Raptor Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to atv's and such, but I did just buy a like new 01 raptor, I know that the transmission will need to be replaced sometime, but thats another issue. My question is- when I run the raptor hard, like balls out all the way thru the gears, it will die when I let off of the gas. Is this a valve issue?? Every once in a while, It will just die when putting around. How much will it cost to get the valves checked, and since I did bring it up, how much will a new transmission cost?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Welcome to the site.

The dying out could be as simple as dirty carbs or lean jetting, the latter is more likely if the bike has any modifications. Tight valves can cause all kinds of problem and should be adjusted every 10-20 hours of ride time. The procedure is a rather simple one and many riders are perfectly capable of doing it on their own. You can find the procedure in the service manual; there are electronic copies availible if you don't have one already.

New trans parts run around 600-800, places like Ripper Racing are great resources for these parts. If you want in depth instuctions and explanations of parts you can go to www.raptortranny.com and look through their tutorials and forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike has a modified airbox, and a GYT-R Pipe, It has been rejetted, but that was done in 2001, as soon as the pipe went on, and the box was modified. I think Im going to take it somewhere and have it tuned up- since it hasnt been rode in 2-3 years.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
How does the spark plug look? If you haven't recently it's always a good idea to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts