Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was driving my raptor today and it just up and died i had been riding it about 2 or 3 minute it will crank but will not fire up ive put 2 diff spark plugs in and still wont fire.i was trying some cheap 1s so they could have been bad 2 but im getting a new BETTER 1 tomorrow. some1 told me it could be the coil is there any way i can check it and see if thats it if so how..and if any1 else knows something it could be please help im needing it running asap i was going ridding tomorrow..lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
The old skool way to check for spark was to pull the plug, plug it back into the spark plug boot, rest it on the engine and turn the motor over. If it arc's pretty blue, or shocks the living @#$% out of you cause u were holding it then it's most likely NOT the coil. If there is NO spark, start checking everything electrical. If you got spark, check fuel...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did that and there was a LITTLE spark 1 or 2 time and the rest there wasn't any at all..what would i need to check?and thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If by little you mean 'weak' and not blue (yellow sparky is bad sad sparky) then check all connections your coil. Go online or check the raptor service manual for the coil resistance checks and 'ohm it out'. Once you know what the primary and secondary windings should read on an ohm meter, measure it. If bad, then replace coil. Also check your voltage, but I assume it is good since I 'assume' it is turning over with the button. I would attach the raptor service manual but I'm naked sitting on the crapper and about to hit the sheets. You can find it in the forum, I did, so search for it. Google 'how to ohm check a coil'. If you didn't understand that. Goodnight!

·
Registered
84 Posts
IF you haven't tried to check the coil I dont know what you want us to do for you. If you can't find the specs for the resistance check then go the easier/more expensive route and try a new coil. If your getting SOME spark but not good spark the coil would be my first bet. But before I ordered and waited for one I would check it with a $5 ohm meter. Do you have a buddy you can swap coils with?

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I get time in a few I'll look for the resistance values for you...

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK, d00d. Check the resistance across the primary and secondary sides of the coil and see if they match this SS. If it is out of spec, then ur coil is bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK, d00d. Check the resistance across the primary and secondary sides of the coil and see if they match this SS. If it is out of spec, then ur coil is bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im having the same problem as he is now. My raptor backfired and immeadiatly shut down.

So I figured its the spark plug. Its turning over, I can hear/feel it. I know its compressing because its turning over. But without spark its not going to start up.

I bought a digital meter from Walmart. My problem is, I have no idea what im supposed to be doing. Im sure I have to put the red and black needles into somthing, but I dont exactly know where. Ummm I also tried to start the raptor over while putting to spark plug in the boot and holding it to the engine, I had no spark. Also, when I press the start button without the spark plug in, its shooting out a mist of gas through the opening of the spark plug. Thats good, because the injectors are doing their job. So could someone pretty please explain to me what im supposed to do for the check. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you could use google, you could find this. Search for 'ignition coil test' for more details... Your coil has 2 windings, a primary (hooked up to the electrical system. And a secondary, hooked up to the plug. To be simple, if u just attached the ohm meter across the connections and looked for the resistances I already found for u you'd probably find the numbers. But measure across the small wires connected to the coil, this is the primary. Then measure from the spark plug connection to ground (one of the 2 wires in the primary). this is the secondary, if either value is even a little bit out of the spec I listed then replace the coil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have NGK Iridium spark plugs (cr8eix) in my raptor. Unfortunatly, I dont have any more on hand, and no other auto parts; walmart; and powersport place has any of these plugs in. The Honda Powersport dealer say that have a "9". She said its one degree cooler, but it would be fine. Is this true?

Currently, the gas im using is 91 octane. Thats all I can find around here. I need to run 93 octane. And I can run 50/50 race fuel and 93 octane. Now I think that if I have to use such high ocatane gas, with a cooler plug then all of that gas wont get burned off. Is this a fair assumption?

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
You can take the coil out and have it tested at the dealer they will do it for you and shouldent charge anything because if its bad they know its money in their pockets.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
A pickup coil for an ATV may be tested by measuring the resistance across the coil's electrical leads and comparing this value against the expected range specified in the ATV's shop manual.

1.Disconnect the pickup coil assembly from the ignition system (e.g. the CDI unit or engine control module)
2.Identify the coil's electrical contacts on the connector
3.Measure the electrical resistance between the coil's contacts with an Ohmmeter or digital volt meter.

Take care not to grab both leads of your ohmmeter with your fingers while measuring this value or you'll measure your body's resistance in parallel with the coil. It's not dangerous but it might corrupt your reading.

The value for working part will vary by manufacturer and model, but will typically be between 100 ohms and 350 ohms.

If the coil reads as an "open circuit", or the resistance in the high 10's of k-ohms or higher, your coil is damaged and likely non-functional.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm not a pro in plugs and heat ranges, but I believe the primary thing that makes a plug 'hotter' or 'cooler' is the length of the porcelain. The reason to go hotter would be if your effectively not igniting the fuel every cycle (misses). If you go too hot the plug can cause a detonation (because it is too hot for the fuel/pressure/temp), which is what you are avoiding by running higher octane fuel. Honestly I think if it isn't pinging (detonating) and your plug color looks good, let her eat!

my 2 cents...

·
Registered
38 Posts
The primary reading came out to be 4.1 ohms and secondary was low: 6.1ohms. Could my stator have gone bad? The reason why I ask: if the heart isnt beating right, then how can I get good/strong pulse from the coil. Mainly, I turned the raptor on and did the test again. The primary stayed the same, but the secondary test wouldnt give me a number. I hate to have hi-jacked the op's question, but I think the questions im asking could still be benificial.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bumpy

·
Registered
84 Posts
You could in theory completely remove the stator from your bike and run it strictly from the battery. I know, I ran a street bike for years with a crappy stator...

If your coil is not in the range specified in the manual, (Primary '3.4-4.6 Ohms' and secondary '10.4 - 15.6 k Ohms') then either "your doing it wrong" or it is BAD. Even a little out of spec is reason to replace.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts