Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions on where to start.

So basically I have an 07 700 with newly installed Barkers, intake, PC5 and Krypton bulbs HIDs but I'm having a problem.

I installed the above parts about two weeks ago and its been all good until last night. I drive the bike and it works great. Idles, revs up, high speed all good until I start hitting the rough spots. When I hit bumps the engine cuts out for a split second then keeps going. If its a lot of bumps it cuts off and on repeatedly until I slow down or the bumps stop.

I immediately thought some loose wire from my recent PC5 install so disconnected the injector and TPS and put them back to stock. This had no effect. The problem persists.

I then removed the fuses from the headlights even though I was pretty sure that wasn't it and it didn't make a difference.

So its back to stock basically and the problem keeps happening.

Anyone ever have this or hear of this? It only happens when I hit bumps. When its smooth sailing all is good.

So far I have:
checked battery terminals to make sure they are tight
removed PC5 and HID lights
fidgeted with as many wires as I could find while the bike is idling to see if it craps out but nothing recreates the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Baffling.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
i know this is unrelated, but when i had a polaris 500 efi it would do this same thing.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new here but I'm hoping someone has some suggestions on where to start.

So basically I have an 07 700 with newly installed Barkers, intake, PC5 and Krypton bulbs HIDs but I'm having a problem.

I installed the above parts about two weeks ago and its been all good until last night. I drive the bike and it works great. Idles, revs up, high speed all good until I start hitting the rough spots. When I hit bumps the engine cuts out for a split second then keeps going. If its a lot of bumps it cuts off and on repeatedly until I slow down or the bumps stop.

I immediately thought some loose wire from my recent PC5 install so disconnected the injector and TPS and put them back to stock. This had no effect. The problem persists.

I then removed the fuses from the headlights even though I was pretty sure that wasn't it and it didn't make a difference.

So its back to stock basically and the problem keeps happening.

Anyone ever have this or hear of this? It only happens when I hit bumps. When its smooth sailing all is good.

So far I have:
checked battery terminals to make sure they are tight
removed PC5 and HID lights
fidgeted with as many wires as I could find while the bike is idling to see if it craps out but nothing recreates the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Check your throttle body boots that they are tight, I have seen on carbureted bikes where if the carb is loose, the engine shuts down when you hit a bump because the boot sucks air............

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes check the TB. After I picked mine up from being worked on I had the same problem. Later took it all apart and found the little locking connector that holds the fuel line on the TB was broke and therefore was not keeping the fuel line on. I guess it was letting air in like stated above. You want all your fuel lines tight. Not loss and wiggling around.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Had a similar issue last year when I cut my fenders... I relocated the coil and the way it was placed allowed for the coil wire to ground on the engine on bumps... Everytime I hit a good bump, the wire would move and short and the engine would momentarily cut out. Took a while to figure it out and once I placed the coil correctly, no more problems.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first thought was something grounding out. Compress your suspension to bottom and see if it happens.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts
Check the plug on the ECU on the the air box. Mine was doing the exact same thing last month.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I'm still having this problem but I'm starting to narrow it down a bit.

With your suggestions I went to town on it and throughly checked the throttle body, fuel lines and anything that has to do with air or fuel in that area with no luck.

A this point I still really had no idea what was happening when the bike was cutting out so I used my McGyver skills and zip tied an inline spark tester to my handle bars as well as a light bulb that I have back probed into the injector driver circuit so I could see which one of those may be cutting out over the bumps. Took it for a drive and I quickly found out that both spark and injector pulse are cutting out at the same time.

This tells me that the ECU is turning them off in response to some feedback or lack of feedback from a sensor or cutoff switch.

I then checked my kill switch and key so make sure they were not the culprit and they appear fine. Next was the lean angle sensor. I took the mounting bolts out, turned it upside down and the bike turns off. Turn it back over and it works fine again. Took it apart and all appears well but to be sure I filled it with grease to keep it from moving and cutting the engine at all.

None of this has made any difference at all but at least I know the problem is not an air or crack in line type problem but I'm not sure where to go from here.

My plan is to backprobe the TPS and crank sensors with a multimeter strapped to the bars and see what happens.

Any other suggestions from anyone? What other sensors or switches could be causing the ECU to kill power?

PS. The parking brake switch was removed long before I got the bike.

Thanks for your help,
McFrosty

·
Registered
61 Posts
well done on your detective work so far!!
but your description of the "fault" bearing in mind you have checked the kill and tip over switches, neither of which switch off both those circuits i believe?
says to me that the ecu is either losing battery voltage for a split second or the ground is bad? its the only thing i can think off which would cause such a strange fault?
good luck with it

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Yep, I would say a bad ground, might want to look into that, look also for connector issues.
Worn out plug connections, dirt in between connections, fuse's, relays and just about anything like that can cause issues.
I would run a wire from the ground of the ECU and check it is not failing when going over a bump and see what you can find.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the ECU only cuts the injector pulse and not the spark to kill the motor? I thought it would do both. Good to know.

I will rig up a test light to the ground and power wires on the ECU to see if its losing power.

Thanks for the help.

·
#327 "After Hours"
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ya I checked the ECU wires thoroughly and they are all good. No marks on any of them the plug is good and clean inside and all the pins are tight. Also checked the fusable link and ground (its grounded direct to the battery) for the ECU and its all good there as well.

I did find one wire that had rubbed through on the fuel pump relay but it wasn't possible for it to ground anywhere as its plastic all around. I repaired it anyway but it didn't help.

I've been reading the service manual but I can't find anything that shows grounds. Is there a list of grounds in there anywhere?

Soon I'm just going to leave it in the front yard with the key in it and hope its gone in the morning haha.

EDIT: I'm looking for the wires for the reverse limiter and parking brake switch incase thats got something to do with it. The parking brake is gone from the bike before I got it but I assume the wires are still there somewhere. Where are they?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: Issue resolved.

The problem was one of the speed sensor wires had melted from my Barkers and was grounding out on the exhaust. I didn't see it before because that area is too greasy from chain lube, lol. I used some engine shampoo to clean it off as I was checking the neutral and reverse switches and noticed the copper showing through on speed sensor.

Repaired the wire and added some header tape and were good to go.

Does anyone know what if the speed sensor is used for anything other than the speed limiter? Timing advance or anything? I'm just going to cut the wires and remove it if not.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya I've read that thread and other similar threads. I have grounded ,y baby blue wire and it got me to 83mph but I feel like there's more to that speed sensor than just limiting speed.

Did Yamaha add a sensor, reluctor wheel, and programming in the ECU just to limit the speed of the ATV? or does it do more than that. Seems like a lot of work, lol.

If thats all if it then I will just cut the wires and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts