Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Raptor Bigbore Stroker
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to all this my very first post.

I recently built a complete new build hotrod plus 5 crank with crank brace and oil mod with 108 cylinder (ebay) and cp piston cometic gaskets new timming chain and oil pump. Running web 290 cam ported and flowed head with titanium valve springs +2 intake +1 exhaust fci intake msd blaster and full rossier exhaust.

Engine lasted 4 hrs and looked like this below. Bike never heated up as i have early on fan mod with manual gauge oil pressure is perfect ring gap was to spec oil level was full and A/F was at 13.2 at the coast.

To my knowledge i think its bad cylinder nikasil pealing off motor never sized started up fine and sounded good.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
As soon as I read ebay cylinder, that was my first thought. Then I got to where you said the plating was coming off, I would say it was the cylinder, and even more so as you seem to have done everything else correctly.
I hate to see that this happened to you.
My concern at this point would be getting all of the metal out of the oil passages in the cases and crank and transmission bearings.
It really sucks but I would split the case again too for a full clean up.
Good luck in your repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,787 Posts
I have to agree as well. Need to find a quality cylinder to be reliable. Not sure if you can get a hold of the EBay seller to make an attempt at recouping any cost?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Nasty. Im sorry this happened, those damned ebay parts are sooooo tempting sometimes! Lol. Hey just fyi there are a few places that can re-plate that cylinder (and actually do a really great job right here in the USA) for cheaper than the cost of a new oem cylinder. I always recommend Millennium Technologies

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nasty. Im sorry this happened, those damned ebay parts are sooooo tempting sometimes! Lol. Hey just fyi there are a few places that can re-plate that cylinder (and actually do a really great job right here in the USA) for cheaper than the cost of a new oem cylinder. I always recommend Millennium Technologies

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Yeh thanks for the info i bought a oem bored 105.5 millennium cylinder last week should get it soon. Tru hey ebay cylinders ain't good and dont no wht sellers still sell them. Geting cp 12.5 comp now and going back to 105.5.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to agree as well. Need to find a quality cylinder to be reliable. Not sure if you can get a hold of the EBay seller to make an attempt at recouping any cost?
Quite a popular seller but not responding to me been waiting 2 weeks for a solution. But when buying the kit they responded immediately so iam abit disappointed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As soon as I read ebay cylinder, that was my first thought. Then I got to where you said the plating was coming off, I would say it was the cylinder, and even more so as you seem to have done everything else correctly.
I hate to see that this happened to you.
My concern at this point would be getting all of the metal out of the oil passages in the cases and crank and transmission bearings.
It really sucks but I would split the case again too for a full clean up.
Good luck in your repair.
So crazy but took extra time and did everything to point and taking caution but unfortunately all went to waste. Going back to 105.5 with oem borded nikasil cylinder.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
China cylinders suck. Sometimes they’re fine, sometimes not.
Hopefully after you get it back together the other junk part won’t fail as well, the crank.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reactions: TheRaptor87

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully after you get it back together the other junk part won’t fail as well, the crank.
I never had crank issues with hotrods before but hopefully it will last. After this iam going stock motor just higher comp piston. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I never had crank issues with hotrods before but hopefully it will last. After this iam going stock motor just higher comp piston. :ROFLMAO:
High comp on an oem crank seems to hold up great. Ran my 734 at 14:1 for a few years at 80hp without issue. My girlfriends stock bore high comp with stock head is 65hp. I rode hers last weekend, it’s a lot of fun. You can actually ride it hard at that power level.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yikes! Looks like I should get Engine Dynamics to bore my Yamaha cylinder to fit 102mm CP and leave the Chinese cylinder that came with it alone.

Anything wrong with iron liner 102mm, Guys?

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yikes! Looks like I should get Engine Dynamics to bore my Yamaha cylinder to fit 102mm CP and leave the Chinese cylinder that came with it alone.

Anything wrong with iron liner 102mm, Guys?
Your factory cylinder is 102mm, unless you’re on a 660 and wandered into a 700 post.
I would bore the factory 660 cylinder. Many of the aftermarket ones don’t have a support for the sleeve, sleeve drops and blow headgasket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Your factory cylinder is 102mm, unless you’re on a 660 and wandered into a 700 post.
I would bore the factory 660 cylinder. Many of the aftermarket ones don’t have a support for the sleeve, sleeve drops and blow headgasket.
I wandered!
Sleeve dropping- nice. Glad I asked and learned about another defect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was right i dout this seller is going to refund. According to seller my tune is the cause but iam so sure its not the top of piston is bran new. According to seller 13.2 is to lean to my knowledge 13.2 is fine.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
I was right i dout this seller is going to refund. According to seller my tune is the cause but iam so sure its not the top of piston is bran new. According to seller 13.2 is to lean to my knowledge 13.2 is fine.
That’s fine, my stuff goes leaner at times. What was the compression? Didn’t see a picture of the dome. What fuel did you use? There’s factors other than afr to be wary of. Detonation will take out rings and destroy a cylinder in a hurry.

when I look at that much damage that fast, I would assume you had detonation badly, no ring gap, or bad piston to wall clearance. It is possible that the cylinder was junk.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s fine, my stuff goes leaner at times. What was the compression? Didn’t see a picture of the dome. What fuel did you use? There’s factors other than afr to be wary of. Detonation will take out rings and destroy a cylinder in a hurry.

when I look at that much damage that fast, I would assume you had detonation badly, no ring gap, or bad piston to wall clearance. It is possible that the cylinder was junk.
He has nerve saying that sort of catastrophic damage, in four hours normal use, was caused by a minor F/A issue. He should be flogged. Nonsense. Something major. Send photos to Millennium Technologies (best nicasil company) and ask them. I suppose oil failure/ rings upside down/ way too little gap/ Chinese crap plating are about the only possibilities. My stock iron liner Yamaha cylinder goes in mail to Mike at Engine Dynamics today to avoid some Chinese manufacturing defect on kit cylinder today. CP 12:1, 660.

·
Registered
2015 Raptor 700, Barkers duals, fci, PC5, +3tb, ported head, +1 valves, 5050 cam, 745cc, 12:1,
126 Posts
Yeah 13.2 is where i set my autotune. If it was too lean, you would have seen other signs of heat damage. Too tight of piston to wall clearance is possible though. That could the result of poor cylinder bore size control or using wrong piston. If you provide a new piston to a plater, they will make sure its correct.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Yeah 13.2 is where i set my autotune. If it was too lean, you would have seen other signs of heat damage. Too tight of piston to wall clearance is possible though. That could the result of poor cylinder bore size control or using wrong piston. If you provide a new piston to a plater, they will make sure its correct.
Too loose and rocking around can cause these issues as well. I’m running some that we did a skirt coating to tighten them up a bit.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts