Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:3question: :3question:This weekend my daughter was riding her raptor 80 and it died for no apparent reason. I tried starting it and it sounds like it's not getting any spark to ignite the fuel. I tried cleaning the carburator, made sure there was fuel getting to the carburator, checked and replaced the spark plug, made sure there was spark, tried starter fluid to no avail. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, found out what the deal is.....I took it into the dealership and one of the service techs tell me the chokeplate screw fell out and into the intake and damaged the piston. WHAT! He added that he has seen this in 2 other raptor 80's before. He said it's failry common but I cannot believe that if Yamaha knows of this issue they haven't done something to correct it. To add fuel to the inferno, my warranty expired 3 months ago! This thing is practically brand new! Only ridden by my little girl. I need to call Yamaha and see if they can help me on this??? :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
A screw backed itself all the way out, ran down the rest of the intake into the carb, through the carb and into the cylinder head?

I have a hard time believing that yamaha would be dumb enough to put that screw in a place and position that it would even be possible to fall out and damage the engine.

I'd have a look at a parts diagram first just to see if your chain is getting yanked.

·
Super Moderator
17,063 Posts
Sounds like it's been confirmed...

That has to be one of the stupidest things I've heard of. A screw that holds in a part you don't want to begin with is going to grenade your engine...

Guess I'm glad it didn't happen to our 80.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mine wont start either. worked fine one day then all of a sudden it wont start. cleaned carb, intake and it's getting spark. wont even start with carb cleaner. I didnt see any missing screws in the carb/ choke plate so hopefully its not the same problem as others. Any other things i can check? what should the compression be?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The exact same thing happened to mine. Just stopped working while we were riding. I have not torn the intake apart yet and i'm affraid to after reading the info on what's posted. Please fill me in on the dealers work and details so i know what to do. Have till labor day to get it fixed or my daughter is gonna be pissed. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well gang i have seen it all now. I just got finished fixing the raptor 80 and guess what i found. The screw lodged itself into the intake valve and kept it stuck in the open position. Well well well, after tearing the little rappy apart i fixed it. And to make things even better it didnt cost me one cent. Put it all back together and fired right up. Oh that was after i turned the fuel back on HAHAHA. Any way if this happens to any of you and i do mean any of you, Please feel free to call me and i will guide you through the process. IT was a 2004 yamaha raptor 80. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
kncnkns4 said:
Well gang i have seen it all now. I just got finished fixing the raptor 80 and guess what i found. The screw lodged itself into the intake valve and kept it stuck in the open position. Well well well, after tearing the little rappy apart i fixed it. And to make things even better it didnt cost me one cent. Put it all back together and fired right up. Oh that was after i turned the fuel back on HAHAHA. Any way if this happens to any of you and i do mean any of you, Please feel free to call me and i will guide you through the process. IT was a 2004 yamaha raptor 80. Good luck.
Your just lucky it got stuck there. Anyone who reads this should take that screw out and put it in with red lock-tite

·
Registered
21 Posts
Let me say Yamaha makes some very good ATVs, but they just didn't put too much attention into the mini's at all. The way things are set up on that thing, the welding jobs, the way their minis don't have A-arm suspension, etc. Yamaha just doesn't care too much and isn't putting in alot of thought into their minis.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Unfortunately just happened to one of our Raptor 80's. Still under warranty however waiting to hear back re the extent of the damage.

Regardless I'll be dropping the other one off to get some attention before it happens to that one as well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
forcefed said:
Unfortunately just happened to one of our Raptor 80's. Still under warranty however waiting to hear back re the extent of the damage.

Regardless I'll be dropping the other one off to get some attention before it happens to that one as well.
Well the little bastard found it's way into the cylinder so you can guess the extent of the damage. Being fixed under warranty as we speak.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just went through this with my daughters 07 Raptor 80 that was only 2 months old. Screws (BOTH) came out, went into the cylinder, rattled around enough to pretty much destroy the top end, was over $800 in parts, good thing for warranty!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can someone show me on a schematic where this screw comes from so I can check to make sure mine is still in place without having to pull the head off? If it is, I'll just red loc-tite it in place as a safety measure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My service manual diagram doesn't show them either, but I took off the air-box and see that there are two tiny phillips head screws in the middle of the choke plate (holding it to the rod that opens/closes it. I assume these are the problem for some people.

Mine are VERY tight, so I'm not going to fight them loose just to re-tighten them.

I'm going to be re-jetting my carb this weekend, hopefully. When I do, I'll try to snap a pic for the thread.

My little machine is a Grizzly 80, but they are exactly the same beast as the Raptor 80, Badger 80 and the old Moto-4 80. Just different plastics. Same engine, carb, tranny, drive shaft, brakes, exhaust, etc.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.