Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just traded for a 700 raptor in boxes lol the motor had had new piston and cylinder but looks really dirty insid so i pulled the top end and the timing was way off really dirty one of the cam chain slides had been left out so im cleaning everything and have ordered a book there is no up and dow play in the crank or rod but it seems like alot of wooble side to side on the rod bearing should there be any and how much and should i tear down further to be safe any help would be great im planing on putting a piston and cam in while its apart but im worried about the bottem

·
If it's too loud your too old
6,925 Posts
If you have no idea of the condition and how many hours are on it then IMO I'd go completely through it and put a crank and bearings in the bottom end. Look at all the trans gears and bearings while you're there. No sence in doing it twice, do it right the first time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have no idea of the condition and how many hours are on it then IMO I'd go completely through it and put a crank and bearings in the bottom end. Look at all the trans gears and bearings while you're there. No sence in doing it twice, do it right the first time.
+1 on that!!! You've already started pulling it apart, might as well go all the way and make sure there is nothing else that is in need of being replaced....

the alternative, you don't go all the way, you drop some $$ on the half rebuild just to find out on the first weekend out that something else lets go and you now have to do it all over again and none of the new parts you just installed are salvageable!!!

Tear it all the way down and start over, replace what you need to once!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a 660 in a box. I couldn't pass it up @ $600 but after pricing replacement parts and looking at all those strange pieces, I decided it wasn't worth the effort and sold it. Last I heard, the new owner was eclipsing $1,500 spent and still not done.

I've built many Jeeps from "parts" but wasn't willing to earn an education on ATV engine building.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts