Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess to get more speed for the 50 I am looking at doing the wiring harness swap from an 80, will any year 80 raptor harness work ? our 50 is an 07, I was looking at the Dyna ign box and it says it has no rev limiter, can't I just use that instead of changing the harness and the cdi ? Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
YFZFelix,

I put an '01 Badger 80 in my daughter's '04 50 and it was plug and play. All the connectors were the same. I would recommend you check to make sure the same stator and all other components are the same in the parts catalog but my guess is for the most part yes.

I do have to advise I had done all the "tricks" to my daughter's 50 and it would vibrate terribly above 15 mph. I could get it up to 17 with a high rev CDI but it was not comfortable to ride that fast. Before you spend the money see how fast it is going now. I used a GPS to determine the speed and I have heard other people with the same vibration issue. Hind sight it always 20/20 but for the 2-3 mph I gained it wasn't worth it:(. I ended up putting the 80 engine/trans it for $75 and it was an afternoon project. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read a few posts about the vibration with the extra RPM's, a little more speed would be nice to help it get up some of the hills at the dunes plus we are still running the knobbies now until scat track releases the 5 paddle tires for it some time late June or early July and that should help out alot, so maybe just get a high rev cdi for the 50 engine would do for now and maybe balance the engine over the winter and then go to the 80 high rev box, so you got to 17 MPH with a 50 high rev box or an 80 rev box ? Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put the 50 rev box on it and it would do 17mph. Yes, I think the engine balance is terrible on these as you only have one gear (second gear on an 80) and anything more it vibrates so bad you can't hold onto the grips (for very long). Right now I'm actually running the stock 50 CDI on it with the 80 engine and it goes 23 mph in 3rd before it hits the limiter. I don't think my daughter needs to go any faster right now on the trails we ride. When I do I'll put the 50 high rev box back on and then an 80 CDI if I need it.

I'm sure if you balanced it you could do 17 or 18 mph but boy that's a lot of $$ and work for like 5 mph. I bought a complete 80 engine and trans off e-bay for $75 and the guy threw in the entire wiring harness. Shoot I paid $85 just for the high rev CDI! Just a thought......

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I can get it to do 17 mph with just a hi rev 50 box I think thats what I am going to do, will I need to do the carb mods to it to go that fast or not ? I like the 80 engine swap but the kid isn't even 5 yet so I think the 50 will see another year or 2 of use, thank you very much for the info, Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, you need to do the throttle. There are two parts to the throttle, one is the slide in the carb and the other is in the throttle housing. You have to do both! This will give you full throttle, if you haven't done that it's the first thing to do. It does cause a slight bog if you hit the throttle wide open at a dead stop but give you quite a bit more power. I tried putting raptor 80 jets in the carb and it made it worse, would stick with the stock jets if that’s all your doing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I know what one of my projects is going to be this weekend, thanks for the help, Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts