Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THREW MY CHAIN THE OTHER DAY AND THOUGHT IT HAD STRETCHED CAUSE I COULDNT TIGHTEN IT(BURRIED THE ADJUSTING SCREWS AND STILL NOT ENOUGH) LEFT ALL BOLTS LOOSE AND INSTALLED NEW TIRES AND TINKERED WITH OTHER THINGS ALL THE WHILE SEEKING ADVISE. LOCAL BIKE SHOP SAID THEY WOULD TAKE OUT A LINK, OTHER SHOP SAID NOT TO AND REPLACE CHAIN. ONE POST ON INTERNET SAID OLDER BROKE IN CHAINS DONT STRETCH AND TO CHECK FOR LOOSE MOTOR MOUNTS, BAD SWING ARM BUSHINGS ECT.. CHECKED ALL THAT STUFF AND ALL SEEMED WELL. DECIDED TO TIGHTEN EVERYTHING BACK UP AND GET IT OFF THE JACK FOR AWHILE. THE CHAIN TIGHTEND UP JUST FINE!! RODE IT UP AND DOWN THE DRIVEWAY AND....LOOSE AGAIN!! SOOO! ANY ADVISE? CHANGE ALL BUSHINGS ANYWAY? NEW CHAIN? TAKE OUT A LINK? ID LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS HAD SIMILAR PROBS! THANKS!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Did you remember to tighten the bearing carrier bolts after adjusting the chain? If your chain is soo stretched that you run out of adjustment you need a new chain, dont buy a cheap steel chain, buy a good o-ring or x-ring chain or you will be buying a new one in a month. Jack the raptor up under the frame and see if you can move swingarm side-to-side and then try to move the axle, if they are tight check the front sprocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS!! YES I DID TIGHTEN THE BEARING CARRIER BOLTS. POSSIBLE THE CARRIER GOT MESSED UP? I TOOK THE REAR CALIPER OFF AND EVERYTHING TURNED NICE AND SMOOTH SO I DIDNT TEAR IT APART ANY FURTHER TO CHECK! I GUESS ILL GET A NEW CHAIN AND GO FROM THERE! ALSO TOOK THE SHOCK LINKAGE OUT AND WIGGLED THE SWING ARM AND NO MOVEMENT FROM SIDE TO SIDE OR ANY OTHER WAY FOR THAT MATTER, SO FIGURED ALL WAS WELL THERE! THANKS AGAIN!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If your chain is that hammered, your sprockets are probably toast too. Look at replacing the whole set, putting a new chain on bad sprockets is wear the chain faster.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Definatly go with the new chain AND sprockets if thats ur definate problem. few dollars more but world of differance.Posssibly pllay with ur teeth count for more low end or high

1 - 5 of 5 Posts