Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some back ground on me. Been riding utility quads for quite a long time. Have some minor riding experience on sports quads but never owned one. I'd still call myself a novice sport rider.

Now I'm hoping to change that or at least give it a try. I just recently sold my vinson 500 footshift to my buddy and I think i'm gonna replace it with one of the 3 I listed.

Now the riding I do is entirely trails. Everywhere from wide open grass fields, to sandy/gravely drainage ditch around my house, and quite a bit of wooded trails with slick mud/clay

Now my question isn't if these will work, because I know they will. My buddy uses a 400ex on the same stuff with no problems.

My question is which will be better. I figure at most i'm gonna do intake/exhaust/tune on the raptor and then the same with the z400 except also probably resprocket.

I'm 5'11 and 250lbs.

Is the 400 with said mods gonna be comprable to the raptor?

Price is moot except the older carbed z400. Its cheaper than the efi 400 and raptor which are the same price roughly

Which will be less maintenance/longer lasting? How is the high reving 400 vs the torquey 700?

Are there problems on the raptors I should know about and watch for? I know the 04 and older z400s had frame issues. Anything such as this with the raptors too?

And there will be ZERO jumping done this quad

I've posted the same question on a suzuki forum so just trying to see what both forums say about their respective quads (though hands down the raptor is the better looking quad. No convincing needed there haha)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mod for mod the raptor is king for sure. If you can get the raptor for the same price as the 400 definitely get the raptor. If you were talking about a 450 it would be a little different but the 400 is no comparison to the raptor in my opinion.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 400EX doesn't even come close to the Raptor. I have both 400EX and the Raptor 700. Power delivery and suspension are far better than the 400EX. The Z400 I can't say I only know by riding around with a guy who has one. They can be quick on tight trails with a good rider but for all around everything the Raptor can't be beat. There is so much potential with a Raptor you can mod them for any specialty or all a round kick ass drag/trail bike. Talk to Spider and Ant here on the form I know those two have awesome drag/trail bikes. Let us know what you end up with and what you think about it.
P.S. The guy with the Z400 says his next quad is going to be a Raptor 700.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
I have both, 700 raptor. & Z400. also have YFZ 450R. The Z400 is not like a 450 where you need to keep the rpm's up. I still have some of my funnest rides on my Z 400. My raptor now weights less then my 400, But the 400 is still easier to flick around for some reason. Both are great Quads, But if I had to pick one for a all around Quad it would be the raptor. Its just so comfortable to ride all day long, day after day. Great power, And easier to adjust valves on to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
749 Posts
my brother had a z400 (carb) before he got his 450. when my 700 had the junk 2ply stock tires, i rode his z400 for the day because my one tire wouldn't hold air.

they are not even comparable! my 700 is so much more fun to ride. he doesn't even own the 400 anymore if that says anything. other than the 400's handling was good....that was about it! all day i wanted my raptor back. def not dissing the z400, because they are nice but in a straight up 700 vs z400 choice it's a no brainer for me.

i'm sure you posted on the other forums and you'll get the response "raptors are heavy" and that's about all they have to say....which they aren't. they were designed for the trails and that's where they excel. i ride in all of the areas that you described

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well actually on the other forum I got that raptors are heavy, slow, don't turn or handle well, don't respond to mods, run horrible, are always breaking down

Oh that and you can't get traction

·
Registered
749 Posts
LOL OMG that's hilarious. if they think raptors are slow what the hell are they doing on Z's?! look up four stroke association for the four stroke wars......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it was mostly I rode once, or the group I was in had a few who rode them, or I saw at the dunes.

The one guy who had owner experience actually said either was a great quad, and for the trail use I intended it was a toss up. Only way he would take and prefer a z was for mx racing

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
Well actually on the other forum I got that raptors are heavy, slow, don't turn or handle well, don't respond to mods, run horrible, are always breaking down

A full tilt Z400 will make around 55hp, and I think are only about 12lbs heavier than a 700. Shit I drink 12lbs in a weekend. You don't even need to break into the engine on a Raptor to break 55hp, and the torque isn't comparable...

·
8SEVENTY3
1,336 Posts

Oh wow...i needed a good laugh like that. I have ridden a suzuki, yfz, and raptor. And mod for mod nothing compares to a raptor. How many 90hp+ 400's are there? Just to address the whole "700's dont respond well to mods" garbage. And by the way theres plenty of 90hp+ raptor. And still a pretty good amount of 100hp+ raptors. Especially once you go nitrous or turbo, 140hp+ is reachable once you go that route.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From an owner of an 06 z with rev box, pro flow lid, yoshi stage 3 I would say the only and I mean only advantage the z has is the slightly lower cog than my 02 rappy with hmf slip on. The raptor has soooooo much more power that I find myself blowing corners simply because it is so much fun wheelying down the straights!!! But I am just a e-stud with a new found love!

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
From an owner of an 06 z with rev box, pro flow lid, yoshi stage 3 I would say the only and I mean only advantage the z has is the slightly lower cog than my 02 rappy with hmf slip on. The raptor has soooooo much more power that I find myself blowing corners simply because it is so much fun wheelying down the straights!!! But I am just a e-stud with a new found love!
And that's comming from a guy with a 660! I had my 660 and 700 side by side... as far as suspension, turning, brakeing, and balancing goes the 700 is leaps and bounds above a stock 660.... bro

·
Registered
361 Posts
the 700 is by far a better bike in my opinion. I got a pretty mild build and am making 64 hp. and still running stck suspension. The greatest thing about these bikes to me is their comfort. Im 6'1" and the bike is perfect. everything is just right as far as fit. Ive been on 6+ hour rides of steady riding from 30mph to70+ mph. and when we stop i am still sitting on the quad bc it is so comfy. i ride with a couple guys that have the 700s with out piggy back shocks and it is deffinetly worth the money for the better shocks though.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
03 z400 had frame issues, not the 04s that I know of. There are some other issues in 05, and some upgrades in there too. I wouldn't buy a z400 older than 06.

No reliability problems with the Raptor 700, any year.

Not surprisingly the guys here thought the 700 was a better choice, so they bought one. The z400 forum members probably thought theirs was better. Differing opinions are fine, just so long as they are based on fact.

The 700 is heavier and IMO isn't as nimble nor handles as well as a newer stock Z400. Those parts I can agree with. However I don't agree that the 700 doesn't "handle well" at all, just not as well as the Z400. Handling however is very, very subjective and opinions can and will vary wildly on the same subject matter. Everyone is different, and as you're a bigger guy I believe you'd be much more comfortable on the 700R than the Z400.

The facts take issue with the other comments you received from the Z400 owners. A full exhaust and intake will make about twice as much power on a 700R than it will on a Z400, if not more. As PW stated, the ceiling on the Z400 is much lower and if you're talking dollars spent on hp made ($/HP) the 700R will come out on top by a large margin from bolt on through drag motor.

I'm not sure what "run horrible" refers to, but I'll throw it in with "always breaking down". The first few production runs of the 06 Raptor 700R had an issue with the fuel pump that a few people experienced. They recalled it, issued a TSB, and fixed the problem at the factory. Subsequent 06 and newer 700Rs have been just about bulletproof. Lots of 06 models still running great with the stock internals.

The traction one I think is kind of funny. The 700R motor makes a good chunk of torque, and when you combine that torque with the same type of 20" radial stock tire the z400 gets and you line them up next to each other and dump the clutches at redline the 700R will of course spin more....it's making more torque and therefore the same type of tire has more force applied to it. Because of this extra power, even if there is more spinning, the 700R will get out of the hole faster and stock for stock will beat the Z400 in just about any distance or terrain of drag race you want to throw at them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
i used to own a z400. its was way better than the 400ex i had before it. it was a fun bike. but my 700 blows it away. For just trail riding a z400 would be fine. But if you get the itch to go faster you will sell it and then buy the raptor. So just start off with the 700 :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts