Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Raptor 700, and my friend is now putting an Athena 480 kit in his yfz 450. He has no other modifications to his bike and my bike is also stock. I could beat him by 3 to four bikes before he did his work. My question is now how much will he get me by or will i still win?

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it would be close. It might come down to whois the better rider, than who has the faster bike with your case. I've heard of people putting on a 15t front sprocket on their stock raptors and noticed an increase in power to the ground...(I havn't tried it myself w/ stock) ..but its a cheap enough mod to get him off the line. (of course, being infact you can find a 15t....took me about 2 months, ha!)....but I usually have bad luck :lol:

Soo..gl :thumbsup:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Im not familiar with this kit. Id venture to say unless its a stroker or a long rod with cams and porting its not gonna make that much difference.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The athena kit is a bolt on cylinder bored for a 98mm piston.

Edited for clarity. ;)

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Deja_Entendu700 said:
I think it would be close. It might come down to whois the better rider, than who has the faster bike with your case. I've heard of people putting on a 15t front sprocket on their stock raptors and noticed an increase in power to the ground...(I havn't tried it myself w/ stock) ..but its a cheap enough mod to get him off the line. (of course, being infact you can find a 15t....took me about 2 months, ha!)....but I usually have bad luck :lol:

Soo..gl :thumbsup:
Try this.....Found it while searching..... 8)

http://www.goldenwestcycle.com/productinfo.asp?item=110&deptcode1=528

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies so far. There is no difference in our driving skills so i guess it all depends on just how fast his 480 is. And for the guy who said the Athena kit is a 98mm bore bolt on kit. I dont know where u got that from but his 450 is now going to be an yfz478. sooooo.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
silent1985 said:
Thanks for your replies so far. There is no difference in our driving skills so i guess it all depends on just how fast his 480 is. And for the guy who said the Athena kit is a 98mm bore bolt on kit. I dont know where u got that from but his 450 is now going to be an yfz478. sooooo.....
His displacement will be 478 not his bore size

·
Registered
912 Posts
Once you do the 3mods to your 700, the race should come down to the rider. I'm running dead even with a built yfz450. He has over two grand just in his motor and all I got is a pipe, controller, filter and 15t. I rode his 450 and it feels like it flies but my raptor runs right beside it. I let him ride the 700 and he came back smiling saying it feels like you're floating.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think the yfz would beat the rappy.....

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think if your stock you are going to get beat. I think if you mod up to just the 3-mods you can pull him.

Maybe raptor700ryder, or Jamie Mace will see this. He had a big bore yfz all done up, and he feels his 700 is a lot faster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ive done the same mod to my WR 450F and it made it a little bit torque in the mid range but thats about it.It doesnt feel any faster.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think the YFZ would be quicker off the line but the longer the race the better the odds of the Raptor catching up.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
sweetquads said:
I think the YFZ would be quicker off the line but the longer the race the better the odds of the Raptor catching up.
Yeah, I could see that happening.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Depending what year the YFZ is the Athena kit could be a 468cc bike instead of 480.. Athena failed to realize that the o4 and 05 bikes were 10cc's less than the 06 bikes and call there kits a 480. I have a Athena / WR crank / Cam mod / -6 flywheel and I have no troubles getting first place at the local drags. (I've never dragged a 700) However, I wasted a few raptors.. It's sorta not fair because I know how to ride the clutch to my advantage to lanch hard without spinning to much and keeping the front end down since all I like doing is hill climbing and you just learn that technique over time.

If he has a 06 yfz with the athena kit its going to be right at 478cc's and its going to be a beast man if he launches right. My motor package allows me to take off in third gear without lugging out. I'm sure its going to be a close run. But if you beat him by 3 bikes before I don't think the athena kit is going to help him to beat you. I think your just a better rider.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
silent1985 said:
I just got a Raptor 700, and my friend is now putting an Athena 480 kit in his yfz 450. He has no other modifications to his bike and my bike is also stock. I could beat him by 3 to four bikes before he did his work. My question is now how much will he get me by or will i still win?

Thanks

Hey man. Do the 3 mods and you'll be fine. You guys will probably be close out of the hole and your 700 will start pulling about 3rd.
Are you saying though that its ONLY the 480....no other parts. No pipe, intake, high comp, PP, Cam or cammod?
If so then I think that, that kit isnt going to do a whole lot to a stock machine. You have to have other parts to complement it.
If your really concerned, dont be. You can do minimal motor mods and have waaaaay more hp and tq than he has.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My riding partner is putting the athena 480 kit in his 05 yfz, so I guess its more of a 470 kit...haha. His quad currently has a full exhaust, intake w/o lid, jetting with YZ needle, gytr rev box and cammod. SO, it should be interesting racing him with my current setup. May be close. Not sure if the athena come high comp or not.....

He has a bit to make up for right now though, my 700 is walking his yfz. Starts in 2nd and by third gear the 700 is pulling..by fourth its a straight killing. NOW it could be interesting....cant wait to see and ride it. I never changed the bore on my yfz, so I will be curious how it feels compared to how my quad was with a stock bore all done up with high comp, cams, and such.
Probably be better for the type of riding we do (woods).

·
Registered
172 Posts
I dont have any experience with the Athena kits but i did have a MaxPower set-up in my YFZ. It was a 98 mm bore. SO the Athena should have been making roughly the same power as the maxpower. I know for a fact that the YFZ if it doesn't have a pipe, intake, or any other parts besides the bore. He is not going to notice hardly any difference and all. The main thing he is gonna notice is, his bike will become over heated much easier. But when he puts a pipe on the YFZ if you still stock then you might as well give up because theres no way a stock raptor will take the YFZ with the bore and pipe. But on the other hand you put the 3 mods on yours and you wont have to worry about him anymore. Even with the bore. Because my old YFZ had White brothers pipe, +1000 CDI, Cammod, K&N intake, and with the 480 big bore i had 13.1-1 compression. Even with all those mods on the YFZ my Raptor with the 3 mods is faster than the YFZ. The main thing you will see out of the bigger bore on the YFZ is you will have a little more bottom and mid range power and in really long races you will notice you have a couple for mph on your top speed. I hope this helps you and boom out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The reason i know for a fact that my raptor is faster is because a friend of mine bought my old YFZ and we all went riding with some friends. And the Raptor would continuosly beet the YFZ. The longer the race the more lengths i would put on him. We were extremely close coming out the hole up to 3rd gear then it was over after that. We even switched bikes and let our other friends race with them and the Raptor always came out on top. The YFZ will feel like a rocket when your on it because of the light weight and high, quick revving motor. But in reality it isn't acelerating as fast as the Raptor which feels Slower because of its some what heavier feel and more comfy ride and slower revving motor.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts