Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i just joined this forum to ask a few important questions, any honest help would be much appreciated. Ive been thinking of getting a quad this summer or next spring not sure when yet but ive been leaning towards the Raptor 700. It seems to be a really nice bike and good for what i want to do, trail rding, hittin a few jumps & basically just fooling around. Im looking at the 2007-2009 range does anyone know if there is much difference in these years, if so then what? Also im 6'5, 225 lbs, ive never sat on a raptor before but from what ive been told i will be fine on it, any taller guys ride one? If so how does it fit you? Like I said ive never rode one of these before ive rode utility quads tons but never a sports quad. Would you think the Raptor 700 is to big for me to learn on power wise? Im a pretty quick learner and i dont want to spend money on a slower quad to end up just wanting something bigger after i get used to riding. Also any other information that i should look out for when buying and what ever else i might need to know would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Before i bought my raptor i rode a kodiak 400 and had never rode a sport quad. I absolutly love mine. Im 6'3 215lbs. I have no problem with mine. Very comfy as well. Alot of my buddies have 450's and i really dont like them. Raptor is perfect for trails and dunes

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I would go with a 2009 because of the updated shocks because they wont be pogos they will be rezzies. 6'5 damn and hello up there lol, your going to feal right at home on the 700 thats for sure you might want to change the handlebars in the long run because of your hight! The raptor dosent compare to anything else i could say. Its a freakin beast thats for sure. 400 bah what a jolt you will have on this bike i assure you but be carefull its nothin compared to a 4x4 and they are really fun and fast and can become a handfull in no time...Buying new is your best bet but you can find some good used ones. If i where you id try to find a stock one to get used to it. Some of the modded rappys really pack a punch...They are very reliable and if you take care of it it will take care of you. Your at the right place to be asking questions and we cant wait for you to buy it and post pics... Heres my 2009 SE bought it in september 2010 (pic attached). Still runs very hard omg thats an understatement LOL.

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

I love it and i always wear my helmet. Im crazy but not that crazy!

Hes crazy he just thinks hes not!

Oh shut up you!

Take your meds!

Ya ya ya!

Take care Black Thunder!

Yup what dummy said!

Oh shut up!

LOL!!!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Welcome mate. I started out on a Raptor 660 and you soon get use to the power and handling. All my mates had 700's so was my aim to get one at some point. Brought a brand new one in March last year and have done 4050 miles on it and still love it just as much as the day I brought it. Got loads planned for mine and the tuning bug will surely hit you at some point.

Keep us posted when you get it 8)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never owned or really rode atv/motorcycle a few of my friends had them and I rode on occasion. I just bought a raptor and waiting on delivery today. I really wanted an r1, but I think I'll get comfortable riding a quad first. That non sense about being to big and powerful is bs. I know I'm not going to drive like a retard and above my comfort zone. Just because it has a lot of power doesn't mean some one can't handle it. My dad is 6'3 230 lbs and makes taller guys look small compared to him. He sat on it yesterday and said he was comfortable. If my dad said it's comfortable then it is. Hes very big on how comfortable everything is. Returned a couch my mom bought cuz he didnt like it haha.

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Before i bought my raptor i rode a kodiak 400 and had never rode a sport quad. I absolutly love mine. Im 6'3 215lbs. I have no problem with mine. Very comfy as well. Alot of my buddies have 450's and i really dont like them. Raptor is perfect for trails and dunes
Ok good to know i just dont wanna feel uncomfortable on it since im a tall guy, sounds like Im looking at the right toy though!

I would go with a 2009 because of the updated shocks because they wont be pogos they will be rezzies. 6'5 damn and hello up there lol, your going to feal right at home on the 700 thats for sure you might want to change the handlebars in the long run because of your hight! The raptor dosent compare to anything else i could say. Its a freakin beast thats for sure. 400 bah what a jolt you will have on this bike i assure you but be carefull its nothin compared to a 4x4 and they are really fun and fast and can become a handfull in no time...Buying new is your best bet but you can find some good used ones. If i where you id try to find a stock one to get used to it. Some of the modded rappys really pack a punch...They are very reliable and if you take care of it it will take care of you. Your at the right place to be asking questions and we cant wait for you to buy it and post pics... Heres my 2009 SE bought it in september 2010 (pic attached). Still runs very hard omg thats an understatement LOL.

View attachment 48567

I love it and i always wear my helmet. Im crazy but not that crazy!

Hes crazy he just thinks hes not!

Oh shut up you!

Take your meds!

Ya ya ya!

Take care Black Thunder!

Yup what dummy said!

Oh shut up!

LOL!!!
LoL... good laugh to start my morning at work, and yes once i make my purchase i will be buying gear as well as i am also not that crazy. Yes ive been looking at some good used 2008-09s down in the states they seem to be cheaper in the states. While im on that topic im assuming there is no difference between the american/Canadian models if i buy in the states...prob a stupid question for you guys but like i said im a noob to the sports quad world!

P.S. thats a sick quad, just like what i want :)

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never owned or really rode atv/motorcycle a few of my friends had them and I rode on occasion. I just bought a raptor and waiting on delivery today. I really wanted an r1, but I think I'll get comfortable riding a quad first. That non sense about being to big and powerful is bs. I know I'm not going to drive like a retard and above my comfort zone. Just because it has a lot of power doesn't mean some one can't handle it. My dad is 6'3 230 lbs and makes taller guys look small compared to him. He sat on it yesterday and said he was comfortable. If my dad said it's comfortable then it is. Hes very big on how comfortable everything is. Returned a couch my mom bought cuz he didnt like it haha.
Ya thats what i figured as well, i mean im not going to go out & do anything crazy...not until i get used to it anyway ahaha ..the comfort zone like you said

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Compared to some 4x4's comfort level the rappy beat them hand down that for sure...Returned the couch LOL i bet he slept in the dog house for that one LOL...Well the couch got returned...LOL

·
Registered
621 Posts
Get some pics of your bike up mate 8)

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Get some pics of your bike up mate 8)
Once i purchase one i will deffinately post up some pics ....i hopefully will get it this year really pushing for it but worst case scenario it wont be until next spring :(

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Thats the 2009 SE model it sure turns heads. Wish it would be more of a chick magnet! LOL. Its freakin plush as is but with some long travel suspension and a-arms it will be even better. Canadian models humm their might be some french warning stickers on it so double the stupid warning stickers on mine. Im keeping the english ones but man got to hate the doubles in french dammit. Your going to love it and your friends with less motor might start hatting you alot LOL and thats a good thing LOL. I paid 9200$ for mine. I really wanted an SE and black. Got lucky and found that one!!! Instead of paying 12 thou for a 2011 model. Dont know where your from but i saw some brand new models non SE going as low as 8000$ around Montreal area...

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats the 2009 SE model it sure turns heads. Wish it would be more of a chick magnet! LOL. Its freakin plush as is but with some long travel suspension and a-arms it will be even better. Canadian models humm their might be some french warning stickers on it so double the stupid warning stickers on mine. Im keeping the english ones but man got to hate the doubles in french dammit. Your going to love it and your friends with less motor might start hatting you alot LOL and thats a good thing LOL. I paid 9200$ for mine. I really wanted an SE and black. Got lucky and found that one!!! Instead of paying 12 thou for a 2011 model. Dont know where your from but i saw some brand new models non SE going as low as 8000$ around Montreal area...
LOL ya im looking to spend around the $6000 range as i have a habit of spending money on my truck. I really would like an SE but in my price range and a newer model my findings are rare for that. This is the one ive been looking into i emailed the dealership and just waiting for a reply. Its a 20hour drive from where i live so i wanna make it worth my while before i drive down there & maybe even see if i can find any others in the area just in case that doesnt fall through. anyway heres the link...no one better go buy it either!:sniper:

http://www.atvtraderonline.com/find/listing/2009-yamaha-raptor-700r-98623475/?zmc=cfem1

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
US color schemes
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78337

07SE and GYTR models, all 08 models, and all 09 models have the same hi/lo speed compression, single stage rebound, and preload adjustable piggyback front and rear shocks. I think there was a 5mm travel increase in 09 or something like that, but it's an irrelevant change IMO. 09 got the digital dash with speedometer readout. All other changes are quite minor.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You lucky gits pay alot less than we pay for them. I brought mine for £8200 last year think that works out to $13,499 and they are now £9200 :wow:

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Good deal but when they say low hours what are they talking about? Is it used? Looks like those back tires arent stock and to burn up the stockers id say you need to really shred for a good 2 to 3 months...Somethings fishy here i smell a swamp rat dealer me thinks!

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good deal but when they say low hours what are they talking about? Is it used? Looks like those back tires arent stock and to burn up the stockers id say you need to really shred for a good 2 to 3 months...Somethings fishy here i smell a swamp rat dealer me thinks!

ya i emailed and asked how many kms as well as any issues, roll overs, etc. Wasnt aware those were different tires though, thanks i will be sure to ask

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
The back ones aint stockers thats for sure. Usually they dont come with nerfs unless they had a special deal out like the pro armour 2010 SE model. So they may have sweetened it a little to try to sell it. Look it over really good when you get there dont take any chances. I never never trust dealers they all lie at one point. Remember if the deal is to good to be true then it usually is...I know my dealer was super nice during the sale and when i picked it up but next day when i came in to by some no-toil air filter cleaner he was super rude and dident want anything to do with me...What a grade A A-HOLE...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 6'4, 250 and have an '09 and I LOVE it. Very comfortable to ride with plenty of power to move my fat ass!

·
Ride or Die
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The back ones aint stockers thats for sure. Usually they dont come with nerfs unless they had a special deal out like the pro armour 2010 SE model. So they may have sweetened it a little to try to sell it. Look it over really good when you get there dont take any chances. I never never trust dealers they all lie at one point. Remember if the deal is to good to be true then it usually is...I know my dealer was super nice during the sale and when i picked it up but next day when i came in to by some no-toil air filter cleaner he was super rude and dident want anything to do with me...What a grade A A-HOLE...

ok sweet thanks man, im going to do alot more thorough searching to see if i can find any good deals closer to me but that will be one of my options if i cant as im still waiting for a reply

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Let me know where you are im usually pretty good at searching for the members on here and i like to help out as much as i can...

Looking for new or used
Price range
Se model or normal model
What year you looking for
If used...Modded or stock(stock is going to be hard to find)
Motor mods for used or just the big 3 (big 3 being fuel controler, pipes and air intake)

Let me know if you want my help im glad to offer it!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts