Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM THINKING ABOUT TRADING MY RAPTOR 700 IN FOR A DS 650 BAJA X DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW THEY COMPARE TO THE RAPTOR . AND ARE THEY FASTER THEN THE RAPTORS ....

·
Registered
287 Posts
just curious...what don't you like about your 700????? :3question:

·
Registered
767 Posts
Outdated, heavy, huge, no reverse, no EFI, what's to compare?? :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had an 05 DS650 with the basic mods. It was a nice quad, where they really outshine everyone else is in ride quality. When other folks couldn't stand to be out on the tore up dunes I could be out riding all day.

But....

Unless you're primarily concerned about ride quality and/or you are a very large individual the Raptor is by far the better choice for a laundry list of reasons.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The DS is uglier then a sack of butt holes. :lol:

·
Registered
679 Posts
dude stick with the 700r. i have a 660 keep in mind, but i still would keep the 700r. the ds 650 is a way bulkier quad and some other stuff (said so in dirt wheels a while ago). but all in all stay with raptor, that is one of or the best quad on the market right now. so i say keep it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ive ridden one of those pigs, and they are SLOW with a capital S cuz they are so damn heavy. The only thing I did like was the suspension. It was tuned fairly decent.

What area does your 700 not satisfy you in?

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
In stock form the DS is comprable in performance to a 660, and even at a bid of a disadvantage. They don't respond nearly as well to exhaust and intake changes as the 660 and 700 and are very expensive to modify after that point. The up side is that they can be made to make more power than the 660 and 700, but the 700 is still in early development stages and should soon surpass the ds.

For the hit you're likely to take in selling the 700 and buying a ds you could probably at least begin to pay for an aftermarket suspension setup for the 700 that would put a stock ds to shame in the ride dept.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Maddog56 said:
In stock form the DS is comprable in performance to a 660, and even at a bid of a disadvantage. They don't respond nearly as well to exhaust and intake changes as the 660 and 700 and are very expensive to modify after that point. The up side is that they can be made to make more power than the 660 and 700, but the 700 is still in early development stages and should soon surpass the ds.

For the hit you're likely to take in selling the 700 and buying a ds you could probably at least begin to pay for an aftermarket suspension setup for the 700 that would put a stock ds to shame in the ride dept.

all the big drag events, rocket is blowing ds's away! Even in the power adders catagory! That was with there 770...just engine!
I think the 700 has already passed the DS in build potential...and its didnt take too long!

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
The number of events and the variety of participants that have been in the races you refer to aren't numerous or broad enough yet to let me call the 700 king, and there's still a few 300' runs that need to be met and beaten.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Maddog56 said:
The number of events and the variety of participants that have been in the races you refer to aren't numerous or broad enough yet to let me call the 700 king, and there's still a few 300' runs that need to be met and beaten.
Oh, I wasnt saying it was king or anything...I was just saying that the 700 with its short exsistance is indeed out there beating the piss out of highly modded ds's at organized drag racing events. Its taking turbos or alky to stand a chance against rockets 770 and now 804.....
All I got to say is if there are fast ds's out there, or faster 4-strokes in general that are in the same class that the 770 has been racing in...they have yet to show there face.
I distinctly remember them saying something about a ds that was in the power adders class that got beat by there 770 that was all motor.

At the end of the day, I think the "king" of the drags will be the shee! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Those who pay attention to the 4 stroke world typically understand the existence and unrivaled superiority of 2 strokes and therefore ignore them when comments are made about "fastest" and "quickest" and include only 4 strokes in comparison. I imagine you understood that though, so I'll reiterate for clarity for others.

I've seen yfzs and trxs beat out of very well built 660's, ds', and the like but I know that the ones they beat aren't the best. I have no doubt that RF is tearing up the track, I just don't believe that their machines or any other 700 has been exposed to enough competition yet to claim all out victory over the DS. The day will come and it's well on it's way but IMO it has not happened yet.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Maddog56 said:
Those who pay attention to the 4 stroke world typically understand the existence and unrivaled superiority of 2 strokes and therefore ignore them when comments are made about "fastest" and "quickest" and include only 4 strokes in comparison. I imagine you understood that though, so I'll reiterate for clarity for others.

I've seen yfzs and trxs beat out of very well built 660's, ds', and the like but I know that the ones they beat aren't the best. I have no doubt that RF is tearing up the track, I just don't believe that their machines or any other 700 has been exposed to enough competition yet to claim all out victory over the DS. The day will come and it's well on it's way but IMO it has not happened yet.
Ok fair enough....just weird that you dont see any of these fast ds's beating up the 700 at these big time drag events. THere have been several threw out the year. RF keeps kickin ass and takin names!
Who knows who has the best unless they get out and race what they have, and get some exposure. At this point, especially with the limited time the 700 has been out, It would be safe to say that its most likely the fastest 4-stroke out there or is very shortly going to be.....just by going off what happened this past year! Is there something that "could" be faster...yeah...always the possibility, but unless they get out there and race it at one of these events WHO KNOWS!

....I know we were just talking about 4-strokes Mike....I was just saying that when it comes down to it the "king" of drags, as you said, it will probably always be the shee IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
First off ive raced harescrambles for years and im now running a 700. Ive raced a DS on the street with my pipe and controller on and it was a decent race but I climbed a few hills with the DS and it had no bottem end whatsoever, which is sad on a 650. Im sure the ds has its benefites but if you ride in the woods they are junk!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
This is a bit off topic from the question that the poster asked but I have to address something that Boom 135 said.

The Rocket Factory 770 at dunefest was not even in the same class as the HPR DS 730 that was running consistently in the 4.19 to 4.17 range and beat all comers in the headsup class except packards triple on a re run after packard red lit. (BS deal IMHO) The only reason the RF won the single cylinder class is because of the re run that HPR gave to packard. The had the single cylinder 4 cycle class covered and in the final had to forfit after the rerun in the other class due to a no start issue.
The win was a gift givin to Rocket Factory and they said as much and showed great sportmanship but they were not the fastest bike there.

SandBomber and the HPR powered OEM chasis DS piloted by Randall is the reigning 4SW KOTH so even though I am a 700R owner I will be the first to admit the 700R's have a long way to go before they are ready to run head to head with an HPR DS that is putting out 96 RWHP on the Motor and 150 on the juice. They just set another official record at the Albany 300' drags of 4.06 with a stock bore on N20.

Right now the best we can get out of the 700R is 80 RWHP and without a billit Crank there no way we can put a big enough shot in it to hold up at 100 RWHP and then were still 50 short. So if you want to talk about all out drag bikes and not play bikes you need to broaden your horizons and see whats going on out there.
Kenz, and top secret racing have the fastest 660 based raptors in the country right now that I am aware of that are running some 4.20's and may have something for the DS at FSW VI but that remains to be seen. There are also some low 4 big bore YFZ's out there as well that are always a threat. We'll see what the builders bring in the way of 700R's and see how they compare in the coming year but for right now in the Hillshoot and flat drag world the DS is king .

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
thats very interesting Randy. I was just basing what I said off what they (RF) keep putting on there web site. They at one time had on there they had beat this crazy DS that was turbo'd or had some power adder done to it, and the 770 still won. Didnt mean to pass bad info...you know I wouldnt do that! I was just passing info that I saw.
I am also suprised to hear that there are 450's out there capable of those times. They must be in a "power adders class" or something. I have never heard of an all motor 450 capable of those times.
From what I kept hearing from multipul builders is that there extremely modified 660's were being beat up by not nearly as modded 700's...or atleast they ran close. When they where "equally" built the 700 based machine was walking.

I am going to shut up now as, as you know I DONT dune and I DONT drag. I was just going off what I have heard...not what I have seen. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Boom, no worries just wanted to set the record straight. Yes the YFZ'z that run those times are in drag chassis and are power adders as well as the bad assed fast 660R based Raptors. The 700R will get there it's just not there yet.
There are some serious 700R's in the process of being built around the country as I write this so you might just see someone put one of these bad boys in a drag chassis and run some killer times in the near future :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
RaptorRandy27 said:
Boom, no worries just wanted to set the record straight. Yes the YFZ'z that run those times are in drag chassis and are power adders as well as the bad assed fast 660R based Raptors. The 700R will get there it's just not there yet.
There are some serious 700R's in the process of being built around the country as I write this so you might just see someone put one of these bad boys in a drag chassis and run some killer times in the near future :thumbsup:

Only a matter of time! I think the new FI stuff might be slowing the process down a little too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.