Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the 80 is good for a boy 8 going on 9...skinny as hell. He's only rode the younger son's PW50 and he is way too big for that thing. Is the 80 something that a kid won't get bored with after a coupla rides? Any recommendations welcome...not stuck on any brand at this point, just looking for feedback.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would not buy the Yamaha 80. For the price you can do much better. The suspension on the Raptor 50/80 is an absolute joke. Or I should say lack of suspension. It has something like 2" of suspension and there is no way a 50 to 70 lb child could even begin to compress it. Before I bought my 9 year old boy his new quad I would follow him watching him get his a$$ handed to him by the whoops and bumps from the non-existent suspension. It is a 4 stroke, which is good and bad. But on a 80 cc bike it mostly just makes it really underpowered.

After looking at a lot of minis and moving the Raptor to the younger daughter we bought the just turned 9 year old a 2006 Polaris Predator 90. This thing is really quick and the suspension is awesome on it. For 2007 Polaris went away from the 2 stroke predator to a 4 stroke Outlaw. They do have a pink 2007 Predator 90 though. My 7-year old wants that one BAD. I highly suggest going to a dealer and getting the 2 stroke. You can get an awesome price on a 2006 closeout now though. Once it starts to be "too slow" for him there are a ton of aftermarket parts for the Predator 90 to hop it up.

First week he had it.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
My daughter rides a LT50 thats been warmed up pretty good(piston, compression, porting...) so I wouldnt think twice about it. Hell, I was riding a 200cc at 9.

·
Registered
579 Posts
PaleRider said:
I would not buy the Yamaha 80. For the price you can do much better. The suspension on the Raptor 50/80 is an absolute joke. Or I should say lack of suspension. It has something like 2" of suspension and there is no way a 50 to 70 lb child could even begin to compress it. Before I bought my 9 year old boy his new quad I would follow him watching him get his a$$ handed to him by the whoops and bumps from the non-existent suspension. It is a 4 stroke, which is good and bad. But on a 80 cc bike it mostly just makes it really underpowered.

After looking at a lot of minis and moving the Raptor to the younger daughter we bought the just turned 9 year old a 2006 Polaris Predator 90. This thing is really quick and the suspension is awesome on it. For 2007 Polaris went away from the 2 stroke predator to a 4 stroke Outlaw. They do have a pink 2007 Predator 90 though. My 7-year old wants that one BAD. I highly suggest going to a dealer and getting the 2 stroke. You can get an awesome price on a 2006 closeout now though. Once it starts to be "too slow" for him there are a ton of aftermarket parts for the Predator 90 to hop it up.

First week he had it.

My daughter has the pink predator 90 and it kicks a$$. She is the envy of the other girls when we are out riding. They are hard to come by since they are "limited editions" (left over 06 with new plastic). It came with a nice matching pink helmet also, nice touch Polaris. A couple of nice things about the predator 90 is they run 18 & 19 inch tires on 8 inch wheels, so getting good quality new tires and wheels is not a problem not to mention they do have about twice the suspension travel of other quads in it size.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Heres a blurry pic of her on the Predator 90.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Awesome pic :thumbsup:

She looks great on there. Cannot let my daughter see this pic though.

How does the lil 90 do with the gliders on there? Does it have enough oommmph to break them loose?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
uh, trying to stir the pot???

this is a good thread....don't jack it!

my daughter (3) loves the pink polaris.....i can't wait to get her on one...

how's that really do in the dunes?

rapzilla said:
Raptor 80 rocks and the polaris 2 stroke is wack! All 2 strokers are. Evryone knows that.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ohio Raptor Rider said:
my daughter (3) loves the pink polaris.....i can't wait to get her on one...

how's that really do in the dunes?
Well this thread is 1.5 years old and a lot has changed since then. The Predator 90 is still going strong and gets raced by my boy in 30 minute CC races and knock on wood it is holding together pretty well.

I was actually kind of disappointed in the 90 2-stroke Predator in the bigger dunes at first. Once it hit the hills and fell out of the power band the little 2 stroke just did not have the torque to pull the bike up the hills, However, after a pipe/uni filter/jetting/no limit cdi/and entire clutch kit it really kicks butt in the dunes. With the 18" gliders on it he can go almost everywhere we can at Little Sahara. It is funny to see a mini throw a little rooster :thumbsup:

Since then we have also bought our middle aged daughter a pink Outlaw 90 4-stroke. Completely stock this thing does suprisingly well in the dunes, much better than the stock 90 Predator 2-stroke did. I am anxious to put a pipe/filter on this machine once more aftermarket support comes out for it to see how much better it can do in the dunes.

·
Registered
993 Posts
PaleRider said:

First week he had it.

thats got to make you proud right there man :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts