Raptor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you PM Morphrider for a manual? Should be YouTube videos. Any video from any motor will give you a general instruction, the difference would be if you have to remove plastic body panels for access.
Yep he sent the 50 manual and looking for a way to get the 90 due to size.

Looking through the 50 manual doesn’t really show all the same parts and really the plastics around the engine like mine has.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,584 Posts
No, the 50 won't be the same plastic, but getting the valve covers off and lining up the crank and cam gear will be similar....
Are there any YouTube videos?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
No, the 50 won't be the same plastic, but getting the valve covers off and lining up the crank and cam gear will be similar....
I’ve watched a few on different kinds of raptors mostly bigger ones and the process of checking the valves seems pretty straightforward. Just getting to them might be the challenge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Took the plastics off and cylinder head cover this morning. With the mark for ‘T’ aligned with the case for TDC and both intake and exhaust valves were between .07 & .10mm clearance which is to Yamaha spec. So not valve adjustment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Any idea what else it could be? Valves were both to spec.

There’s a small amount of white smoke that comes out continuously when starting and riding. Is it possible the carb is running too rich and causing that smoke and plug to foul?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
A rich carb is more of a blackish smoke. Im wondering if oil is getting in the cylinder and fouling plugs. I know you said you checked compression so i would think that would eliminate the possibility of blow by on the piston rings... maybe the valve seals are leaking oil down? Does the plug look oily or anything? Or is it dry and black?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A rich carb is more of a blackish smoke. Im wondering if oil is getting in the cylinder and fouling plugs. I know you said you checked compression so i would think that would eliminate the possibility of blow by on the piston rings... maybe the valve seals are leaking oil down? Does the plug look oily or anything? Or is it dry and black?

It’s usually dry and black but I have seen it look somewhat oily and black before.

I can put a brand new plug in, run it for half hour and it is dry and black.

·
11,584 Posts
Is this bike new to you, and has it started an run OK during your ownership?

Have you cleaned the carburetor? You may need to check the needle and seat as well as having the correct jets installed.

Measure battery voltage, should be at least around 13.5 volts. .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is this bike new to you, and has it started an run OK during your ownership?

Have you cleaned the carburetor? You may need to check the needle and seat as well as having the correct jets installed.

Measure battery voltage, should be at least around 13.5 volts. .
Is new to me as of a month ago. So I would assume this was happening to the seller/original owner as well. Has ran that way since I purchased it.

Have not tried taking the carb off and cleaning. One thing the seller did mention is he swapped the jet for a larger one. That tells me they had the carb off messing with it at some point. And when I pulled the plastics off to access the valves I noticed a screw was missing on the throttle plate side.

Battery is good, replaced with a new one last week and fully charged it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Bingo. Unless it has a high flow exhaust and intake there is no need to put in a bigger jet. Someone didnt understand that more fuel doesnt necessarily mean more power

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bingo. Unless it has a high flow exhaust and intake there is no need to put in a bigger jet. Someone didnt understand that more fuel doesnt necessarily mean more power

Would that cause the faint white smoke and plugs to foul?

·
11,584 Posts
All new batteries must be trickle/float charged for a few day, should have been in the instructions. Don't assume the battery is changed, use a meter.

To big of jets, (pilot and main) as well as needle position, WILL cause plug fouling. Check the manual or with your dealer for the correct sizes. Most of us buy jets from "jets r us".
Be sure the air cleaner is clean and not over oiled.

White smoke may be something else. IDK, does it have a radiator? Is it losing water?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
All new batteries must be trickle/float charged for a few day, should have been in the instructions. Don't assume the battery is changed, use a meter.

To big of jets, (pilot and main) as well as needle position, WILL cause plug fouling. Check the manual or with your dealer for the correct sizes. Most of us buy jets from "jets r us".
Be sure the air cleaner is clean and not over oiled.

White smoke may be something else. IDK, does it have a radiator? Is it losing water?
I checked it with a volt meter to be sure, battery is good.

So I wouldn’t really have any way of knowing what size they actually put in there but I could bring it back to spec. Wondering if they replaced the jet thinking it would fix other carb issues. I’ll check the service manual and see what size it shows and maybe order one. Are they difficult to swap out?

Air cleaner looks good, clean and not over oiled.

No radiator on this one

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

Definitely doesn’t have a high flow exhaust and intake.

·
11,584 Posts
Carb removal isn't always needed. Some mains can be removed thru the drain plug at the bottom of the carb. If yours has a plug, remove it, then feel up inside with a 8mm socket, to big, try decreasing smaller, 7mm, 6mm, till you find one that fits.

Be careful about reinstalling, as it could cross thread. And it may also have a thin washer/gasket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Carb removal isn't always needed. Some mains can be removed thru the drain plug at the bottom of the carb. If yours has a plug, remove it, then feel up inside with a 8mm socket, to big, try decreasing smaller, 7mm, 6mm, till you find one that fits.

Be careful about reinstalling, as it could cross thread. And it may also have a thin washer/gasket.
When you change the jets do they always just screw all the way in? There’s nothing like back it out half turn etc on any of those internal jets right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thread in pilot jets and main jets until they are completely seated and tight.
Ok cool, so it looks like maybe only the pilot jet needs to be backed out. That being said, the service manual doesn’t specify how many turns to back it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Ok cool, so it looks like maybe only the pilot jet needs to be backed out. That being said, the service manual doesn’t specify how many turns to back it out. Any ideas?
No.
The pilot jet And main jet thread completely in, as said.
They are Not adjustable.
They are Not to be "backed out" any.
The exterior air screw should be roughly 1.5 turns counter clockwise from fully right. Give or take .25 to .5 turns either direction.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts