Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. new to the site. i have a 2003 raptor 660. over the summer i replaced the clutch battery rear bearings chain sprockets and rear tires. since then ive rode it probably 2 hours and it rode great. then this past weekend i rode it about 2 hours and its was acting up. when i shut it off and turned it back on and shifted to first gear and hit the throttle it wouldnt move.it just revd up. i figured that the clutch cable was to tight and loosened it. it moves but not the way it should. 1st 2nd and 3rd gear should be lifting but its not. its just revs. could it be the clutch or the chain and sprockets? something else? any help would be great. thanks guys!

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Clutch

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Probably just needs adjusting if brand new clutch. Did you install a used clutch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no brand new. had a mechanic friend get one off of ebay and he installed it. wat do u mean by adjusting?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
no brand new. had a mechanic friend get one off of ebay and he installed it. wat do u mean by adjusting?
Adjusting means setting the freeplay in the cable. If the clutch continues to slip after you adjusted and you have freeplay, your clutch is probably burnt...............

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Thanks Willy

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the clutch that your mechanic used was ment for the 660 then it should be a wet clutch. Should be running 10w-40 in the crank case. If you have adjusted the cable out to its maximum then you prolly burnt up the clutch when driving it and it slipping at the same time. Are you sure your not screwing the adjustment the wrong way?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The oil should be wet clutch compatible, no energy conserving additives..........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is there a specific oil brand to use? and it is a 660 clutch. i just dont think my mechanic adjusted the clutch lever free play. if i squeeze a little the clutch is engaging. just my luck lol

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
is there a specific oil brand to use? and it is a 660 clutch. i just dont think my mechanic adjusted the clutch lever free play. if i squeeze a little the clutch is engaging. just my luck lol
If you squeeze the lever you should be disengaging the clutch.......If you are letting the clutch go, it should be grabbing slightly after letting the lever go from all the way in..............

·
Registered
288 Posts
If I'm using Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic, is that a bad idea? I burned my clutch out in one ride, could that be why?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If I'm using Pennzoil 5W-30 Synthetic, is that a bad idea? I burned my clutch out in one ride, could that be why?
Does it say wet clutch compatible on the container.

If it has energy conserving additives, it will ruin the clutch.................

·
Master of the Electron
15,550 Posts
It it says JASO MA it's ok. If it's SM rated, probably not! Just about all SM rated oils have anti friction additives that are not clutch compatible.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does it say wet clutch compatible on the container.

If it has energy conserving additives, it will ruin the clutch.................
It says resource conserving so it's probably the same thing as energy conserving. Taking it out now. I have Valvoline 10W-40. No energy/resource conserving crap on the back but it is SM rated. I'm guessing that won't work either? Are there any types of oils that I can use for the Raptor at an auto parts store? I heard Shell Rotella T.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts