Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there just wondering what everyone is running in there raptor, the manual says to run an 87 octance regular gas with gasohol ethanol. Is there any out there using premium or which is the best way to go? :3question:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I run 87 w/o any problems :thumbsup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do u use any gas stabilizer i was told by my dealer i should be using it, but a couple of my other buddies say you should only use it if your quad isnt running good or else it is point less. with the stabilizer hurt my raptor or is it safe to use it?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I didnt know the manual said 87( I dont have the manual though), Ive always run 91/92 and she runs great. I only run 91/92 in my car too.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I run regular(87) in mine too. No problems.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run 93 all the way. I cant see running 87 in a 686 just doesnt seem right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I run super unleaded no issues.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Seeing how the 700 is only running at a 9.2:1 compression and that the temperatures are cold right now you are gaining absolutely nothing by running more than 87 Octane. In fact running higher octane in the cold weather can cause problems and hurt performance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lots of public misconceptions about gas & octane.

Many folks perceive it to be like a dose of TNT for gas. "Man, I'm jacked up...that triple espresso was some high octane!!!" It's actually an inhibitor, not a booster.

Octane is a chemical added to gasoline blends to reduce the rate of flame spreading (combustion).

It is added for high-compression cylinders since compressing a gas (like air, nitrogen, helium) generates heat. Diesel engines have no sparkplugs, just a glow plug to get them started. After that, the heat generated during the compression is what ignites the air/fuel mix.

You have to match this reaction to your engine's compression type, in real world numbers, not in how "badass" you think the engine is. It's all about compression ratio (as mentioned in other posts). Add too high an octane level fuel to a lower compression engine, and you are reducing the rate of burn too much. This, as mentioned, can cause poor performance. Converse is true as well: add lower octane fuel to a high-compression cylinder, and you get pre-detonation (due to the extra heat from the higher compression) and you hear this as 'pinging', and poor performance. Do enough of this, and you'll end up with engine damage.

The 700R's engine is not particularly high compression. Use what the manual says.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dealer told me to run premium gas in my 700r so that is what i have been doing since i had it and no problems at all.

·
Registered
511 Posts
i ran 91 oct in it at 1st and it was fine i tried a couple tanks of 100 oct and it seemed better. last weekend i ran 110 after a few calls to various shops here in town. raced my brother up comp hill and he asked me what other mods i did. told him all i did is up the octane to the 110 and it turned it into a beast on the hills. it was 38 degrees outside and it ran awesome. i will not run any other octane now antil i feel a diff in the way its acting. the new octane gave it a nice rumble sound in the exhaust and ran like a champ 100 percent better than the 91 or the 100 oct. very nice throttle response. from all the calls to performance shops with the 3 mods it will burn clean and up a little on hp.

·
Registered
511 Posts
all i can say is what it did for me. try a tank of it and see if it changes anything and if it doesnt then u learned from trying it. i gained about a quad toa quad and a half at the top of comp him against my bro which was half a quad b4. so with that said ill be runnin it till i see a problem or feel a problem. as for it slowing me down and loosing power not true on this end as i am alot faster now. tried and trued!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
captnkllm said:
i ran 91 oct in it at 1st and it was fine i tried a couple tanks of 100 oct and it seemed better. last weekend i ran 110 after a few calls to various shops here in town. raced my brother up comp hill and he asked me what other mods i did. told him all i did is up the octane to the 110 and it turned it into a beast on the hills. it was 38 degrees outside and it ran awesome. i will not run any other octane now antil i feel a diff in the way its acting. the new octane gave it a nice rumble sound in the exhaust and ran like a champ 100 percent better than the 91 or the 100 oct. very nice throttle response. from all the calls to performance shops with the 3 mods it will burn clean and up a little on hp.
Are you at stock C/R 9.2/1? If you are, I would say 110 is overkill. Don't know what your paying per gallon, but it might be worth checking out VP fuels. VP fuels has about 60 different blends for alot of applications, and you could save yourself some $$$ by going to a QUALITY lower octane fuel. Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Since I'm stock (motor) I'll just run what the manual specifies... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I was in the fuel business for a long time for a major retailer. There are a lot of myths about octane out there. This thread dealt with octane a little more in depth.
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=5101.15

The only thing I will add that was not already stated in that thread is remember, "race gas" does not have any DC additives (deposit control) and your engine will build up carbon deposits running it. Resulting in a much hotter running engine, poorer running engine and you will then need to run the higher octane because of the hot spots created by the deposits.

·
Registered
511 Posts
captnkllm said:
all i can say is what it did for me. try a tank of it and see if it changes anything and if it doesnt then u learned from trying it. i gained about a quad toa quad and a half at the top of comp him against my bro which was half a quad b4. so with that said ill be runnin it till i see a problem or feel a problem. as for it slowing me down and loosing power not true on this end as i am alot faster now. tried and trued!
read above and try for urself and see. if nothing then it cost u a tank of gas if it helps then man o man what fun.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have always ran just 87 octane gas in my bike..... but ever since i got the LTE Duals i have started running the 91 Octane.... really i dont have a reason for running it... i just thought that it would make it run a little better... and to be truthfull i cant really tell much of a difference... I mean i think i can tell a difference at like full throttle it seems to be a little smoother... but maybe thats just me..
Anyway, i like the 91 octane.

Plattner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.