Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, first off hello im new to the forum, i have had a 2002 yamaha raptor since it first came out and i just recently have been learning how to do a burnout, go off jumps and do the wheelies and more, I would like to increase the performance on my ATV, i would like it to go fast, be able to perform and hold wheelies well (if it already can can somebody explain to me how?) i go off small jumps and am learning to go off bigger ones but im not going to continue to go off huge jumps. I usually ride my atv in tight spaced woods and in my woods i am making a couple mud wholes to go mud boggin, when im done building my riding course in my woods there will be jumps, long stretches, walls to ride off of, mud holes and such. I want my raptor 80 to be upgraded as well as i can for this type of riding, and i also stop by other places aswell but pretty much revolve around the same type of riding. Now, can you guys please show me some good upgrades for my raptor 80. I would like to get nerf bars, a bigger bumper in the front and thinking of installing a carriage rack in the back so i can carry shovels and such for building my terrain course, lights and all other stuff for more speed and better performance for my style of riding. Please reply and thank you!! here are a couple of pictures i took yesterday on my ATV:

today i got my atv even deeper than that above

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey. ITP makes a set of 20 inch tall mud lites especially for sport atvs. You might have to get wheels too (go with lighter ones). As far as modding your quad, start with a filter and rejet if needed. Next go with a pipe and rejet again if necessary. Try to find a cam if that is not enough power. Last, you could always bore the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
How old are you? Looks like it is time to move to a bigger quad.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
Yeah...you're going to dump a ton of money on a bike that you will outgrow.

You might look at a Raptor 350 or a 400Ccc class bike. They will have suspension systems ten times better than what you are on now, and TONS of available bolt ons to trick you bike out and to increase it's performance. It would be well worth the money, especially if your parents are willing to help you. You should be able to get a good price on the Raptor 80. Small bikes that are in good condition are hard to find.

Good luck!

~Brian

·
Registered
554 Posts
Raptor80racing.com has quite a few items for the Raptor 80. But the guys are right. The 80 Raptor is not the best quad to upgrade and upgrading it will get expensive very fast. The suspension on the 80 only has a little more than 2" of travel. It is a great quad to learn on but once you want to start jumping or "stunting" it will just not perform.

You can get a great price for your Raptor, those small quads hold their value well and a nice 200 Blaster, 250ex or any of the other quads in that size will fit you much better and do the things you are wanting to try a lot better and safer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright i will be getting a new ATV sometime, either a raptor 350 or a suzuki Z400. Until then and maybe even past then i will be working on my raptor 80. Depending on how good it is when im done i may or may not sell it. Right now i have been sanding down all the metal parts on it that need to be and i will then prime it, put on some rust-away paint and then put on the final paint on it, so far i have sanding the front bumper, the rear grab bar, and the bottom rear protection of the rear wheels, and i will be sanding down the handlebars, rims and the rest of the body. I will not be sanding down the entire thing, just every part that needs to. I am going to buy some nerf bars, lights, 20mm race carb, race cam, high performance spark plug line, K&N air filter, exhaust pipe, shifter, new brakes or brake pads or something, custom made skid plates, new footpegs depending on the nerf bars, and in the end possibly a new front bumper, new rims and tires. I need to know what exhaust pipe i should buy for my raptor 80, if i can buy a new shifter for it, what to get for the brakes, and then new rims and tires. This will not be banshed around like before when it is complete, I am not looking into customizing it into a mud-bogging ATV because its not and its just stupid doing that to a mini. Any other feedback would be great, thank you!

BigFootWitness

EDIT- also i would like to know how the raptor 80 racing business got a new front suspension for the 80, its not up as a product on there, i would like to replace my "bar" for suspension with some real suspension. Thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't know about the raptor 80 on raptor80racing web site but there is another forum that has an 80 where they took a blaster frame and cut off the front end and welded onto the raptor frame. looked really good. I have seen the frames and 'A' arms for the blaster on ebay. let me know how your performance mods work out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet!! alright i plan on taking my stock front bumper some time of my raptor 80 and cutting the front part of, then make and/or have a proffesional make this front bumper part and then weld it onto the bars from my stock bumper and then i have this bumper installed on my raptor 80!

I also just got some carbon fiber film im putting that on my hood, and on the outer shell of the eyes which i am going to put intense lights inside.

I am looking into putting the A-arm suspension on my ATV, i am probably going to do this by putting on the front of a yamaha blaster.

Right now i am sanding down the entire body and priming it, painting some rust-away and then putting on the final coat, one question though, what color should the frame be?

·
Registered
37 Posts
that raptor 80 with a-arms is sooo sick...its like a raptor pit bike...id sell my ttr 50 for that

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright total change of plans for my raptor 80. I am going to do some work on it and then sell it. I will be buying a new exhaust, working on the brakes or buy new ones, rims & tires and then a K&N air filter. then i will work on the Frame sanding it, priming it and painting it, and then work on the plastic body using plastic renew.

1.) Does anyone know where i can get some touchup paint or something to put on the raptor plastic? I am looking for a way to hide the areas on the plastic where you can see that it has been bent and the color faded from it. Plastic renew only gets rid of scratches it doesn't renew the color over the bent plastic.

Then once all that is done i will be doing the final touches, handlebars, lights, shock covers, maybe new shifters, and other little things like that and then i am off to selling the thing. I will be getting a new ATV.

2.) when you go onto raptor80racing.com and look into products, once you are at the tires section, do those tires come with the rims or no?

3.) any other advice and such is very welcome

Thank you!

EDIT: How much do you guys think i will get for this ATV after all that work. It is a 2002 version.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
BigFootWitness said:
Alright total change of plans for my raptor 80. I am going to do some work on it and then sell it. I will be buying a new exhaust, working on the brakes or buy new ones, rims & tires and then a K&N air filter. then i will work on the Frame sanding it, priming it and painting it, and then work on the plastic body using plastic renew.

1.) Does anyone know where i can get some touchup paint or something to put on the raptor plastic? I am looking for a way to hide the areas on the plastic where you can see that it has been bent and the color faded from it. Plastic renew only gets rid of scratches it doesn't renew the color over the bent plastic.
Use a heat gun to remove stress marks, just don't get it so hot that you melt something.
2.) when you go onto raptor80racing.com and look into products, once you are at the tires section, do those tires come with the rims or no?
not sure give them a call or send them an email
3.) any other advice and such is very welcome

Thank you!

EDIT: How much do you guys think i will get for this ATV after all that work. It is a 2002 version.
Don't sink too much money into it if you are going to sell it, you will never get it back when sold. Do what it needs to make it presentable, but don't go overboard. People expect a certain about of scratches and things on these minis. I think you will get 800-1000 depending on what they go for in your area and the condition of the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the help.

Alright, All i really have to do now is sand down some parts of the frame and such then prime and paint it. Then i could sell it, but i'd like as much money as i can get, Is there some way i can get rid of all the scratches, and is there another way to get rid of the discolor that happened to plastic from when it was bent.

What else, (or) What should i do to this quad? I will get in pictures of it soon to show you all the condition of the raptor 80. And if anyone is looking into buying one, please PM me or post.

Thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.