Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Raptor 90 Christmas 2009, summer of 2010 it became an oil pump!!! We were in WV when I first noticed it. By this spring, 2011, it was to the point it had to be fixed, so the engine is at the dealer currently. I had way too much to do to work on the engine.
It was dusty in WV, I am not sure if dust got around or through the filter some how or what.
Has anyone else run into this issue?
Is there any options that can be done to improve the air filtering?

thanks
Richard

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you say oil pump, do mean it was leaking oil?

To make the air filter trap more dirt, it should be soaked in filter oil. I use the spray on kind and place it in a plastic bag so that I can work the oil through the filter.

Also the engine uses a fan to cool the motor. In muddy or very dusty conditions you need to check this fan to insure it does not get clogged.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am talking about BLUE SMOKE!
Having to add oil midway through the ride! I has gotten to the point where I have to add oil every hour.
The air filter did get extremely dirty.
The only thing I could find in Gilbert was a Bio Degradable kit for $40. The seal grease was more like pudy, i am not sure if dirt got through that or what?
I was looking at twin air (I think) last night, i was trying to understand if why you purchased the filter for the rapter if I had to order 2 one for each side or if 2 were included.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes that is a picture of the original air filter, i am trying to find out if the twin air part number is one or two filters.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you have dirt buildup in the filter side intake tube? Did dirt make it past the filters?

Are the filters bad or are you looking to upgrade them?

·
RaptorPilot
602 Posts
Blue smoke?, You need to do a compression check. It sounds like oil is passing onto the cylinder head, ( bad rings).

The element air cleaners are the same part # 43D-E4451-00-00, You need two, one on each side of the air cleaner case. I think you do get two with your order, but make sure. You can purchase them through any Yamaha parts dealer, first check the sponser here on our site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts