Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here but I’ve spent countless hours reading through post researching this project. I just want to thank everyone that contributes to this forum. Your time and input has been appreciated.

I grew up riding ATV’s in the woods but switched to MX for several years because the tracks were closer than the trails. My ride was a modified Honda 400EX, not the most powerful quad out there at the time but it did the trick. In ’04 I had the chance to ride the Hatfield McCoy trails on a rented utility quad and couldn’t get enough. So, I purchased a ’06 Suzuki 700 King Quad and have been having a blast ever since. Well, until a couple of years ago when I re-connected with some old friends on XC bikes. Armed with my MX experience, I knew that I could keep up but the KQ just wasn’t up to the task even with the engine/clutch modifications and upgraded suspension. What I needed was a sport quad again but I had particular features in mind that no one was offering. The Yamaha Raptor 700R possessed the highly tunable suspension, power and EFI but lacked the plush ride and ground clearance of my IRS equipped KQ. I looked at the Polaris Outlaw but the lack of EFI and questionable build quality turned me off. Honda’s 700XX looked like it might fit the bill but it’s less than svelte heft and tendency to push in tight corners made me think twice. What’s a guy to do? After some serious investigation, it looked like the rear setup from a Polaris Outlaw could be fitted to a Yamaha Raptor, giving me the best of both worlds. The following documents the transformation.

I started with a 2007 Raptor 700R SE.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First, the rear suspension was removed and the brake caliper set aside. I was hoping to be able to fabricate a bracket so that it could be re-used.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the rear section of an Outlaw from a salvage shop on Ebay.com (partsnewandused). Here is what the sub-assembly looks like. The major contributor to weight here is the axle housing. It is definitely hefty. I wanted to keep the Raptor’s rear sub-frame so some modifications were needed to the Outlaw frame. First, I had to cut away the frame at the lower mount and remove the forward tubes. I added in gusseting as needed to maintain the structure. Fortunately, the swing-arm mount on the Raptor and the mating mounts on the Outlaw frame are nearly identical. I just had to lengthen the Outlaw frame at the lower mount by 2 inches to get to the stock Raptor wheel base. I also fabricated mounts to attach the sub-frame at the upper shock mount and sub-frame on the Raptor.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To maintain proper chain alignment, I had to space the rear sprocket out by 1 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed an HMF QRS slip-on for an Outlaw 500. There just wasn’t room to route the Raptor muffler around the sway-bar system. I had to cut down the HMF pipe and use a section from the stock Raptor unit to make the connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wanted to keep the Raptor rear caliper but it was just too large to fit into the Outlaw frame. So, I installed an Outlaw caliper. I just don’t have a convenient parking brake anymore.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The airbox had to be gutted to fit around the exhaust and under the seat. I installed a ProFlow intake and Uni filter. It is a tight fit but works. What it lacks in waterproofness (it really only has some splash protection), it makes up for in breathability.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to squeeze the electrical modules into the rear of the sub-frame. The PC III has a comfy home there as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have also installed the following upgrades. Pro Armor kill switch, Moose linear steering stabilizer, PowerMadd hand guards, Spyder A3 grips, ASV F3 Shorty levers, DID X-Ring chain, DRD reverse lever kit, Power Commander III and Kenda Kutter tires mounted on Douglas bead lock wheels in front and Polaris Outlaw 525 wheels in back.

In the end, the project turned out pretty well. I have around 200 miles of trail riding on it now and can say that I am please with how it handles. The ride is fairly plush but retains that sporty feel you’d expect from a Raptor. The quad slides well with a little application of throttle and stays planted in the corners. The biggest advantage is the extra ground clearance over a straight axle setup. I have been over some killer rocks and through rather deep mud that had a stock Raptor calling for a tow and it just keep begging for more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Nice write up. Good work! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
You sir are a bad ass.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hats off to ya! Way to take the bull by the horns and just build what you need. You should send this write up and pics to Yamaha. Have you weighed the quad now that its complete?
I would be interested in knowing how it compares to the 700xx.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Wow, very nice work. I'd be interested in seeing it in action. A GoPro chase video would be pretty cool to tie everything together, but the pics look pretty cool.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is really cool, awesome job on it. There was a company that was building an IRS kit for the raptor, if I remember correctly it was around $3500 or so, pretty hefty price tag.

·
Pity is freely given, Jealousy is earned
264 Posts
Wow, you got some fabrication skills!

How dose it handle with the new IRS ?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts