Raptor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah and still not able to get ahold of AZ Quads who sells the custom kit. I ended up putting it together as-is and she started right up. The added displacement and compression sure gave it some more grunt down low.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
CP didn't want to offer much more info than .028" could be okay. I asked them some further questions but they advised to ask AZ Quads instead. We'll see how it breaks in during the upcoming season. I assume I'll notice excessive blow by out of the crankcase vent as one symptom of excessive gap?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I always thought CP supplied the rings with the piston when ordered. So it would be CP to make it right. UNLESS, the seller already gapped the rings and took to much off.
They do, but not always packaged with the pistons. Sometimes it’s bulk packaging with pistons seperate from rings. Seller may have grabbed wrong rings. This is still all assuming the kit was all done properly, which maybe it was.

In this specific application maybe it requires larger gap than cp general guidelines, which is what the op went off of. That is very plausible and actually likely from what I’ve learned the past couple years.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,603 Posts
They do, but not always packaged with the pistons. Sometimes it’s bulk packaging with pistons seperate from rings. Seller may have grabbed wrong rings. This is still all assuming the kit was all done properly, which maybe it was.

In this specific application maybe it requires larger gap than cp general guidelines, which is what the op went off of. That is very plausible and actually likely from what I’ve learned the past couple years.
Yep, you have a good teacher. I just thought CP would have been more helpful.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
So
I always thought CP supplied the rings with the piston when ordered. So it would be CP to make it right. UNLESS, the seller already gapped the rings and took to much off.
Sometimes they are packaged in bulk, with the pistons and rings seperate instead of in single retail kits. That would require whoever is doing the kits to put the correct rings and pistons together.
Also it’s entirely possible that the ring gap needs to be bigger in that application than what cp general guidelines state. These are reasons why youde need to talk to whoever designed the kit.
I say that because that’s exactly what I dealt with last year.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Didn’t realize that posted first time I typed it out. Cp isn’t the greatest to deal with sometimes. For example they repeatedly produce batches of wrist pints that arrive with small nicks and scratches in them. When the issue is brought to their attention, they promptly send out more bad pins. So on and so forth without addressing the issue.
So it could still absolutely be CPs fault, entirely.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got to check everything twice. A few years back I bought a BB kit for a 250R dirt bike and it came with a standard size head gasket. The seller said it would be fine to run it. I sent it back as fast as I could. Your ring package should have a part# on it, did you look it up to make sure it was not for a 105.5 piston?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah. A 105.5 would have a much larger gap since circumference
(Gap) = pi x diameter which mean it would be +.120". I did give CP all the part numbers to cross reference as well. It wasn't until then that they figured out it was a private custom kit and sropped helping. I was hoping for a bit more support from them but I'll keep trying to get ahold of AZ Quads who sold me the kit. Funny how they replied instantly to every email and phone call up until the purchase and now nothing!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Aw man that’s such a bummer to hear.
Have you tried doing a compression check on her yet while hot? I wonder if that would give you a good idea of how the gap is working out.

T web, how come you needed a gap outside of spec on the diamond piston, and how would you know if you needed to over gap one again?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I run thin rings in my race car and they do not require wide clearance. For my car most of the rings butt up out of the package, they have no clearance. On bikes and quads the ring packages I have used come too tight, but have some clearance, all have required some material removal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I do have a compression tester but didnt do a test since the auto decompression mechanism will skew the results. Although if i had taken a baseline with the 11:1 setup, i would have had something to compare to. As far as ring thickness and gap, the top ring on the CP 11:1 102mm piston has the same 1.0mm thickness as the ring on the 12.5 106.5mm setup yet it came new at .012" and had to be opened up. Unless they mean width as the 106.5mm top ring is skinnier. I tried to ask CP this but thats when they shut down any further discussion.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thinner material gets hot faster, which means it could expand more.
They build pistons to suppliers specs. Whoever is putting the kit together is who should be responsible to ensure the parts work together.
Cylinder could be too big or not round. Supplier could’ve spec’d wrong size piston for correct wall clearance. Supplier could’ve sent wrong rings with piston. Too many variables to jump on CP for doing anything wrong.
Yes, thinner gets hotter faster, as there is less material.
But you are insinuating that less material grows larger under the same temperature.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Metal also will only expand to a point at a given temperature.
So, a ring gap spec is designed to close up(or close to it) at operating temperature.
A wider gap isn't going to continue to grow until it closes and meets resistance, and shrink the ring's thickness to compensate for it.
And, in theory, if there was any measurable difference in the temperature across the entire ring(s) surface in a running engine, the coolest point would be the gap.
As the gap is not exposed to friction(other than it's outer edge), and it would be the point where heat could "escape".

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Aw man that’s such a bummer to hear.
Have you tried doing a compression check on her yet while hot? I wonder if that would give you a good idea of how the gap is working out.

T web, how come you needed a gap outside of spec on the diamond piston, and how would you know if you needed to over gap one again?
It’s a custom application with not very many in use, so it was a learning curve. The material used grew more than expected, went to zero gap and scored the cylinder. Rebuilt top end only change being larger gap, looked perfect when I pulled head off this time.
The experienced person selling the custom parts is who would know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Motorman
I do have a compression tester but didnt do a test since the auto decompression mechanism will skew the results. Although if i had taken a baseline with the 11:1 setup, i would have had something to compare to. As far as ring thickness and gap, the top ring on the CP 11:1 102mm piston has the same 1.0mm thickness as the ring on the 12.5 106.5mm setup yet it came new at .012" and had to be opened up. Unless they mean width as the 106.5mm top ring is skinnier. I tried to ask CP this but thats when they shut down any further discussion.

Motorman455 can you give me an update on the 745 bb. I'm looking to buy a 734 bb kit but ran across the 745. Is the 745 kit reliable

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I just got the kit and have only ridden back and forth down my road for a few 100 yards so i can't comment on durability. I did end up getting ahold of AZ Quads by calling several times and inquired about the 0.028" ring end gap on mine. As expected, they had no idea what worked but did go measure other kits they had in stock. They said those all measured around 0.018" so i guess im just unlucky. They were contacting CP to see about sending me another set of rings but never heard back from them. No surprise.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts