rap on this one. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the old fuel pump and the fan connector issue. :mad:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts