Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spur of the moment took off to Durhamtown,GA this morning. Weather was warm and sunny, and wanted to see if I could remain undefeated today at the drag strip. Started out with a new stategy to rev really high, and dump the clutch in 3rd gear WOT. I was literally laying belly down on my seat, and beat a Can Am 800 with over 74hp, continuously! The only thing I done to my engine, was a drop in cam, and he swore I bored and/or stroked it. Said he ate up built raptor 700's left and right, and never raced one as fast as mine. If I had to guess, mine is around 59-60hp.

Anyway, because of so much dumping the clutch in 3rd gear, clutch disc got hot, and started slipping. Beat over 20 quads and bikes back to back today, and then the clutch goes. I knew it was the disc, and it was because I kept doing it, and not allowing it to cool down.

Does anyone know if a heavy duty clutch would fix this problem? Or, must I come to realize that our quads aren't made to launch from 3rd, atleast not repetitively. Anyone ever hear of a DP or DPK clutch kit? Alledgedly the best?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/DPK-CLUTCH-YAMAHA-RAPTOR-06-08/dp/B001OAQYHI[/ame] <---- LINK TO CLUTCH KIT

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Probably mid 50s and just do the full fiber mod. There is a how to somewhere around here. DL700 wrote I believe, or could be on Modded Raptor.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
I have been using a Tusk clutch kit with the full fiber mod for about 2 years now.. But If I drag race I only do 2 or 3 runs then park it for about 30min...

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
do the "clutch mod" like mentioned, and throw some heavier springs in it...you should be fine with that setup.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been using a Tusk clutch kit with the full fiber mod for about 2 years now.. But If I drag race I only do 2 or 3 runs then park it for about 30min...
Do u launch in 3rd as well?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you know if Steve or Kenneth sale these kits all together? Or is this something I have to piece together?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I raced a friend of mine today with a Renegade 1000 and he and I are neck and neck until I shift to 3rd then I start walking away from him. He has a slip on exhaust. My mods are in my sig.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, so maybe they aren't as fast as I thought they were. I know there is a big weight difference, but I got flat out smoked by a 2010 Can Am renegade 800 with a blown motor!!!! It did have a turbo on it, but he was winning with a blown turbo powered engine, and winning by 4-5 bike lengths. Guess I gave those mini tanks too much credit.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the Rekluse clutch worth the $$$?

The z-Start Pro offers unique benefits as a high-end complement to Rekluse’s industry-leading z-Start Clutch. The z-Start Pro offers features which directly benefit pro-level riders, motocross riders, and any ATV rider looking for the highest level of clutch performance, including:

•Perfect override through the entire RPM range
•Smoother engagement with more consistent clamping force
•Billet aluminum center clutch maximizes clutch performance and increases durability
•Simple installation without mounting shims
•Minimal maintenance required
The Rekluse z-Start Pro Clutch is an automatic clutch that simply replaces your stock pressure plate. Control the bike by simply turning the throttle. The z-Start Pro Clutch eliminates stalling, improves traction, reduces arm pump, improves starts, increases corner speed, and puts more power to the ground in the most demanding situations. Whether you're a beginning trail rider or experienced off-road competitor, you can benefit from the industry-leading z-Start Clutch.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
if your clutch is smoked, get new OEM fibers, heavier springs and get rid of the half fiber aka the clutch mod.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if your clutch is smoked, get new OEM fibers, heavier springs and get rid of the half fiber aka the clutch mod.
Will do. Just gonna run with dale and get the Tusk kit with HD springs. Also, the full fiber

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a 06 700 stock and a 07 Renegade 800. Never had a chance to race them in a fair head to head race because the Renegade has 2" lift with 30" mudzillas. I saw both my quads race each other 2 years ago when they were owned by my friends. Neither can drive well, I think the Raptor was faster though but top end maybe the renegade....
Not fair race now that I own each and the renegade is lifted....

I think ill be doing this clutch mod soon. What does the tusk kit and fibers and HD springs cost like $100ish total?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 06 700 stock and a 07 Renegade 800. Never had a chance to race them in a fair head to head race because the Renegade has 2" lift with 30" mudzillas. I saw both my quads race each other 2 years ago when they were owned by my friends. Neither can drive well, I think the Raptor was faster though but top end maybe the renegade....
Not fair race now that I own each and the renegade is lifted....

I think ill be doing this clutch mod soon. What does the tusk kit and fibers and HD springs cost like $100ish total?
No more than, but I'm really thinking $60ish total.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Do you know if Steve or Kenneth sale these kits all together? Or is this something I have to piece together?
I'm running a oem clutch with the HDD kit. It's a complete kit from him well the full fiber and heavy duty HDD springs. It's never slipped at 80+ hp with mass 3rd gear launches and hard 2nd gear launches on pavement. What was the track like there? Hard packed sand or a mixture kinda loose but hard? I've beat on my clutch and it's good donuts on pavement long burn outs into 4th gear geared 15/36. Get you a new oem clutch then call Daniel get the full fiber kit throw away the 1/2 fiber install the full one and HD springs. You'll like it mines never slipped.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
That's all it is but I think Daniels springs are stiffer or so I've heard I run the HDD ones.

·
Cola Crew
1,368 Posts
Yes I do launch in 3rd... At about 6500rpm and it is hard on the clutch... With only 2qts of oil to cool it doing back to back runs, I can feel it going away after the 2nd run...

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys. I'll get here tore down, and back up before this weekend. Suppose to hit a new (to me) spot in Gaffney. You guys ever been to K BAR M?

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes I do launch in 3rd... At about 6500rpm and it is hard on the clutch... With only 2qts of oil to cool it doing back to back runs, I can feel it going away after the 2nd run...
I should be ok, as long as I don't run her back to back, and allow 30 mins cool down time or so. Most of the time, I can launch from 1st and still win any way. Then again no one is really running at 80 hp there, when I am there.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts