Raptor Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking of buying a raptor 90 for my son 11 year old son. He's 4 feet 11 inches 120 lbs. Is this Atv too small for him?
We just paid $3800 for this giant paperweight for our son so I would pick something else. We are going to have to resell it now to recoup the money for the loan. Nothing but a pretty piece of blue junk. Yes we made sure the screw was as far as would allowed and no there is no speed limiter plate on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just paid $3800 for this giant paperweight for our son so I would pick something else. We are going to have to resell it now to recoup the money for the loan. Nothing but a pretty piece of blue junk. Yes we made sure the screw was as far as would allowed and no there is no speed limiter plate on it.
have you moved the needle down a step? also check the plug and remove the spark arrestor see if any improvement is seen. i have just seen 2 90 raptors (both 2021 models) have had almost blocked spark arrestors

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thinking of buying a raptor 90 for my son 11 year old son. He's 4 feet 11 inches 120 lbs. Is this Atv too small for him?
have you moved the needle down a step? also check the plug and remove the spark arrestor see if any improvement is seen. i have just seen 2 90 raptors (both 2021 models) have had almost blocked spark arrestors
Sorry but what needle are you referring to moving down? Any chance that would void the warranty?

·
Super Moderator
8,855 Posts
He is referring to the needle in the carb.

Reactions: cntdownard

·
Registered
4 Posts
We completely removed the screws (where the speed limiter plate would be if ours would have came with one) and it seems to run better. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
We completely removed the screws (where the speed limiter plate would be if ours would have came with one) and it seems to run better. Thanks everyone
There is no limiter "plate", just a set screw and nut. The end of the scew acts as a stop inside the throttle housing so the thumb throttle can't travel as far.
So with the screw out, you can go to max throttle/rpm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is no limiter "plate", just a set screw and nut. The end of the scew acts as a stop inside the throttle housing so the thumb throttle can't travel as far.
So with the screw out, you can go to max throttle/rpm.
For future readers- there are two separate units that controls / governs speed, one is the screw in the throttle box on handle bar. The other one is under the seat in one of these plastic boxes, which is called a CDI box aka “REV BOX”, it has a little metal clip that is held in place by two screws, they are visible when you look at it, loosen and remove the clip along with both screws.. at first I had put screws back in after removing the little metal clip (this is the plate that everyone is referring to) and it ran much better, and when I tested the theory that existing screws would still be holding it back and that theory is actually true, I removed both tiny screws completely out of the CDI box aka Rev Box. you should at least hit 25+ mph instead of that bullshit original 10-15mph crawl when I brought it home from the dealership..

I bought this 2021 90cc Raptor for my 11 year old 75lbs daughter to keep up with us adults on trails up and down the mountains, you can imagine my frustration when I found out it barely crawls.. reading instruction manuals and all that.

After taking out the screw for throttle limiter and removing metal plate / clip / screws out of CDI box, I am able to climb steep hills, speed was at least 25+ I don’t have a way to gauge speed yet, I tried to pull a donut, not successful yet. They don’t make rev boxes for 2021 model yet as of my research, there is possibility the 2019 ones compatible with 2021? I don’t know, can’t even find the 2019 ones to begin with that was mentioned somewhere, but for sure I need to buy the carb, jets, and full exhaust system. This alone should push her towards 35+ Mph range which should be more than plenty…

I’ll report back in a couple months for a full update.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts