Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ported the head saturday, heres the final product before machine work :) taken by cell phone so its not the best picture quality lol. I will take better ones and post up tomorrow:

·
Registered
517 Posts
How many hours did you spend? Any before and after pic's?

Did you actually have much porting to do or just maily reshaping and polishing. Would you say the exhaust or the intake needed the most work??

Looks good!

·
Registered
517 Posts
What machine work are you having done (besides surfacing)?

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The exhaust needs the most work, mainly the bowl area and short turn. The intake side needs some bowl work and some minor reshaping throughout the rest of the port. I didnt take any pix of the stock head so cant really compare- nothing is stock anymore shape and looks wise, not even the combustion chamber. Im gonna mill the head and recut the seats with a better seat shape. I started porting at 10am saturday and finishe about 4:30pm that evening taking my time, took about an hour lunch break in there somewere too. Ive been doin this for a long time so its pretty quick turnaround for me.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Looks sweet man!!

How much of a performance improvement do you expect? Also, are you planning on camming the engine out?

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, if Im 44rwhp before the teardown then I expect with the porting and compression Im shootin for 52. Im gonna chassis dyno tune it when its back together so Ill post up the results. Im not going to cam it, will later and try a few on the dyno for R&D.

·
Registered
163 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
Well, if Im 44rwhp before the teardown then I expect with the porting and compression Im shootin for 52. Im gonna chassis dyno tune it when its back together so Ill post up the results. Im not going to cam it, will later and try a few on the dyno for R&D.
good luck.. lookin sweet so far.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
All that work you did to the head. What kind of performance gains are you looking at. Just wondering... Im not the most inclinde in this area. One more question. how much would it cost to port and polish my raptor? thanks WOODY

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im thinkin about talkin to Dracus about sponsorship so right now I will just say it will be alot cheaper than the "big shops" that do it. Im an old school porter, I dont have a flow bench but have used one some at Patriot Performance here and there on LSX style heads. The "big shops" that do this stuff may get a little more flow here and there because of having a bench but its not noticeable on the trails/dunes against em and thats were 98% of these things are at- and everyone knows that 98% of the time the better rider wins anyway. Mine is the first I ported and its the guinea pig ;)

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Rocket factory is doing my head work. I get a little "whoosy" everytime I think about how much I am spending on there wild porting........$600!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Please keep us informed on how the valve stem wears with the guide cut down. I have some cut down but only for drag machines because of the low hours between rebuilds

·
Premium Member
6,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The intakes arent really cut down that much, maybe .125-.175". But now the exhaust is another story- however the amount of guide is still enough for a daily ride, especially since these things are fuel injected and do a better job of keeping things in line compared to a carbed machine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice pics man, looks good. I was wondering if anyone had any before and after pictures. I've never really seen what the raptor looks like before port and polish...maybee some of you guys over @ Rocket Factory could post some before and after pictures for those of us who dont know a whole lot about it but are definately interested in your work...

·
Registered
126 Posts
First off, good on ya for experimenting! We can all learn from your experiences.

I would be even more concerned about keeping the exhaust valve cool enough with the radically shortened guides. Are you going to be running stock valves? Have you done anything this radical on other machines, and have there been any overheated valve problems?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts