Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to track down a no spark issue on a 2002 raptor . Testing the parts as per the manual they are all in spec except for one these are the numbers .... It blew the ignition fuse and i replaced it but no more spark after that

"Rotor rotation direction detection coil resistance: 0.069 ~ 0.085 ? at 20 °C (68 °F) (Red ? White/Blue)"

Mine tests out at 0.00

"Pickup coil resistance: 445 ~ 545 ? at 20 °C (68 °F) (White/Red ? White/Green"

Mine tests out in spec at 550 .

Is it safe to say the 0.00 means the stator is bad ?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,690 Posts
Yes.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Try cutting the red wire that exits the stator and see if your spark returns.........

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and thanks .

I am going to order a new one but in the mean time ill just snip the red wire and see . Cant hurt lol

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
NO - your (and most other's) meter is not able to properly measure resistance that low... 0.00 is the same as spec, as far as the accuracy of your meter is concerned.

Unplug the regulator - if spark returns THEN cut the red wire and reconnect the regulator. If unplugging the regulator doesn't return spark there's no need to cut the red wire.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
So let's check the obvious... Does the reverse light work?

Does the starter turn over with start button press?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the reverse light comes on and starter works with button . it all tests good other wise so according to manual so must be the cdi . Going to order some parts and see

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
OK, so from your answer we know that the CDI is getting good power and ground and is at least working to some degree. CDI's SELDOMLY fail. See if you can get hold of a 2002-2005 CDI (NOT 2001 !!!), and do a quick swap out - bet you it's NOT the CDI.

Have you checked the spark plug wire and boot? Occasionally, the boot's internal resistor can come loose... also the orange coil wire can get corroded/dirty where it connects to the coil, and the coil's ground wire too.

If you have access to an oscilloscope, look at the orange coil wire when cranking. It should be near ground except for a short 100+V pulse at each spark event.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont have acsess to a oscilloscope. But i did check every component according to the manual starting from the switch and working to the CDI . All of them check out good with the exception to whats listed in my first post . But that might be to the limits of my tester . The coil wires are clean and have continuity .

little more info on when it died we were mudding and i stalled it with the clutch and went to restart it popped once . And never ran again lol and it did blow the main fuse . Which has not blown again since . I also did see some smoke the next day near the regulator area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 03 Raptor.. It has been sitting quite awhile in toyhauler and went to get her running and I have same issue now. "No Spark" I have watched the video that led me here and I cannot get spark. I replaced plug and I have done everything that you have suggested in other "No Spark" posts. I would appreciate any assistance that you can offer. Thank you.

jalan0799

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
You can start by telling all what you did rather then us assuming what you did.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Master of the Electron
15,180 Posts
jalan - do what Willy asks... give us details on your symptoms, not an assumption of what is at fault.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is what I have now. It turns over just no spark. I followed a diagram posted by quadmaniac to modify or bypass cdi and I still have no spark. How do I test the stator??

I have checked local shop and they do not have anything used or cheap to use to test or troubleshoot. I have to order new. I want to know what to order before I start ordering the entire elec system.

I am sure it is electrical but that's me. I am at the mercy of all on this Forum.
What I have: Fuses good. Reverse light, temp light and neutral light are all on when key is on. Run switch on and I push the start button and it just tries to start....Have new spark plug and ground it and I get no spark.

Thank you

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Did you cut the red wire that exits the stator cocer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No but now if I cut the wire do I need to put the wiring back to original wiring. I have to go back and look at the video or thread. I believe there was a reason I did not cut the red wire or try that step because of another suggestion.
I'll be back.
Thank you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did not cut the red wire because when I disconnected the connector at rectifier I still did not have any spark. So I moved on to CDI and followed QuadManiac's suggestion of modifying wiring. Still no spark.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

it was mangled wired going into the cdi box . (Found out it is a common problem)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have an 06 350 raptor I have a spark tool so I can see the spark when I try and start it sometimes I have spark sometimes no spark at all and sometimes the spark is intermittent I’ve taken the coil out and I’ve taken my ohmmeter and mine just has an automatic home setting when I click the red wires for the orange wire hooks up on the coil the black wire to the body of the coil I get a reading Of .4 when I leave the red wire connected to where the orange wire connected to and I put the black chest lead into the spark plug socket I get a reading of 18.95 I don’t know how I’m supposed to read it the primary in the book says .32 48 in the secondarySays 5.6 to 8.52. In the manual the wire colors don’t match with a box that is mounted next to the coil And I can’t find the plug its plugged into it on the diagram either

1 - 20 of 24 Posts