Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 raptor 660 is backifiring and cutting out.
When i start it up it's ok, but when i take off in first gear, as i give it some gas it kind of stalls and splutters, then backfires, and when i clutch its ok until you give it gas again, then it soes the same thing again.
I DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS.. PLEASE HELP !!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Do you look through the stickys about the most common raptor problems? There are rev limiters that cause lots of problems that should be checked. Did it start doing this out of the blue or after some mods?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i looked at other peoples problems that are the same, but they vary, some say emergency parking brake and others say reverse switch and kill switch. i bought the quad with the problem it already had an fmf factory 4 exhaust and then i put a k and n filter on it.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
If it only had an exhaust on it before I doubt it was jetted plus you added the filter to it. Sounds to me like it could be your jetting. But you might as well get rid of that parking brake sensor while you're at it and get a parking brake block off as they are pretty worthless. All the have to do is find the wire with the rounded end plugged into the PB housing and unplug it from there and trace it down to behind the left headlight some place and unplug the connector and its gone. It would help to fill the empty plug with some silicone or RTV or something. There is a stickied thread in one of the 660 sections that gives a more detailed write up of the process if you plan on this, good luck

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
how do you test for the rev limiter?
You follow the instructions in the sticky - unplug the parking brake switch and short the reverse lead to ground... if the problem stops, you know you got it.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You follow the instructions in the sticky - unplug the parking brake switch and short the reverse lead to ground... if the problem stops, you know you got it.
Or you can cut the green and yellow wire at the CDI and the problem will go away if it is your PB rev limiter.............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the rounded plug that enters the pb housing , well at the other end of it above the left headlight, theres a white clip type plug with a black cut wire coming out of it and also another wire with a ring end .

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
the rounded plug that enters the pb housing , well at the other end of it above the left headlight, theres a white clip type plug with a black cut wire coming out of it and also another wire with a ring end .

The parking brake switch connector (white plastic, two pin plug, with a pair of black wires entering from the switch end and a green/yellow and black wire pair from the harness end) is up behind the headlight... this is all spelled out in detail in the sticky you were referred to.

Don't know what your 'black cut wire' and 'ring end' refers to - I suspect your wiring has been modified from stock.

What are you describing as the 'PB housing'? The PB switch is mounted up at the clutch lever and it's pair of black wires come down to the connector described above.

Best bet is to do what Willy described - CUT the green/yellow wire up near the CDI (under the seat). This guarantees that the PB limiter will never come on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im going today to fix the quad, if i cut the green/yellow wire, and it doesnt fix my problem, will it do any harm to anything else, or just do away with the pb rev limiter.?

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
noob didn't realize.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts